What actors would you see/not see a film because they were in it?

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Yo, I saw in the movie news thread there's a new film with Tony Jaa, Dolph Lundgren and Michael Jai White in it, my first thought was I'd like to see that despite not knowing what it was about or anything (although I guess it's obviously not going to be a romantic drama).

What actors would you see anything they were in? I'd see any movie that had Nicolas Cage in it no matter what it was and I'd probably extend the same courtesy to Christian Bale. Conversely, knowing Will Smith or Joseph Gordon Levitt were in something would be pretty much a guarantee I'd never choose to see it.

Also similarly, what's the best or worst combination of actors you can imagine in a film? Someone asked me this a couple of years ago and I said I can't imagine a film worse than one that would have Danny Dyer and 50 Cent in it, I was mortified when I was told that they actually have starred in a film together. I always thought Christian Bale and Johnny Depp would prove a riveting combo but Public enemies unfortunately proved me wrong. I'd still like to see Bale and Cage in a film together, especially if they were trying to out perform each other with on screen freakouts.

• Moderators

John C. Reilly for me. He can turn his hand to absolutely anything. Comedic, dramatic and both at the same time with aplimb. From Hatcher in Casualties Of War, the AMAZING Chest Rockwell, he's even good in The River Wild.

Rik Mayall too, obviously.

• Paid Members

I would've said John C. Reilly but after watching Carnage I don't know if I can say that with confidence anymore, still love the guy though.

Matthew Mcconaughey has done a pretty good job of jumping from the "no" list to the "yes" list recently.

And if Mike Myers did a new film I'd be there on opening day but it would be special, I may not say that if he made as many films as Adam Sandler.

• Moderators

I refuse to watch anything with Jaden Smith in it. I loathe Zack Galifinakis also, and would generally avoid stuff with him in (although he has been the only bad thing in some good stuff, so he's not a 100% no)

Christoph Waltz is pretty damn great in everything I've seen him in, so seeing his name would make me want to check a film out.

I will watch anything with Gene Hackman or Brendan Gleason because they're such charismatic actors that they'd be worth watching even in something shit. I'll watch more or less anything with Jason Statham in it because if you like one Statham film, you're pretty likely to enjoy the rest. I'll also watch anything starring or directed by Mel Gibson. I love Mel, he's fucking insane.

I despise Seth Rogen, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Rogen is like Statham in that he just plays the same person in every film, but 'fat, smug stoner' is much less likeable to me than 'bald arse kicker'. I just can't be arsed with the other two and their pompously self-conscious, one note shite.

• Paid Members
What's your beef with Joseph Gordon Levitt, Bellend?

I hate his smug face and I've never enjoyed him in anything, I just don't get the appeal whatsoever. It's annoying though because I'd be well up for watching Looper if I didn't have to see that twat, someone tell me it's shit please.

edit - I also agree with Magnum about Simon Pegg being a cunt.

When I was a kid, I'd watch anything with the Highlander actors in. Now, I realise most people in my favourite films have been in loads of shite as well, so there isn't anyone who is a big box-office draw for me. A writer or director is more likely to get my attention rather than an actor.

I'm gutted that Magnum's hate list wasn't just "anyone under 25."

Who was it on here that got a DM from Simon Pegg for tweting that they didn't like one of his films?

• Paid Members
When I was a kid, I'd watch anything with the Highlander actors in. Now, I realise most people in my favourite films have been in loads of shite as well, so there isn't anyone who is a big box-office draw for me.

It can't have taken many Christopher Lambert films before you realised that.

• Moderators
Christoph Waltz is pretty damn great in everything I've seen him in, so seeing his name would make me want to check a film out.

He didn't save The Green Hornet, or the aforementioned Carnage for that matter.

He kinda saved Green Hornet in that it was only at all watchable because of him. Still wasn't good (Rogen's fault) but it would have been much worse without him.

Who was it on here that got a DM from Simon Pegg for tweting that they didn't like one of his films?

Steve Justice. But he came out of that story looking worse than Pegg for being so indignant about it if I remember correctly.

• Paid Members

I will watch anything Steven Seagal. Even when its bad (most of the time) old mumbles is hilarious. To be honest action heros are probably the only actors that are really a draw for me. Directors or genres are more important for me. Stallone, Statham, Arnie are all guaranteed draws. I have a dislike for Owen Wilson and Marky Mark but I'd still see there films if they vaguely interested me.

Archived