The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Got to go to today's Manchester show at the last minute. 

Absolutely blinding show. Probably the best show I've seen from Progress live. That's not to say that it had the best matches, although 4 of them were genuinely excellent, but it flowed as a show fantastically and more importantly it felt like they are telling stories again. 

• Paid Members
On 11/11/2018 at 9:21 PM, BrodyGraham said:

Got to go to today's Manchester show at the last minute. 

Absolutely blinding show. Probably the best show I've seen from Progress live. That's not to say that it had the best matches, although 4 of them were genuinely excellent, but it flowed as a show fantastically and more importantly it felt like they are telling stories again. 

I hate the way I'd have to buy my ticket before knowing if the show is worth it or not unless I want to fanny about with Twickets nearer the time. Apart from Wembley the group lost my imagination this year but if I'd known Devlin v Ridgeway and Lana Austin's debut wear happening, I'd have been on it immediately.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I hate the way I'd have to buy my ticket before knowing if the show is worth it or not unless I want to fanny about with Twickets nearer the time. Apart from Wembley the group lost my imagination this year but if I'd known Devlin v Ridgeway and Lana Austin's debut wear happening, I'd have been on it immediately.

The standard chapter shows are uniformly great. The problem with Progress for me is that they only really suffer by comparison to themselves. Whilst it feels like this year hasn't been the best year for them, every show has at least 1 match that's worth the price of admission alone. 

I'll admit to feeling deflated sometimes at the state of some of the 'big' shows recently but that's as much to do with the cards not feeling like a significant upward bump for the occasion, if that makes sense. 

I think I'll always make an effort to see them in Manchester because realistically for me it's a cheap day out and The Ritz is just about perfect for wrestling. 

One negative, can someone explain the appeal of Lana Austin to me? That's the second time I've seen her live and I seriously don't get her popularity. 

• 4 weeks later...

I may get a bit of heat from ultras for this however I found yesterday's event at the ritz a bit disappointing. Trent's open challenge v Dan Maloney was brill that suplex from Trent on the ring apron was a very hard bump and so was Haskins and Dennis tag against do not resuscitate. But besides from that I found the show quite repetitive in its delivery very samey, like the past few chapters could have all been interchangeable with no chronological storyline it's like go out, do a semi decent match, fuck off, next wrestlers. That was the show and the past few chapters. My first show was Sheffield earlier in the year and massively enjoyed it. I subscribed to demand progress later watched Wembley which was good and last months show at the ritz on demand progress but found this chapter (80) and 79 samey

Dont know what my stance on progress will be continuing might do what others have suggested book tix and if the card doesn't take your fancy put em on twickets or whatever it's called.

Anyway what are everyone else's thoughts on Chapter 80 Gods and monsters 

I feel Progress' Chapter titles latelty don't seem to have much imagination outside Camden. It's almost always a pun on a local band. In all the time they've been running Manchester, I'm not sure they've ever had one that isn't one. I just do the Birmingham Chapters as they're the only ones I can feesibly go to and they started out with Chapter 42: Life, The Universe & Wrestling. They saw the opportunity with the Hitchhikers reference and too damn right, they were going for it. But since then, it's just been the band references.

• Chapter 51: Screaming For Progress as in Judas Priest's Screaming For Vengence. Sure as hell cant complain as Judas Priest are epic and the graphic with the Progress Eagle in place of The Hellion was brilliant. Terrific show this one. This was when Walter won the Atlas Championship from Matt Riddle the first time.
  • Chapter 61: Don't Touch Me...Don't...Don't Touch Me: A lyric from Fit And You Know It by The Streets. This was one of those ones I had to look up to find out what it's referencing. First time seeing Will Ospreay after breaking out in Japan and after he won at Wrestle Kingdom.
  • Chapter 73: Fourth Shade Of Green: A play on Third Shade Of Green by Ocean Colour Scene. Didn't quite understand what the extra shade in reference. This wasn't the best Chapter I've seen to date, but was glad I finally got to see Toni Storm wrestle.
  • Chapter 86: Corrupted Harmony: The next one in March plays on Napalm Death's Harmony Corruption album. Looking forward to it as I finally got an elusive Front Row seat as each time I've gone online at Noon to secure my ticket, I go for it and click through only to be told they sold out, so I settled for the Gold or Spandau Ballet Section (Get it?) as I call it.

