The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

• Paid Members

I actually quite like the card as a showcase of what current PROGRESS is all about, but it is true that the quality of the storyline side of things has taken a dramatic downturn ever since they moved to monthly London shows (with added Manchester).  They had the storyline pacing down perfectly when they were running once every 2 months (they were absolutely the best in the UK at this type of thing), but since they've increased the schedule it's not quite what it was.

You'd think with more shows they'd have more time to tell the stories they want and build things really well, but it hasn't worked out like that.  With Brixton for instance, instead of things building across the year to peak here, it has really felt like they've all-of-a-sudden had to cram a shit load of story, angles and build into the last two Chapter shows (Manchester 2 weeks ago; Camden last weekend) to get where they needed to be, which resulted in two reeeeeaaaalllllyyy looooooonnng feeling shows, with about 9 different segments on each.

Still, the quality of the in-ring side of things continues to impress, and the increased schedule means they continue to sell twice as many tickets as they were before, so I guess it's just one of those things.

I actually quite like the card as a showcase of what current PROGRESS is all about, but it is true that the quality of the storyline side of things has taken a dramatic downturn ever since they moved to monthly London shows (with added Manchester).  They had the storyline pacing down perfectly when they were running once every 2 months (they were absolutely the best in the UK at this type of thing), but since they've increased the schedule it's not quite what it was.

You'd think with more shows they'd have more time to tell the stories they want and build things really well, but it hasn't worked out like that.  With Brixton for instance, instead of things building across the year to peak here, it has really felt like they've all-of-a-sudden had to cram a shit load of story, angles and build into the last two Chapter shows (Manchester 2 weeks ago; Camden last weekend) to get where they needed to be, which resulted in two reeeeeaaaalllllyyy looooooonnng feeling shows, with about 9 different segments on each.

Still, the quality of the in-ring side of things continues to impress, and the increased schedule means they continue to sell twice as many tickets as they were before, so I guess it's just one of those things.

This is exactly the same as what has happened to PCW since the move to doing more shows elsewhere and trying to branch out to different areas, sure it all makes money but a lot of the storyline continuity goes to pot a bit. Hence why the Preston PCW shows have been hurt to a storyline effect and where the shows elsewhere have been fantastic because of the showcase style of things.

But onto the Progress Brixton show - there has been reason for the Atlas Final being Rampage vs Joe Coffey because of the 15 minute draw in a earlier round and i guess this can be the rematch to settle it. But as a whole the Atlas tourney has been good in places but sort of lack the direction regards the points and who needed what right until the last round of group matches.

ZSJ vs Ciampa is 1-1 and this is the rubber match - makes sense before they go off to pastures new.

End/Scurll/Haskins - End got screwed out of the belt, Haskins has beef from the Manchester match. I fully expect Jimmy Havoc to return at the end of the show to challenge the still champ Marty Scurll.

Riots/Brit Strong Style - Dunne/Seven are the new team on the up but maybe a few more shows before they got the title shot. If War Machine were available another match between the Riots/War Machine would have been brilliant to finish a trilogy.

Origin/FSU/Gallagher/Moser - All the 4 goodies have in one way or another been involved with the Origin/Faceless over the last year and this is the blow off to it all. As much as I hope the Origin stick together as they have been fantastic to watch over the last 12 months I can see them losing via a turn on someone like Nathan Cruz. As long as they leave Zack Gibson as Heel - he has been absolute money over the last few shows even just for comedy heel stuff.

Sebastian/Eaver - I am probably with everyone else on this, the whole explanation or lack of went down like a wet fart in church. Don't think anyone cares.

• Paid Members

The Origin are by far the best thing going in Progress at the moment. I'll be devastated if they break up. Despite being so great they haven't really done that much really. I'm hoping they get a big storyline and become the focal point of the promotion.

And stick the title on Zack Gibson pronto.

This is exactly the same as what has happened to PCW since the move to doing more shows elsewhere and trying to branch out to different areas, sure it all makes money but a lot of the storyline continuity goes to pot a bit. Hence why the Preston PCW shows have been hurt to a storyline effect and where the shows elsewhere have been fantastic because of the showcase style of things.

But onto the Progress Brixton show - there has been reason for the Atlas Final being Rampage vs Joe Coffey because of the 15 minute draw in a earlier round and i guess this can be the rematch to settle it. But as a whole the Atlas tourney has been good in places but sort of lack the direction regards the points and who needed what right until the last round of group matches.

Even if they weren't running more shows for other reasons, all these companies now with monthly on demand services have forced themselves into running shows to generate fresh content.

Re the Atlas tournament, if TNA had run a tournament where guys didn't face every other guy in a round robin they would have been mocked. Progress have got a bit of a pass on this in contrast. Nice idea on paper, perhaps bit off more than they could chew.

Edited by janb

they say they have only 250 tics left, sounds like its mostly sold out.

the zack sabre/ciampa 2 out 3 falls is probably the biggest 'blockbuster' match they have. i assume the origin will split up as well and they'll crown the atlas champ. And haskins will win the title (though it would have been better one on one). I guess its tougher to do it with their own guys, but more worthwhile if it comes off

The Origin are by far the best thing going in Progress at the moment. I'll be devastated if they break up. Despite being so great they haven't really done that much really. I'm hoping they get a big storyline and become the focal point of the promotion.

And stick the title on Zack Gibson pronto.

i dunno. ive only been going recently, gibson is fun as a comedy heel, but after the last two london shows, its hard to take gibson seriously. he got a lot of heat, but the stuff with gallagher is too silly for me take him seriously as a title threat

• 2 weeks later...