The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Air Raid has nailed that for me.

So much of PROGRESS’ foundations were built on the ideaology of characters, and storylines, and telling stories through in-ring action, and yet as they’ve continued and the WWE influence has grown, so much of that has rescinded almost down to nothing.

I look at my first PROGRESS show, Chapter 24 and compare it to the recent shows and the experience is wildly differentiating. You have wrestlers who have tell more of a story than “go out and have a good match” - which is pretty much the crux of all the most recent PROGRESS shows I’ve watched. It wasn’t just the company that had their own identify, it was the characters. Guys like Eaver, Mambo, Moser, a women’s division which had more substance than “champion vs woman who won on the last show”, The Origin, all either gone or chucked down onto the pre-show to make room for more guys the WWE want a better look at. The capacity for story telling is still there, as evidenced by their stuff with Freedoms Road as one example, but the main shows doesn’t reflect that. Those guys I mentioned earlier really felt like “PROGRESS” guys, but I look at the roster now and there’s nobody I can attach that to. I can’t remmeber the last time they’ve pushed one of their own guys organically. 

Was the ring there? Did you get a show?

Yes and yes. I'm still waiting on compo from Jon Farrar for Blackburn!

On a serious note though, whilst you can't really defend Progress for overrunning, the response on both sides on those fan boards is ludicrous. 

I'm on the Facebook group but between the people who absolutely won't have the company criticized AT ALL and the others who just want to start fights about the WWE connection, it's getting intolerable.

• Paid Members

They tend to announce a full year’s worth of Camden shows in the October/November previous. Tickets usually go on sale the midday after the last show, so October 28’s went on sale yesterday. Once a show is sold out a twickets site opens for re-sales.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Hey guys. Newbie here. How far in advance do the Camden shows get announced, what's the best place to hear about it when they do, and how quickly do they sell out? I can't see tickets for the next two on their site, so assume they are sold out already.

If you aren't on the mailing list and on your device the second they go on sale, you're pretty much fucked. Until closer to the show when people start putting them on Twickets if the card is underwhelming.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Cheers guys! Will hope to catch a show early in the new year. Will be my first live wrestling in years!

In spite of my criticism of the booking/stories, you basically can't go far wrong with them bell to bell. I went to every show they ran in Manchester, Birmingham or Sheffield 15-17 and every show had proper balls-out wrestling with nothing phoned in and most of them featured at least one match that made me think "that will be one of the best matches I'll see this year."

On 10/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, Accident Prone said:

I got into Progress for Ospreay v Havoc, Rampage, The Villain and The Origin. My interest peaked while British Strong Style were my baddies and CCK were my heroes. The promotion feels like it's lost its identity at the moment.

I was thinking earlier, Progress were founded on the basis of a long-term vision with the Jimmy Havoc character work, they executed that well enough that they're in the position they are in today. Though today it feels as though there is no vision other than to continue to exist. Their top stars nearly all being WWE, NJPW or guys who are on practically every indie atm like WALTER doesn't help them get an identity. I'd look ahead majorly, I'd more-or-less say goodbye to ZSJ and Ospreay if they haven't already and they need to rely less on British Strong Style too. it's time for Dennis, Mark Davis, Big T, OJMO, Trivet, Drew Parker etc. to really do substantial things in the company. Actually try with the women's division too - they're sub-WWE level atm and with the great standard of women's wrestling here which is imo at least as good as the men's there's no excuse for that.

Edited by sj5522

• Paid Members
On 10/1/2018 at 5:57 PM, BrodyGraham said:

Was the ring there? Did you get a show?

Yes and yes. I'm still waiting on compo from Jon Farrar for Blackburn!

On a serious note though, whilst you can't really defend Progress for overrunning, the response on both sides on those fan boards is ludicrous. 

I'm on the Facebook group but between the people who absolutely won't have the company criticized AT ALL and the others who just want to start fights about the WWE connection, it's getting intolerable.

Ah that fateful night at King George's Hall.

My thoughts on the Wembley show were this.

The ending to the Williams/Severn match was week, a cross body to finish, hardly any false finishes etc just made Williams look weak and his retirement not mean as much as it could, but it was the right stage to do it. Also it would have been a nicer touch to have some of the guys he came in to the business with at the top of the ramp from the old nwa hammerlock days, just felt like a progress goodbye and it could have been more.

the women’s match was far too overbooked for the talent in there.

Dunne should have lost to build to an even bigger match between the pair, they just seem to blow it off to quickly.

havoc/Robinson was ok just far too quick with no build. I have to admire the lengths the clean up team went to protect the wrestlers who were going to perform in the ring after that match, but they were the slowest clean up crew in history.

the tag title match I think delivered  in spades, my favourite match of the night.

Dennis/Andrews  was hamstrung by stupid booking of Dennis not taking the contract when he could have and the tables not giving way, leaving the table bumps just to look awkward.

for the overrun that is solely on the promoter. You say it will finish by 8.30 you work harder to make it happen. It’s all about management if matches overrun then you have to make changes. I think the hype videos must have taken up a good 30 minutes, they were good, but far too long and indulgent.

anyways I thought it was good but nothing better then I have seen elsewhere. I think everyone has upped their game and I think this to me showed me that progress need to up their game again.

the Wembley show to me didn’t feel special as standout against any other chapter. I think they just thought the cool thing was running the Wembley arena rather than making the event and the card the cool thing. With tours around the world and the country i just don’t think this event was given the attention from a show quality point of view that some of the original chapters had.

Edited by Dagr81

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Dagr81 said:

Haskins Edwards was hamstrung by stupid booking of Edwards not taking the contract when he could have and the tables not giving way, leaving the table bumps just to look awkward.

You mean Eddie Dennis vs Mark Andrews. Haskins faced Riddle. 

Whos Edwards?

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Dagr81 said:

The ending to the Williams/Severn match was week, a cross body to finish, hardly any false finishes etc

False finishes like the piledrivers, the Birminghammer, two Chaos Theories? Did you watch this match, or just fancy a pop at a crossbody being a finish.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Dagr81 said:

The ending to the Williams/Severn match was week, a cross body to finish, hardly any false finishes etc just made Williams look weak and his retirement not mean as much as it could, but it was the right stage to do it. Also it would have been a nicer touch to have some of the guys he came in to the business with at the top of the ramp from the old nwa hammerlock days, just felt like a progress goodbye and it could have been more.

Surely the crossbody finish was a pay-off to Trent constantly missing it all the time?

19 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

You mean Eddie Dennis vs Mark Andrews. Haskins faced Riddle. 

Whos Edwards?

Haha, I've not listened to the episode yet, but this probably explains the description of the latest British Wrestling Experience...