UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

yeh, he's popped up on Boxing Matters on Boxnation a couple of times too... he was on there once and ripped the piss out of Colin Hart on there, Hart didn't look happy.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm looking forward to seeing Kikuno again. I missed his fight in Singapore. Saw Tsuyoshi Kosaka with him at the weigh in as well which was cool. Still looks in top shape.

Some good fights tonight which I've kind of sold short in the opening post. I'm liking the look of Iaquinta vs Clarke and Trinaldo vs Chiesa in particular. And I'd be very surprised if Varner vs Krause isn't exciting. I find Varner unlikeable but it's undeniable he just doesn't do boring fights.

I bloody love a bit of GAD.

My opinion of you just plummeted, my friend.

GAD is such an obnoxious cunt. He seems to really be in full-on bellend mode this weekend as well. At that UFC 175 press conference he piped up and said he wanted to ask two questions. He got his two questions in, then some other reporter went to ask something and GAD cut in with an arsey 'hang on a minute' and asked another question. I know a fair few media folk in general are like that, trying to get their shit in over others, but he asked for two questions and he got them. Then cuts someone else off when it's their turn. That bloke should've told him to go and wank into his green handbag the tosser.

Why he thinks he's superior to the other MMA and Boxing media members, I really don't know. It's a fucking head scratcher to me how he even gets work considering the prick still doesn't know it's Urijah Faber. U-rijah. Not Err-iah. And that's just one minor gripe of many. He should be grateful he gets flown out to Vegas on BT Sport's coin and gets paid to cover MMA, considering he's fucking shit at it and is just lucky no-one important seems to have noticed yet so he's gotten away with it up to now. There's plenty of good media in MMA. Ariel Helwani, Mike Chiapetta, Luke Thomas, Ben Fowlkes, Jeff Wagenheim, Brett Okamoto, Jordan Breen...fuck, there's probably about 10 more I'm overlooking. Yet this big lump of hair and sweat gets his fat fucking pompous face everywhere. Now he's even butting in on Helwani's interviews for fuck's sake. He's really, really awful. Definitely a knobhead of the bad variety.

Classic rant above, a big thumbs up for getting in a comment about the green handbag.

In all seriousness, GAD's initial problem with Helwani was stupid anyway. Having a go because he did not physically restrain Mayhem?, what purpose would it serve if he did. If Helwani live on air tried to restrain Mayhem things could have gotten nasty. Helwani did himself a favor by just calmly asking him to stop and letting the nonsense run its course. Mayhem was the one who looked bad, not Helwani. Plus, it is not like Helwani knew Mayhem was going to act the dope on air.

GAD is complete shite, but he is funny in a David Brent sort of way.

• Paid Members

Too late to post full thoughts, but HOLY SHIT. I think I agree with Rogan that Dillashaw's performance was the best I've ever seen. Stunning.

Cormier is on another level too.

Oh, and FUCK GAD. Fuck him right up the ass. Detestable cunt of the highest order.

I'm in shock. I don't know if it'll get the same overall recognition amongst fans and as a piece of MMA history, but to me, this was more shocking than Weidman vs. Silva. Weidman was impressive, but Dillashaw fucking dominated for 23 minutes. Barao did not look like a fighter on a 35 fight unbeaten streak. Not to say he didn't look himself though, because he started in the same way he always does, then TJ got the first knockdown and ran away with it from there. Nothing fluky, no extraneous circumstances, Dillashaw was just better.

To think the only reason I watched this was to avoid marking/lesson planning. Didn't think it would be anything special, but I really enjoyed the whole thing (well, the main card is what I watched). The main event bumped it up a few notches too.

Other thoughts:

Jamie Varner is extremely tough. Kudos to the production guys for finding all those sick ankle twisting moments to replay in slow-mo. What a warrior.

Did Francisco Rivera fuck Joe Rogan's wife or something? Rogan was very critical of him, so much so that he was ignoring the great work Mizugaki did. That knockdown after catching the kick was a great moment for his highlight reel.

I figured Robbie Lawler would establish himself as the better fighter, but not by that margin. What the hell has happened to Ellenberger? At one time he looked like an absolute killer, but there's two consecutive fights that he's looked like a deer in the headlights.

Wow, Cormier destroyed Henderson. The size difference was insane. Hendo tried to survive with a few nifty techniques and scrambles, but the weight difference was too great. I hope he takes one more fight at middleweight and rides off into the sunset. I don't think he has much left, but to get smothered like that is no way to end a career.

The last three fights all featured finishes in the final round, with the victors clearly ahead on the scorecards already. Respect.

• Paid Members

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. I don't think anyone called Dillashaw to pull this off. Much less via a dominant four rounds capped off by a TKO in the fifth. What the fuck?!

Now, as of now, no-one in the poll picked Dillashaw. Not one. Lets see how long it takes for the after-the-fact voters to come along :)

Unbelievable though. I will say I was thinking Barao looked very gaunt at the weigh in, let's throw that out there right now. But nothing that would explain away the utter dominance Dillashaw showed tonight. He dropped Barao in round one. Even with a bad weight cut, Barao wouldn't have faded that quick, so that excuse is out. There simply is no excuse. Dillashaw just fought beyond what pretty much everyone outside the Team Alpha Male gym thought he was capable of. Incredible performance.

