UKFF's Favourite Promo: THE FINAL

JNLister

Greatest promo ever  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Maybe all your favourites aren't there. But it's great to see a range of eras represented, and so many heavy hitters too.

I'm inclined to go 3:16 or nWo, both so crucial to the following few years. But despite the pummelling he's taken in that thread, I really bloody love that return of Cactus Jack promo. Going to stew on it a while.

When's the closing date John?

• Moderators

It's impossible for me, having devoted so much time to unpicking the context surrounding the Pillman promo (see sig etc), that I just can't vote against that. It didn't even make sense to me at the time, and nearly two decades on, now that the whole world is a smart mark, it's lost none of its power.

Struggled between Austin 3:16, Rock/Austin sitdown and Heyman on Vince but went for Heyman in the end, just an amazing promo, not over the top at all, don't normally like shoot stuff but everything about it is great, Heyman's delivery, his voice going at the right times, Vince not saying owt, was one of the best things about the Invasion angle (not saying much admittedly)

I didn't vote for any of the earlier rounds but the best promo on that list is blatantly hard times. There are other ones there that are probably more significant, but hard times is beyond wrestling. It's just incredible. None of the other promos come anywhere near it really.

• Awards Moderator

I voted Hard Times as well. I've never been a massive Dusty fan but that promo is spectacular - does its job perfectly, and makes you care. As Vamp says, maybe not the most important one when you consider context, but without a doubt the best one on this list.

• Moderators

I buckled and voted for Dusty. Great promo and not even his best one. I'm refusing to accept CM Punk's promo about having Thalidomide arms is the 3rd best promo OF ALL TIME, like where it currently stands. There's far too strong of a modernist slant, so Dusty's the only choice.

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. That's not even CM Punk's best promo, how is it nearly winning? Somebody better explain themselves - UK Kat Von D excluded. Punk's promo to Rey Mysterio where he sung happy birthday to his daughter was dozens of times better than this. And his various ones to Jeff Hardy.

Voted Pillman just ahead of Dusty. No Jake Roberts in this is ridiculous. I wish that Dave Schultz one was in this, that was funny as fuck. Look at this:-

• Paid Members

Nobody at all willing to stick their neck out and defend their vote for CM Punk then? What's that all about? Shameful.

I voted for Dusty's 'Hard Times', but man, it was a tough choice between that and Austin 3:16. Both are such iconic, character-defining moments. 'Hard Times' is certainly Dusty's most iconic promo ever as it sums up everything that he represented and I suppose that is what elevates it above his other great ones. I actually thought his 'View Never Changes' promo might be better, for example. I plumped for Dusty over Austin for those reasons Vamp gave- I think you could show that promo to absolutely anybody, wrestling fan or not, and they would be able to identify and sympathise with the man and his message. Beyond wrestling indeed, that's real emotion.

I find it interesting that two of the greatest promos of all time - Austin 3:16 and the birth of the nWo, came in different promotions within two weeks of each other during a period when the future of professional wrestling was not looking all that bright at all. A case of necessity being the mother of invention, perhaps? It's hard to say what the business of pro wrestling might look like today if it wasn't for those two moments.

Archived