The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

There's another version of Betrayal called Betrayal at Baldurs Gate, that adds a few new scenarios and rules for characters. 

There's a Legacy version that a mate of mine got over Christmas. Looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:36 PM, Rey_Piste said:

As a Christmas present to myself,I have ordered the Aliens Vs Predator board game. The miniatures look really cool and it seems very similar to the Games Workshop game Space Hulk, which was a pubescent Rey's first foray into board games that weren't Monopoly etc.

How did you get on with this Rey? I'm tempted, I like the fact there's no assembly on the minis in the 2nd Edition but still nice and paintable. How's it play? I'm fancying that or Star Wars Legion but from what I've heard Legion isn't even a complete game.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally visited the Treehouse Boardgame Café in Sheffield over the weekend. Went with my Mrs and our two boys (aged 6 and 10) and thoroughly enjoyed it. £5 cover charge for adults and £2.50 for kids for a four hour slot and food and drink prices are fairly reasonable. They've got around 500 games in their collection, all really well organised and labelled as to whether they're good for beginners, a little bit more challenging or have very complex rules or to set up. They have a menu aswell to give suggestions on games to play organised in to starters (good warm ups), main courses (bit more of a challenge and lasting around an hour) and desserts (to wind down on) but you're free to grab any game you want.

We started off with Junk Art, which is a bit like reverse jenga, to give the boys something physical to do. It's a good concept and there are different sub-games which keeps things interesting. This was let down by the wobbly table we were sat at so the structures kept falling over so didn't play it for very long as it was getting frustrating.

We then moved on to Hey, That's My Fish! I had some reservations about this one with it's cartoony box and simple looking gameplay but of all the games we played, this is the one I really want to play again at a game night with mates. You place hexagonal tiles down to form a rough square, each with either 1,2 or 3 fish on. You start with two penguins and the objective is to move your penguin in a straight line from tile to tile collecting fish, most fish at the end wins. The tile you move from is yours and removed from the board, leaving gaps. Your penguin can't move through these gaps or over a tile occupied by another players penguin. It started off friendly enough but once everyone twigged the best strategy was to move only one or two spaces at a time and cut other players off a bloodbath ensued. The second run-through everyone was being sneaky from the start and ended up with the two kids ganging up on me and their mum. Would definitely recommend.

Third game was Cluedo as my eldest son had been asking to play it but our version at home has lost most of the bits so we took the opportunity to play the cafes version. Cluedo never gets old, both boys really enjoyed it once they got the hang of it.

I really wanted to play Raptor but it's only a two player so the boys went through some classics they were familiar with- Connect Four and Guess Who. It was great that they were able to get up and take the games they wanted easily as everything is so well organised and it's such a relaxed atmosphere. Raptor was a bit tricky to get used to at first. One player plays as the velociraptors, a mother and five babies, and the other player is a team of scientists. The raptor player has to either get the babies to safety or kill the scientists, the scientists have to knock out the mother or capture the babies. Once we'd got our head round the individual abilities each player has it was quite a fun, fast-paced strategy game. Would definitely warrant a second run through though but we'd ran out of time.

Hoping to go back again with some of our adult friends, make full use of the bar this time and play some of the more complicated games.

Edited by cobra_gordo

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Junior Cluedo is so much better than the adult version.

Finding out that Col Mustard ate the cookies with a glass of lemonade at 5.00pm is way more exciting than a boring old murder. 

We picked up Junior Cluedo as they had it in stock aswell but the boys didn't think it looked challenging enough so they put it back. Will have to give it a spin next time!

• Paid Members

A colleague at work was talking about the Monty Python edition of Fluxx yesterday. I've not played Fluxx for years. So much fun.

• Paid Members

Treated myself to Mansions of Madness the other week in the EBay 15% off sale.  Bloody excellent game that makes great used of the app.  Re-basing the figures this weekend and getting painting.

I really want to get a dungeon-crawler type game but I'm after something that I can convince my wife and mates who aren't keen on roleplaying games to play. I like the look of Dungeon! but I'd appreciate some suggestions. Something £50 or under would be good, board game format but Space Hulk style using tiles is fine, preferably with some minis for me to paint. Any ideas?

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I really want to get a dungeon-crawler type game but I'm after something that I can convince my wife and mates who aren't keen on roleplaying games to play. I like the look of Dungeon! but I'd appreciate some suggestions. Something £50 or under would be good, board game format but Space Hulk style using tiles is fine, preferably with some minis for me to paint. Any ideas?

Zombicide? Can get expensive but easy to understand and get playing, lots of violence but still strategic, pop culture references to hook people in, more models than you can shake a stick at.

Maybe try Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon. I can be bought for around 45 quid and comes with a bunch of minis. It's easy to learn how to play and has a campaign mode. So you start off at level one and as you go through the different levels you gain equipment and skills.

pic932235.jpg

There's also D&D: Castle Ravenloft, which is the same game with different characters and focuses more on undead enemies in the setting. There are a few different sets, all using the same rules, but with different settings within the world of D&D, but I've not played any of them.

Edited by Rey_Piste

• Paid Members

Having a bit of a Solo-Con today.  Got 24 points on Fields of Green, which I believe is quite shite.  Beat Takenoko 48 to 28 on the normal mode of the Automa, so will try the hard one next time.

8C32EC5F-AD83-4EC2-8B4F-7ED65C0CBEAE.jpeg

DE9FB911-3416-4393-88AA-4142EB463413.jpeg

• Paid Members

Its on the BGG Takenodo page in the Files section.  About 24 cards to print out (printer friendly and very lovely versions) and a sheet of rules.   Very straightforward.