More impressive than Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson though? Nah. Come on, Rogan. Let's not go mad. Still, mind blowing stuff. And great scenes with Ludwig and Faber in the cage post-fight. Alpha Male finally wins the big one!

Brazil used to have a stranglehold on UFC titles, now Aldo is going solo as far as Brazilian UFC champs go. How times change.

Cormier looked great. Hendo was tough as always but ,as expected, Cormier was just too much. That must've been soul destroying for a guy like Hendo. If Cormier had just knocked him out in round one he could've used the old 'just got caught' line. But this was pure dominance on every level. That slam in the third was ridiculous. It was like me throwing my 7 year old nephew. Hendo at 185 then? Who's he fight next, do we reckon? I've never thought about it before but at this point Hendo vs Bisping 2 could be fun. Why not?

I love Robbie Lawler. Awesome performance. It seems Ellenberger is a frontrunner and Lawler took advantage of that expertly by bullying him from the off. Great to see him bounce back in style. Fuck it. If Diaz isn't coming back, let's have Robbie Lawler vs Matt Brown!

Jamie Varner is tough as fuck! That was just brutal to watch.

• Paid Members
GAD is such an obnoxious cunt. He seems to really be in full-on bellend mode this weekend as well. At that UFC 175 press conference he piped up and said he wanted to ask two questions. He got his two questions in, then some other reporter went to ask something and GAD cut in with an arsey 'hang on a minute' and asked another question. I know a fair few media folk in general are like that, trying to get their shit in over others, but he asked for two questions and he got them. Then cuts someone else off when it's their turn. That bloke should've told him to go and wank into his green handbag the tosser.

Why he thinks he's superior to the other MMA and Boxing media members, I really don't know. It's a fucking head scratcher to me how he even gets work considering the prick still doesn't know it's Urijah Faber. U-rijah. Not Err-iah. And that's just one minor gripe of many. He should be grateful he gets flown out to Vegas on BT Sport's coin and gets paid to cover MMA, considering he's fucking shit at it and is just lucky no-one important seems to have noticed yet so he's gotten away with it up to now. There's plenty of good media in MMA. Ariel Helwani, Mike Chiapetta, Luke Thomas, Ben Fowlkes, Jeff Wagenheim, Brett Okamoto, Jordan Breen...fuck, there's probably about 10 more I'm overlooking. Yet this big lump of hair and sweat gets his fat fucking pompous face everywhere. Now he's even butting in on Helwani's interviews for fuck's sake. He's really, really awful. Definitely a knobhead of the bad variety.

Perfect.

I think Dillashaw winning the title would have been my favourite moment of the night had it not been for a moment in the third round of Cormier vs. Hendo, where Cormier just simply slams him, and when Hendo tries to get away when he gets back to his feet, Cormier just simply sweeps him back down again. The slam was incredible enough as it was, so the sweep just added some awesome to it.

I thought from the prelims to the main show, it was just a cracking show all in.

• Paid Members

I forgot to mention, I loved Hendo's post-fight interview. In amongst all the heavy breathing;

"He felt really heavy on top. Maybe I shouldn't have given him that chicken."

How much Popeye's do you reckon Cormier has downed in the last 12 hours?

BhL25jmCMAAu4O9.jpg

What a great performance by TJ Dillashaw it must be one close to be being one of the best performances in an MMA fight ever. Really strange fight in terms of historical significance as with Dillashaw being the 4th Fighter from the Ultimate Fighter to win a UFC title after Griffin, Evans and Serra its amazing the show managed to have 10 seasons between being able to produce a champion. Also he is the first TUF competitor to win a title who didn't win their season, the first Alpha Male fighter to win and Barao is the first champion under 155lbs to lose a title since the divisions were introduced.

The rest of the night was pretty good Cormier looked amazing and think he would certainly be a challenge for the winner or Jones vs Gustafsson.

Also very impressed by Jamie Varner's fighting on one leg approach and although maybe not the smartest move it was still bloody impressive.

Before last night I could not have picked TJ Dillashaw out of a identity parade. Now I consider him to have been responsible for one of the greatest performances in MMA history.

Dilashaw was crisp and diverse with his striking, and showcased great head movement. He set his strikes up so well that there were visible moments where you could see Barao being wide open, and Dilashaw in perfect position to pounce

A new star is born, and to think I was going to skip the Main Event!

• Paid Members
Really strange fight in terms of historical significance as with Dillashaw being the 4th Fighter from the Ultimate Fighter to win a UFC title after Griffin, Evans and Serra its amazing the show managed to have 10 seasons between being able to produce a champion. Also he is the first TUF competitor to win a title who didn't win their season

Was Jonny Hendricks on TUF?

Really strange fight in terms of historical significance as with Dillashaw being the 4th Fighter from the Ultimate Fighter to win a UFC title after Griffin, Evans and Serra its amazing the show managed to have 10 seasons between being able to produce a champion. Also he is the first TUF competitor to win a title who didn't win their season

Was Jonny Hendricks on TUF?

I am 95% sure he was not

Archived