The PROGRESS Wrestling Thread

Bit off topic and totally anecdotal, but I was always wary of how far things are apart in London whenever I visited because I always took the tube everywhere.  Once I had walked to my destination in half hour it made me appreciate that while London is massive, you don't exclusively need public transport if you're able bodied.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Bit off topic and totally anecdotal, but I was always wary of how far things are apart in London whenever I visited because I always took the tube everywhere.  Once I had walked to my destination in half hour it made me appreciate that while London is massive, you don't exclusively need public transport if you're able bodied.

That is very true. When I was at university, which was in Russell Square, my mates and I would walk all over the West End - it's all ten, fifteen minutes walk away. 

1 hour ago, AVM said:

Not really (well not in this case anyway, agree in general wrestling online do say self entitled things), by not liking the venue I'm only expressing my opinion. I'll go either way and will go to future big Progress events there. I don't expect them to change anything, however, if loads of fans had a problem with a venue, I like to think a sound organisation like Progress might take it under consideration and show preference to London's wealth of other venues of that size range- for example, I'm heading to the Coronet tomorrow for Lucha Forever. 2,600 capacity, not far from Waterloo and London Bridge, lots of other things to do nearby in Lambeth and Borough- decent location for a weekender.

I’m guessing you’ve not been to the Coronet Theatre before?  There’s no way it holds that many for wrestling.  The entire top floor is useless for wrestling and I’d be suspicious about the middle floor having a good view.  I’d take a stab at the capacity for LF being 1200ish.

Plus look at it.  From the outside it looks like my garage.  There’s a prestige that goes along with running a venue like Alexandra Palace.

I can’t believe anyone would get pissy about them running AP three days in a row.  Not like it’s in the middle of the countryside.

1 hour ago, AVM said:

Not really (well not in this case anyway, agree in general wrestling online do say self entitled things), by not liking the venue I'm only expressing my opinion. I'll go either way and will go to future big Progress events there. I don't expect them to change anything, however, if loads of fans had a problem with a venue, I like to think a sound organisation like Progress might take it under consideration and show preference to London's wealth of other venues of that size range- for example, I'm heading to the Coronet tomorrow for Lucha Forever. 2,600 capacity, not far from Waterloo and London Bridge, lots of other things to do nearby in Lambeth and Borough- decent location for a weekender.

I’m guessing you’ve not been to the Coronet Theatre before?  There’s no way it holds that many for wrestling.  The entire top floor is useless for wrestling and I’d be suspicious about the middle floor having a good view.  I’d take a stab at the capacity for LF being 1200ish.

Plus look at it.  From the outside it looks like my garage.  There’s a prestige that goes along with running a venue like Alexandra Palace.

I can’t believe anyone would get pissy about them running AP three days in a row.  Not like it’s in the middle of the countryside.

• Paid Members

Y'know how the trains used to run Football Specials and Holidaymaker Specials?

I'm tempted to hire a van to give lifts to wrestling fans to Ally Pally, for the sole reason of being able to call it the WrestleXpress. 

I won't, though.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Likewise - used to hate the place the first couple of times I went because of it too. Felt like I couldn't do anything at my own pace, like I was just being shuffled from tube station to tube station. The first time I took a day to just go out for a walk, find my bearings, and realised that I'd just walked from Covent Garden to Hyde Park, then to the South Bank, and back, and how many other Tube stops and locations I passed along the way, it was like the whole place had opened up to me and I've loved the city ever since, and learned to make sense of the Tube after the fact.

• Paid Members

Another recco - if you want to grab drinks before the show but don't want to negotiate the queues inside the Palace or in the attached pub, The Gate right by the train station (opposite exit) is a great little pub, good atmosphere.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Another recco - if you want to grab drinks before the show but don't want to negotiate the queues inside the Palace or in the attached pub, The Gate right by the train station (opposite exit) is a great little pub, good atmosphere.

I second this. Cracking little pub. 

On 10/5/2017 at 2:31 PM, Carbomb said:

Sadly that's not really a feasible option when the seats are first come first serve.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Successfully bought front row for the Saturday show in New Orleans on WrestleMania weekend just now.

Got my Gold package for 'Mania itself a couple of days ago, so it's all coming together nicely. 

• 1 month later...