The best angle ever?

AshC

Inspired by the mention of the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage cobra bite, what do you believe to be the greatest angle of all time?

By angle, I mean a specific incident, rather than a series of things over an extended period of time.

Clips and, of course, justifications most welcome. :thumbsup:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Billy Gunn, Chuck Palumbo, Rico and some old man are standing in the ring. Billy and Chuck are getting married but then reveal this was a PR stunt of Rico's after all and they aren't actually gay. Old man says something like "Love is a sanctified bond and cannot be broken. Whether it lasts 10 years, 7 months or even three minutes. Wait a minute...did I just hear myself say...THREE MINUTES?"

Old man peels his FACE off, The Bisch is standing in the ring, crowd goes to shit as two awkward Samoans spoil the moment.

The Bischoff reveal is one of my favourite things I've seen in wrestling.

• Paid Members

"What I'm going to do, Triple H, is name him right now. As a matter of fact, I think you know the guy. And I think you know him pretty damn well. His name... is Cactus Jack."

Everything about that moment works, from the dried blood on the shirt to HHH's reaction. It's perfect.

• Paid Members

The single best, ever? That covers a lot of ground.

I'm not including a link because everyone's seen it, but I suppose the one that stands out in my mind most off the top of my head would be :

It's 27th May 1996. Mike Enos and Steve Doll are having a completely throwaway match on Nitro, and Razor Ramon jumps the guard rail and hops into the ring. The match stops, the commentators stop, the crowd stop. Nobody knows what to say or do, because RAZOR RAMON just got in the ring. In WCW. And he has a microphone in his hand. The whole wrestling world STOPS, sits up and says "What's going on????" Razor then takes the piss out of WCW's top brass and top wrestlers and declares war. The match is obviously an afterthought and never restarts, and the show tries to get back to normal, Schiavone and Zbyszko not knowing what to say.

Yes, people had left one fed to go to the other many times, often taking their persona with them, but this was different. Razor was a BIG name star and even though he'd not been on TV for a couple of weeks, anyone without the Internet to clue them in was flabberghasted to see him rock up on the other channel. The way it was it presented, with him gatecrashing the show, things grinding to a halt and then sounding like he was declaring war on behalf of the WWF, made you sit up and think "Is this for real??" We weren't smart like we are now. In reality an invading wrestler would be pounced upon by security and not allowed to get near a live mic, or it would have been cut off the second he picked up. Back then, we didn't know what was going on. At the very least, you might have thought that the WWF and WCW had suddenly agreed to create a storyline war between the two of them to bolster viewing figures and PPV buyrates and exchange talent with both "invading"/attacking the other. Either way, it was one of the most exciting things I could have imagined at the time.

Oh, and depending if "angle" can include something that happens during a match, the biggest hero of all time Hulk Hogan marching down to betray WCW and reveal himself to be "the third man" of the Outsiders alongside Razor and Diesel is right up there too. Mind-blowing.

EDIT - Butch, as much as I knew you would go with that one, I'm still glad you did. Powerful stuff.

• Paid Members

Randy Savage attacking the Warrior in the aisle at Royal Rumble 1991 will always be one of my favourites. I can watch that match on any day and still be shocked when Savage pops out and then again when he turns up and whacks Warrior with the scepter. I absolutely hated the thought of Slaughter as champion which makes it all the more heinous.

The Snake angle is absolutely classic. Undertaker locking Warrior in the casket is another utter shocker.

My all-time favourite will always be Bret interrupting that Davey-Owen match to form a new Hart Foundation though. Epic.

Billy Gunn, Chuck Palumbo, Rico and some old man are standing in the ring. Billy and Chuck are getting married but then reveal this was a PR stunt of Rico's after all and they aren't actually gay. Old man says something like "Love is a sanctified bond and cannot be broken. Whether it lasts 10 years, 7 months or even three minutes. Wait a minute...did I just hear myself say...THREE MINUTES?"

Old man peels his FACE off, The Bisch is standing in the ring, crowd goes to shit as two awkward Samoans spoil the moment.

On the one hand it was really entertaining, on the other hand it was such an incredibly moronic move. Actually, those are probably fingers on the same hand.

I didn't see it until years after it happened, but the Freebirds' heel turn on the Von Erichs was pretty awesomely done. It all unfolded in a completely believable and logical way, it was executed to perfection, you could see both sides' point of view, and the door swing itself was not only brutal looking but went on to influence finishes for over a generation. It was a perfect 'out' that protected Kerry, kept the belt on Flair and kickstarted a promotion's biggest ever rivalry. Just sublime stuff all round.

• Moderators

The finish of that match sucks dicks though, in hindsight. The match continues for 10 mins after Gordy slams the door and they leave, and the match stops with Kerry on offense when the ref decides he's bled too much. That takes some of the shine off for me. The door slam should have been the finish, 123.

Ah, see I thought it was! Only ever saw it in highlight/recap form. That would take the shine off, you're right.

Earthquake/Damian has to be up there. Can't imagine anyone watching that as a kid who wouldn't have been traumatised. Jake's sell of it was fantastic.

It's actually quite shocking to watch. I know Billy & Chuck were heels, but heels simply because they were gay. The crowd booing when Chuck was proclaiming his love for Billy was crazy. Steph getting a brutal Samoan Drop was rather shocking as well. Changed days!

• Paid Members

Most of mine are ECW angles.

Funk in the box was fucking awesome, no one knew he was there sandman falls into the box, cactus pulls him out but with a cover over his head, he pulls it off and pulls back to crack him one, BAM Terry funk is in the middle of the ring the crowd goes nuts.

Raven steals sandmans son and wife. Seeing sandmans boy stand infront of him as he goes to cane raven was great.

Sandman is blind....fuck me they fooled everyone sandman even stays at home so people dont see him out and about. Todd tells everyone it isnt an angle and sandman is "done" Only for sandman to rip off pads and beat the shit outa dreamer.

Raven beats dreamer everytime, a simple idea that ran and ran.

I couldnt find links to them which is a shame

One more recent one that stands out, not the best ever by a long shot, but maybe one of the better in the last few years was the Nexus' debut, before Raw no one even really was too bothered by the NXT guys but then by the end of Raw after seeing the way in which they shockingly ambushed Punk and Cena and basically pulled the place apart that's all everyone was talking about.

• Paid Members

The Kid beats Razor Ramon clean on Monday Night Raw. My favourite wrestling moment ever from the best Raw ever. Everything about that match and its immediate aftermath was just perfect.

Archived