The Gaming thread - anything but video games

Thunderplex

A mate of mine has just bought a game called Rumbleslam, which is like a Warhammer Pro Wrestling game. It is kind of like what Blood Bowl is to actual American Football. The models look pretty cool as well, there are superstar ones that seem to be based on real wrresters like an Orc Hulk Hogan and an Elf Roddy piper. You can look at them on http://www.rumbleslam.com.

I like it. At the moment it's only got a team Battle Royale mode so no rules for pinfalls or submissions but it's good fun. Doesn't have the depth of a game like Blood Bowl yet but it's a very good template. Our local gaming club had a full Royal Rumble with 30 wrestlers coming in and us drawing randomly and it went down well. The template of the game is there and they're supposedly working on integrating weapons and a "league" mode so will be interesting to see how it goes going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Does anybody on here play any RPGs? I've always fancied giving one a go but not sure how awkward it is initially or if I can convince any of my mates to give it a go without them feeling daft.

Mate, this is a wrestling forum, we ain't exactly scoring cool points when it comes to hobbies.  I used to live in a house chock full of role players and LARPers and they were all having a whale of a time.  Despite the stigma, it struck me as an incredibly social activity.

The hardest part of it is getting someone to run it and convincing your mates to join in. D&D is obviously the most well known RPG and in some ways easiest to get people into, there's loads of nuances but overall you roll a dice, see if you're successful and that's it as far as things go. In a social encounter (trying to lie to someone, or negotiate a better deal for selling junk for example) you've got a bit more grey area then "I try to hit a goblin with my greatsword" but that's easy enough to work out, just about passing might mean there's no deal but a great roll you get a better a price.

If you want to give it a go, pick up the players handbook, which gives you the various races and classes to play as along with most of the rules for actually playing the game and the starter box "Lost Mines of Phandelver" which gives you a few dice, a starter adventure (should take your party to level 5 and has a mix of different challenges) and some basic characters to play as if people don't want to create their own and then run some sessions and see how people get on. If they like it you can finish off the main set with the monster manual and Dungeon Masters Guide which aren't essential when just testing it out with the starter adventure but will be if the group want to play on either from that point or moving forward and starting fresh now people are more familiar with the game.

If you want to try it give it a go, it's a good excuse to get mates over for a laugh around a game and does seem to cater to all sorts of different people. They might be hesitant at first but by the time they accidentally nearly drown that NPC they were meant to rescue after causing a flood they should be enjoying themselves and hopefully asking when the next session is. I trialled a game with a few friends who don't play a lot of tabletop games or anything and Fridays have rapidly become D&D nights with a group of people who usually shun my more geeky interests.

Edited by lanky316

• Awards Moderator

Another good way to start with D&D is to try the gateway drug Pathfinder, which is D&D in a box. 

Seek out a gaming / comic shop in your town (you'll probably smell it before you see it). They are usually super friendly to new players and many have events just for beginners. 

• 2 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Played two cracking new games recently, at very different ends of the spectrum. 

Betrayal at the House on the Hill is a horror themed board game with the house being generated turn by turn. You're a gang that's exploring a haunted house. At a random moment in the game there is a 'haunting' and this dreadful event (one of 50 in the book) causes one of your party's sinister motive to be revealed. It flips from co-op to competitive in a single turn and you're soon trying to complete your objective against the clock. I played it twice and it was completely different because of the random nature of the game design. Well worth a go. 

At the less spooky end is Takenoko, another game where the board is generated every turn! However it's about growing a bamboo garden and feeding a panda. It's much more tactical than a first glance suggests, plus it comes with a cute panda figure. Great fun. 

If you like Betrayal at the house on the hill, there is also Betrayal at Waterdeep which is the same game with a D&D flavoured makeover. So instead of wandering around a mansion, you are searching ancient cobbled streets of a fantasy town. Both of them are fun games due to the random nature of them and the short play time.

• Moderators

I played the haunted house one a little while ago but the scenario we got was a bit crap. I'd like you give it a go again.

I played The Elder Sign this weekend. Lovecraft horror co-op dice game. It was fun, pretty short, and seems like it will have decent replay value due to the different combinations of characters, baddies and challenges.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Rey_Piste said:

If you like Betrayal at the house on the hill, there is also Betrayal at Waterdeep which is the same game with a D&D flavoured makeover. So instead of wandering around a mansion, you are searching ancient cobbled streets of a fantasy town. Both of them are fun games due to the random nature of them and the short play time.

Betrayal at Baldurs Gate isn't it? I own a copy and am still doubting myself.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I played the haunted house one a little while ago but the scenario we got was a bit crap. I'd like you give it a go again.

I played The Elder Sign this weekend. Lovecraft horror co-op dice game. It was fun, pretty short, and seems like it will have decent replay value due to the different combinations of characters, baddies and challenges.

I got the Reign of Cthulhu version of Pandemic a while ago, and even though it's got all the Pandemic engine greatness and awesome Lovecraftian aesthetics, it just doesn't have the same replay value or longevity of the original one, sadly. I've managed to extend it a bit by adapting the fan-made Government Lockdown scenario for the original, and come up with whole narrative to fit it, but that's the most I've been able to manage, which is a shame.

In happier news, Sagrada is finally back on the market, so when I'm a bit more flush with cash, will definitely be picking up a copy.