The Gaming thread - anything but video games

• Awards Moderator

A friend bought me a couple of months' subscription to a board game rental service (https://www.rentameeple.co.uk/) which has been really enjoyable so far.

Played Colour Brain, a simple party game of answering which colours match the question. 

Tiny Town: really enjoyed this one - make your own little town with competing resources and different building configurations. It's really easy to trap yourself with no space to expand. Recommended.

Played Catan for the first time, to my shame. Didn't quite click but will give it another go.

And on a similar note of 'missing the classics' I've got Agricola to play later.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ralphy.

I dont know what game I'd use these in but I need them. D&D party? Ted as a wizard, Dougal as the apprentice and Jack as cleric. Mrs Doyle- fighter.

Is that a trolley dash at Sports Direct? 

Posted Images

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

A friend bought me a couple of months' subscription to a board game rental service (https://www.rentameeple.co.uk/) which has been really enjoyable so far.

Played Colour Brain, a simple party game of answering which colours match the question. 

Tiny Town: really enjoyed this one - make your own little town with competing resources and different building configurations. It's really easy to trap yourself with no space to expand. Recommended.

Played Catan for the first time, to my shame. Didn't quite click but will give it another go.

And on a similar note of 'missing the classics' I've got Agricola to play later.

Fancied Tiny Town for ages, but haven’t bought yet.  Hopefully getting some dosh for Christmas so this will be a probable purchase.  

Settlers is a classic to me, but if it’s your first time, you would played similar but better in the past that will push it down for you a bit.  Love Agricola, in my opinion the best game ever released.  There is a family version too that is dirt cheap at the moment that is loads of fun.

Been playing Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion a lot.  Bought it as an introduction to the main game, and love it.  Most unique dungeon crawler I have ever played.

I have everything that has been released for Marvel Champions now that makes me a happy lad.

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Thunderplex said:

Settlers is a classic to me, but if it’s your first time, you would played similar but better in the past that will push it down for you a bit.

That was our guess, that so many others have built on a great mechanism. A bit like watching Citizen Kane for the first time in 2020.

• Awards Moderator
On 12/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, Thunderplex said:

Love Agricola, in my opinion the best game ever released.  

We adored it. Played it twice. So frustrating at first ("I'm never going to be able to get all my jobs done") to a screeching finish as everything completes. Going to buy the copy off the rental place. 

What games did you buy today you mentioned in the other thread? 

• Paid Members

Really glad you liked Agricola, it feels like a different game every time, just make sure you feed everyone!  Nusfjord is another one by the same author that can be gotten dirt cheap at the moment that it’s also excellent.

Caverna cave vs cave, which is a very stripped down version of Caverna, the massive sequel to Agricola, Gloom of Kilforth which is a fantasy deck builder and chocolate factory, which I don’t know much about, but the girl in Travelling Man said it was excellent solo and she had amazing tits, so I was convinced.  I have Paladins off the west kingdom on order from Amazon, and Dead of Winter from Zavvi.

• Awards Moderator

I have Dead of Winter, played it a bunch. Needs a good group and ideally at least 4 to make the traitor mechanic work. 

Agricola reminded me of Lords of Waterdeep which I love. Give it a try if you don't know it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

My second batch of Rent a Meeple arrived:

Photosynthesis: a competitive 'grow trees' game. Yes really. Very elegant and simple game of placing and harvesting trees at the right time to capture the most sunlight. More pleasing than it sounds.

Castles of Mad King Ludwig: construct a castle from random tiles and win points according to adjacency and patterns etc. LOTS of fun and I can see me buying this one.

Horrified: Universal horror flavoured hunt-the-monsters game. Great timing. Wonderful theme and camp fun.

Tang Garden: create the most beautiful Chinese garden. Many factors influence scoring. Hurt my head with all the different tokens and icons involved but probably gets easier with practice.

Castles and Horrified will be entering heavy rotation soon.

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 Love Horrified.  Just a simple fun game with loads of variety.  Tons of user made monsters on boardgame geek to add to it to.

@cobra_gordo they are fucking incredible!  Buying these tonight!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

We've gone game crazy in recent months,  what with Christmas and multiple lockdowns. The following is a selection of the new additions over the past few months:

Carcassone, Who Knows Where, Animals Of The World, Fluff (basically liar's dice), Labyrinth 3D, Scrabble, Subbuteo!

And to cap it off, my 9yo son got Pokemon Battle Academy for Christmas- which incudes three card decks, a board and a few other bits. We're both hooked. He's since got another couple of theme decks (he also had quite a lot of cards anyway but just collected them) and a Trainer's Toolbox expansion.

Played a game tonight where his psychic deck destroyed my grass/electric hybrid deck. He even deliberately let me faint one of his just so he could send out MewTwo to embarass me with a GX move to finish the game.

• Paid Members

Good to see you are bringing him up well!  Still love Carcasonne.  Play it mostly on the switch at the moment, but it’s addictive.