Whilst not much love has really been lost for Progress. It's tricky to see what direction they'll go in next. The Wembley show's buildup wasn't the best, but it certainly didn't let Will Ospreay and ZSJ's absence due to NJPW needing them and people were even more gutted over the latter with some Ultras getting rather hostile about NJPW for doing so when that's simply the risk any promotion takes booking someone signed to a company that has right of first refusal re: Indy bookings. One talent a show doesn't make. They salvaged it perfectly with the 3 And In series over the US Tour and the 2 Chapters in between. Although I found the final flawed as they put Tyley Bate v Mark Haskins in a match together to guarantee Walter had a challenger and Jimmy Havoc got his planned match with Ospreay sooner rather than later when he also need one more win when surely it would've been fairer doing it as a Triple Threat with them all.

My massive problem with the USA tour just before the last chapter was they changed the tag belts at such a huge time for the division and said the shows won't be uploaded until after the chapter show back which ment you have to read spoilers or you will be majorly confused and I was confused. It just feels lately there priority have changed so dramatically its a real letdown.

I echo the comments above though this year has been the worst in the company's history 

5 hours ago, I like root beer said:

I may get a bit of heat from ultras for this however I found yesterday's event at the ritz a bit disappointing. Trent's open challenge v Dan Maloney was brill that suplex from Trent on the ring apron was a very hard bump and so was Haskins and Dennis tag against do not resuscitate. But besides from that I found the show quite repetitive in its delivery very samey, like the past few chapters could have all been interchangeable with no chronological storyline it's like go out, do a semi decent match, fuck off, next wrestlers. That was the show and the past few chapters. My first show was Sheffield earlier in the year and massively enjoyed it. I subscribed to demand progress later watched Wembley which was good and last months show at the ritz on demand progress but found this chapter (80) and 79 samey

Dont know what my stance on progress will be continuing might do what others have suggested book tix and if the card doesn't take your fancy put em on twickets or whatever it's called.

Anyway what are everyone else's thoughts on Chapter 80 Gods and monsters 

So whilst I concur that this show wasn't as good as the last Ritz show, the stuff about there being no storylines in Progress right now is utter bollocks. 

Since Wembley there has been a concerted effort to build new guys and storylines.

At yesterday's show you had the furthering of the issue between Ridgeway and Robinson, more complications with the ongoing story of Mandrews losing his way and his ongoing issue with Dennis (a storyline that's being going for a year), the rematch between LAX and CCK that's obviously building to a blow-off and y’know the fact that the Do Not Resuscitate stuff was all over the show. They’re also building Dragunov as a major player going forward. 

Was it a comparitively flat show? Yes, but I'd say that, that was more to do with the DNR stuff still being in it's infancy than a lack of story.

In terms of match quality. I missed most of Ridgeway Vs Robinson but what I saw was crisp and the crowd were well into it. Ligero Vs Parker was alright but the best bit of it was the pre match promo from Trivet, who should really be the centrepiece of DNR. Mandrews Vs Dunne was a great match, hampered only by the fact I've seen it a whole bunch of times. I enjoyed Trent Vs Moloney despite the difficulties with the ring. The mad thing about the praise on this, is that this felt like the only point in the show, to me at least, that felt like 'Let’s have a match Just Because’, but even that was part of the ongoing Trent's Atlas Open Challenge gimmick. The Haskins/Dennis Vs Eaver/ Mambo match was probably my least favourite part of the show. The problem I have with DNR at the moment is that Parker and Mambo don't really work as heels for me yet so watching Mambo trying to get sneaky heel heat on Mark Haskins, who Progress book as a killer, felt off. Ilja Vs Tyler was good. Ilja is one of those guys that just looks and moves like he's dangerous. Tyler Bate looked even more improbable than normal, he looks like he's put on a bunch of mass since I last saw him.

Going into the main event,  I felt a little flat about the show, the previous Manchester show had 4 excellent matches and the  Gibson/Trent Seven Atlas Title segment which is probably my favourite thing I've seen live at a show. I'm not super familiar with  LAX or Jonothan Gresham but I'm thoroughly won over on them after that. Gresham showed a lot more character than I'd seen from him previously on top of his obvious talent as a worker and Santana from LAX was a really pleasant surprise. Hell of a wrestler. The spots and near falls built really well and by the time it was over everyone was going mental. Best tag match I've seen live by a stretch. 

• Paid Members
On 12/9/2018 at 3:40 PM, Jon-Carr_92 said:

They salvaged it perfectly with the 3 And In series over the US Tour and the 2 Chapters in between. 

Interesting take. I hated it. Found it unnecessarily convoluted compared to just announcing a main event title match and spending as much time as possible hyping it rather than leaving it til the last minute for people to know what they're supposed to get excited over. On their biggest show ever.

• 1 month later...