UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cerrone, of course! How did I forget. Plus he had that BRUTAL headkick KO on Martins as well. He's 4-0 this year and is after another fight in November.

If he goes 5-0, yeah it'll be hard to vote against him.

I dislike Cerrone, but in a Matt Hughes sort of a way. I love to hate him, rather than just wanting him to go away..

I missed the Jim Miller fight, but the fights with Barboza and Eddie were both very exciting. The Martins KO was pretty dope. His wins have delivered on both an enjoyment level and a legitimate level. Outside the cage, Cerrone is hardly vanilla either. The smug so and so rubs me the wrong way (I understand why people think he is likable though). 

So yeah, Cerrone has been really good this year. 

Lawler will have a case though if he beats Hendricks (which I hope he will)

- Brown

- Ellenberger

- Close loss to Hendricks

With the previously mentioned win over Hendricks, that may rival Cerrone's resume. Cerrone will have the higher finishing ratio, as Eddie was the first one to go the distance with Cerrone all year (and he barely managed that)

• Paid Members

Highly recommend John Kavanagh's appearance on today's MMA Hour. It confirms everything we've been talking about. He and Conor clearly understand that they're in the entertainment industry, he mentions it many times, yet he also makes clear that once the contest is over it's important to be a class act and show respect. He also tells a funny story about stealing one of Conor's expensive suits and makes predictions as he heads over to Stockholm.

Between Conor, John, Gunnar and Paddy, SBG are pretty much my favourite team in MMA these days. I can give or take Cathal if I'm honest. That UFC tattoo is hard to forgive. But yeah, otherwise just a bunch of awesome, awesome guys who you can't help but root for. John in particular seems proper clued up about everything, both in and out of the cage. It's no wonder they all speak so highly and attribute so much of ther success to him.

I can't wait for the day when they're holding a couple of belts between them.

Completely disagree. Cerrone didn't own anything. It was a great performance. I'm not taking away from that at all. I actually rate this as the best win of his career and it really feels like he might've finally gotten over that hump. But this was no domination or owning whatsoever. I really think Rogan's verbal-wanking off of Cerrone is colouring some peoples' opinions of that fight. Not saying that's the case with you but I'm not seeing this 'Cerrone owned him' stuff at all.

No-one owned anyone to me. When it comes down to the last round to decide it and it's basically all decided on a couple of moments and exhanges, that's a close fucking fight. I agree that it didn't 'need' five rounds though. It was clear by the middle to end of round three that Eddie couldn't stand on that leg anymore. If it'd gone to a fourth I have no doubt Cerrone would've ended up stopping him.

Yeah, maybe the term "owned" was a bit strong, but I still feel like it was a clear win for Cerrone. Wasn't complete domination the whole way, Eddie was scrappy and willing to go, but Cerrone controlled things for the most part. Eddie got the first with the clinch flurry, but besides that the action was close. As you said, Cerrone was at his best in the second, and in the last round, Eddie was unable to stand after the damage Cerrone inflicted. Hard to call it a close fight when one guy cannot stand.

Conor and Cerrone are front-runners for Fighter of the Year, but I think Cerrone will get it, particularly as he wants to fight again this year, while Conor will probably sit out until February or something to fight Aldo. Cerrone wanted to fight 6 times this year, looks like he'll get 5 in. Barboza, Miller and Alvarez are top guys, and Cowboy has gotten some sick finishes on the way.

It's crazy, with such a large roster, not many fighters stand out for such an award. I don't think the top guys have stayed as active- for example, Aldo and Pettis seem to take forever between fights, and Cain, and Weidman... when was the last time Jones fought? Mighty Mouse is fairly active, as is Faber. With so many fighters, the "fighting 3 times a year" seems to have gone out the window for most.

• Paid Members

Just for the sake of adding more choice, mightn't there be a case for Dillashaw as well? Maybe just one match, but he went from rank outsider to completely dominating the at-the-time P4P best fighter in the world.

• Paid Members

I agree though, he comes off pretty meh and try-hard in an otherwise awesome team.

What makes Pendred a try-hard? Seems sound enough to me.

I haven't seen any of Paddy Holohan outside the brief clip they showed on BT Sport of his Dublin fight. He looks like he could be The Undertaker's son though. So I like him.

