UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did not enjoy Cormier vs Hendo, I though it was a needless mismatch

Yes, Cormier is a beast and the fight showcased his talent against a MMA legend, but it was all a bit sad. I am not a Hendo fan, but I am not some sadist who is going to enjoy watching him get mauled in such a way

Hendo had nothing for Cormier, he was smaller, slower and a lot less skillful. Watch Hendo's last two fights, one was a blow out against Vitor and the other was a win after being soundly beaten for 2 rounds. It was a tad like Larry Holmes vs Ali, the winner was the better fighter at the time, but you felt more bad for the loser than admiration for the winner. I am a big Cormier fan, I like him a great deal, but I could not enjoy him mauling Hendo.

I hope they give Hendo a more sensible challenge if he is to continue.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in shock. I don't know if it'll get the same overall recognition amongst fans and as a piece of MMA history, but to me, this was more shocking than Weidman vs. Silva. Weidman was impressive, but Dillashaw fucking dominated for 23 minutes.

This was on a different level from the Anderson/Weidman upset. There was no freak injury here, Barao wasn't caught clowning around. It was a legit beatdown and win.

As for Cormier/Henderson, it was blatantly obvious that Henderson was fighting someone much bigger than him. Weighing in at less than 200lbs for a light-heavyweight fight? That's mental.

He can still do something at middleweight I think, so a drop down is the only option really.

Cormier really is boring, isn't he? It takes a lot to make me zone out when watching someone, but whenever Cormier got the takedown I would immediately lose a bit of interest. The complete lack of crowd reaction to anything he does is really telling.

The crowd actually gave him the booing treatment for a fair whack of his GnP. Not sure if it was more a case of a Pro Hendo crowd, or anti-DC reaction. Quite harsh, I think, as DC does stay active when hes on top. I guess the issue is he never looked close to stopping Hendo through Rounds 1 and 2, despite being in full or side mount for the majority of the time.

With all that said, if Jones wins his next fight, DC vs Jones is surely the biggest money match the UFC have in the near future.

• Paid Members

I'd been avoiding this thread, because I wanted to catch the show later, but I'm just not getting the time I need to do so, so I just figured I'd get the results here, and I'm shocked. SHOCKED, I tell you.

I don't think I'm going to declare who my favourites are any more, because clearly I've gone and fucking jinxed Barao.

• Paid Members

I've been away all weekend and was planning on watching the two top fights this morning, but sadly one wrong click later the result was spoiled.

I did catch the two fights and I was even more impressed when I saw the way Dillashaw bossed the fight. It's a great summation of what makes MMA such a fun sport to watch, as nobody was giving Dillashaw much of a chance, but he came in there and executed a game plan so perfectly that he bossed a bloke you can solidly make the case is the P4P best in the World. Rogan pointed out that Dillashaw could coast for the last two rounds, such was his dominance, but full credit to him as he spent the time looking for the finish. Oddly, the other contender for "biggest upset ever" (Silva/Weidman 1) was also spoiled as I forgot all about it. Fucking spoilers!

Disagree with those saying DC is dull. Like GSP, I enjoy watching him use his elite skill to nullify the weapons of his opponent and eventually dominate them enough that he breaks their fight/spirit a little. Not many blokes boss Hendo, but it was quite something seeing him getting thrown about like a wee lad.

DC was spot on with is post-fight promos, calling out Jones and stating that the longer Jones waits the worst it will get for him when they eventually meet.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't find Cormier boring. I think he sometimes is a bit hesitant to throw big punches given his issues in the past with breaking his hands, but I don't find him dull. It's not like Fitch or Shields where they get a takedown and you know that that's it for the round and hardly anything will happen. Cormier threw a couple of front kicks flush to Hendo's face on the feet, there was that huge slam and the leg sweep afterwards, couple of other big takedowns and once they were on the ground he was working non-stop. Going for armlocks, he got the crucifix briefly and was landing some shots, and of course he finished the fight and choked Hendo unconscious. I don't know what other way people thought Cormier would fight to be honest.

• Paid Members

Quick question: what are the rules regarding palm strikes or other open-hand strikes? Because surely, if legal, it would be a good way for Cormier to circumvent his hesitance.

• Paid Members

I think I'm right in typing DC is 15-0. From his point of view (and his camp), he has no reason to change up what he's doing. I enjoy watching somebody great executing a game plan with minimal fuss or problems. He's currently on a different level to most fighters on the planet.

• Paid Members

True, but as he faces higher and higher level opposition, he's going to need to be able to adapt his game, because sooner or later, they're going to start adapting to his. Against a guy like Jones, he'll need as big an arsenal as he can get (while not forgetting what brought him to the dance, obviously).

• Paid Members
True, but as he faces higher and higher level opposition, he's going to need to be able to adapt his game, because sooner or later, they're going to start adapting to his. Against a guy like Jones, he'll need as big an arsenal as he can get (while not forgetting what brought him to the dance, obviously).

I get what you're saying but, in fairness, that's what he has been doing so far and he's been impressive. He's getting better every fight. It's not like he's a one trick pony, he's won comfortably standing and by wrestlefuck.

I agree a fully fit Jones is THE test for anybody in the division, but what impresses me most about DC is that GSP-like fighting plan and execution, where he looks at the opponents strengths and looks to squash the chances of the opponent using those strengths, such is his growing versatility. He's the complete opposite of Jones' more spectacular and hubristic approach to fights. Of course, Hendricks showed that these things don't always come off if you're against a well rounded bloke.

If/when he fights Jones, it'll be interesting to see how much both men have improved on the day and what plan both camps will try and implement. If DC can stay fit and motivated, it's a belter of a fight.

• Paid Members
I can thing of few sadder things than voting in these polls after the result, as if it's somehow an achievement in getting the pick right.

Haha I knew it was coming. Every event it happens. I wonder if they do the same with the Lottery and pretend they're a millionaire.

Archived