Paul Gascoigne in a bad way.

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Genuinely heart-breaking. I don't give a shit about many "celebrities" but Gazza is one of the few. He just cannot live with himself. Would love to think someone could help him turn his life around but I can't see anything other than him eventually killing himself because it's too much to take.

• Paid Members

Very sad to see this, looks like he's aged 30 years. Gazza was our adopted local hero growing up as he moved to our town following his transfer to Spuds, it's a bit of a thing that everyone has a Gazza story of when they've meet him etc. My Dad used to service his car. The only time I ever saw him he was at a petrol station, he was filling up his modified motor-trike thing and then got told off for sparking up a fag on the petrol forecourt. The silly bastard.

Jesus,that's very sad to see how fast he's deteriorated in a year.I've an uncle in the process of drinking himself to death at the moment too (in hospital last two nights for an alcohol related mild stroke,but he'll sign himself out as soon as he can get on his feet) and it's a killer watching him do it.No amount of rehab or therapists/counseling has helped over the last 10 years or is likely to help in however long he has left.

Walter Smith used to send him for a drink at half time if he wasnt playing well. Perhaps not the best support an alchoholic could hope for.

With the party culture at Rangers in the 90s, those players seemed to be on the sauce every other day. Drinking until all hours on a matchday. It was those years that likely sent him well on his way.

He stated in his book the only reason he went to Spurs over Man Utd was because Spurs gave him everything he asked for when signing on, even stupid stuff like a Car for his dad and a house for his parents.

I know it sounds a bit daft, but makes you wonder if a stint with DDP would do any help for Gazza, i know it sounds silly as he has been in some of the top rehab places in Britain and ended up back like this, but if you look at the state of Hall and Roberts before they went into the crib they were equally as bad as Gazza, i thought Scott Hall was only a matter of time but he looked pretty decent on Raw all things considered.

So maybe not DDP, but more of a 1on1 situation, almost like somebody fathering him and living with him, I'm not really sure such a thing exists here but it absolutely destroys me to see a hero of mine like this

• Paid Members

Man utd wanted him when he went to spurs, not to rangers. I do wonder how his career would have been if he has went to United.

To be fair, I'd say Venables did okay looking after him. It didn't start to unravel really until he went to Lazio, I'd say that was a bad career move.

I'd rather think of Gascoigne like this rather than that depressing photo :(

• 5 years later...

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I wasn’t sure where else to post about Gazza’s current court case. 

Paul Gascoigne trial: Ex-footballer kissed woman on lips 'to protect her'
http://news.sky.com/story/paul-gascoigne-trial-ex-footballer-kissed-woman-on-lips-to-protect-her-11836167

There are some great lines from him in this including:

“Automatically I went and sat next to her and said, ‘look, you’re not fat and ugly, you’re beautiful inside’.”

and 

“All I was trying to do was to help a fat lass”. 

Gazza is a piece of shit and has been for a long, long time. His beating of and psychological abuse of his then wife seem to be brushed under the carpet a lot by the mainstream media (compare that with it being brought up every second when Collymore's name is uttered)

I can synpathise with anyone who has severe dependency issues, but he's been helped time and time again by so many people. He just doesn't want to be helped, mainly because he's a selfish prat.