Yeah, maybe the term "owned" was a bit strong, but I still feel like it was a clear win for Cerrone. Wasn't complete domination the whole way, Eddie was scrappy and willing to go, but Cerrone controlled things for the most part. Eddie got the first with the clinch flurry, but besides that the action was close. As you said, Cerrone was at his best in the second, and in the last round, Eddie was unable to stand after the damage Cerrone inflicted. Hard to call it a close fight when one guy cannot stand.

He only wasn't able to stand in the last 90 seconds of the fight though. That's when he got dropped with the leg kicks. I'm not even disagreeing that Cerrone definitely won. There's no case to be made for Alvarez taking two rounds. But I do think it was closer (maybe more competitive is the right word) than a lot of people made out. Eddie cracked him good in every round at some point and nearly knocked Cerrone down early in the third. Cerrone then rocked him back. This all after going a round apiece. That's a close fight to me. The only bit that wasn't close was the last two minutes when Cerrone's leg kicking really started paying off.

It's crazy, with such a large roster, not many fighters stand out for such an award. I don't think the top guys have stayed as active- for example, Aldo and Pettis seem to take forever between fights, and Cain, and Weidman... when was the last time Jones fought? Mighty Mouse is fairly active, as is Faber. With so many fighters, the "fighting 3 times a year" seems to have gone out the window for most.

It's weird because you'd actually think it'd be the opposite. More shows means more opportunities to fight, which means more opportunities to get paid. Donald Cerrone and Robbie Lawler are two guys who are exploiting that to the fullest.

In fairness, of the names you've mentioned there - Aldo and Cain have been injured, Weidman keeps getting injured, and Pettis and Werdum have been shelved most of the year to do TUF. Jones last fought Glover in April. Then, you guessed it, got injured which delayed the Cormier fight.

Injuries and TUF then. Injuries can't be helped, it's a hazard of the sport. But I really hate when titles get put on ice for TUF. Pettis has actually, finally, been healthy since about May, yet he's been sidelined so they could film TUF. I get that they were in a unique spot because of the Melendez negotiations but it still is shit to have a division in limbo like that for a whole year.

Did Alvarez make any attempt to get the fight to the ground once Cerrone started using his leg for target practice? It might not have been easy because of the leg, but I don't remember Alvarez doing much of note to try and take Cerrone down.Alvarez came off badly because Cerrone was looking so much better with his striking and never tried or got the chance to try his luck on the ground.

• Paid Members

He made a few attempts but he didn't seem to fully commit to most of them. Cerrone was defending well also. Looking at the fight again, Cerrone's reach was the main factor. Alvarez had a rough time getting on the inside a lot of the time and nearly every time he closed the distance Cerrone either pushed him back with body kicks or slammed a leg kick in. Really smart tactics for Cerrone because the leg kicks took away Alvarez's ability to move in and out almost completely by the middle of round two. After that he couldn't get inside like he did in round one because his movement was hampered and slower.

The leg kicks really were key. Not just for the damage and dropping Eddie but it also took away Eddie's movement and weakened his takedown attempts. I didn't even really factor in Cowboy's leg kicking game much going in.

• Paid Members

Did Cerrone mention why he jumped into Alvarez's guard after dropping him with the leg kicks? Much like Rogan, I really thought he could get the finish if he let him up and went back to working the left leg. Alvarez was a sitting duck.

• Paid Members

I think he probably thought he could submit him. If you look at Cerrone's past fights he almost always dives on submissions when he rocks a guy, rather than trying to finish with strikes. He did it to Barboza, Siver, Guillard and Dunham. I took it as that but Alvarez did just enough to tie him up and see the final bell.

I definitely think Cerrone would've finished if he'd let him up though. Alvarez was fucked by that last 90 seconds. Either a leg kick TKO was coming or Cerrone faking low and coming up with a headkick probably would've done the trick.

• Paid Members

Cerrone said he did it cause he was tired in his post-fight interview. Think it was a case of Cerrone being smart. He had the fight won at that point and i think he was happy to run down the clock, especially when fighting a guy like Alvarez who's known for fighting back from the bring of the dead.

Never seen a meteroic rise in someones star as quick as McGregor. Very likable persknality who does his research in trash talk and even focuses on buyrates and things. Saw him years ago dominating on a cage warriors show and hes come as far as Dana saying he'll be bigger than Brock AND GSP. He's very refreshing for the sport and a real beacon of charisma. Wrestling could do with more guys with his level if charisma. Very, very impressed.

Archived