TUF 19: Team Edgar vs Team Penn

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

So Eddie Gordon is the first TUF 19 finalist. Beat Cathal Pendred in the semis in this week's episode. Pendred's already been announced as fighting fellow TUFer Mike King on the Dublin show on July 19th.

I've done my usual thing of starting off TUF enthusiastically, and dropping right the fuck off after a few episodes.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

yeh the fight was slightly better this week, nothing to really write home about though. Having said that, im really failing to see anything that justifies Cathal Pendred having any of the hype he's been given?

• Paid Members

Is Pendred getting a lot of hype though? It's just been me really in here saying I think he seems a good guy. He got some attention for saving the baby dolphin and gets some love because he's McGregor's team mate. Apart from that I haven't seen much hype on him. He's not exactly getting the McGregor treatment.

I like him though. And he's decent enough. 13-2, Cage Warriors champ, stopped Che Mills. Nothing remarkable so far, but not bad.

Luke Barnatt's the UK fighter I don't see the fuss about. Decent at best. I've seen him touted as some future contender but I don't see it at all. People say McGregor hasn't fought anyone but his opposition's been much better than Barnatt's. Sean Strickland was unbeaten so fair enough. But Andrew Craig and Mats Nilssen are no great shakes from what I've seen. Plus he was eating bombs off Nilssen a bit too easily and regularly for me to see him as too much of a prospect. Yet people seem to see something in him. It was the same with Meathead for a while. Just a prelim level, sometimes main card, brawler and nothing more. Fun for what he is but basically a heavyweight Leonard Garcia. But I saw people going on like he was some hot prospect until Kongo humped him into oblivion.

• Paid Members

First time I've been DVRing rather than downloading TUF, but it's also been a vicious downspiral. I've been largely fast-forwarding the house stuff because I've literally seen it all 19 times before, but in turn I've been fast-forwarding or paying little attention to the fights because as a result of fast-forwarding the house stuff I don't know or care much about the fighters.

• Paid Members

well hype might have been the wrong word, but theres definitely a buzz around him, first off i think being a Cage Warriors champ gives you some momentum to start off with but its more the fans talking about him, Dana says on the show himself that the fans have been pestering him about bringing Pendred in...maybe its the Conor McGregor connection factore.

Maybe outside of the house situation he'll shine but ive seen nothing from him so far that tell me that hes anything more than a very average 205lb'er.

same with Chris Fields for that matter.

• Paid Members
Maybe outside of the house situation he'll shine but ive seen nothing from him so far that tell me that hes anything more than a very average 205lb'er.

He's at 185 on TUF and was the 170 champ in CW. Maybe he'll drop back to 170 after the show. But yeah, he hasn't looked particularly impressive in the two fights so far. Either way, at 185 or 170, he's in one of the UFC's most stacked divisions so he's going to have to be something special to shine in those shark tanks. And I can't see him getting that far based on what we've seen so far.

I looked him up now and saw his age. He's only 26.

cathalpendred_sbg.jpg

Look at that hairline.

• Paid Members
When you rewatch the first fight, you should post your thoughts in the thread Wand :thumbsup:

Round 1: Penn 10-9

Round 2: Penn 10-9

Round 3: Penn 10-9

Round 4: Edgar 10-9

Round 5: Edgar 10-9

So yeah, 48-47 Penn.

BUT...

I'm not feeling this robbery talk. I thought Penn definitely took the first two rounds. I had Edgar comfortably taking the fifth. It's those middle two rounds that are the tricky ones to score. I gave Penn the third and Edgar the fourth, but I could easily see the argument for it being the other way around or either guy taking both rounds. Which could mean scores of anything from Penn winning 4-1 to Frankie winning 3-2.

A robbery is when you can't possibly fathom any way that one guy could've won more points than his opponent, yet still gets the nod. In a fight where there's no 10-8 rounds, if you can logically give three rounds to either guy then it's not a robbery, or even a bad decision really. I had Penn winning, and I don't think I'd change my mind if I watched it once a year for the next decade. But those middle rounds were fucking close. You can't really cry robbery in a fight like this.

The commentary wasn't as biased towards Frankie as people make out (or as biased as I remembered it) either. Rogan in particular was constantly talking about Penn's jab in the early rounds. They mentioned Freddie Roach saying BJ was the best boxer in MMA. They were bigging up his power, his training with Marinovic (although he'd stopped that by this point) and his mauling of Sanchez. Rogan did keep mentioning Edgar's movement which got annoying, movement alone doesn't win rounds. But he wasn't acting like Frankie was bossing the fight like my pissed brain remembered. He even said after the fourth "these are difficult rounds to score". Yeah, the fifth he was on Frankie's cock but it wasn't one of Rogan's mega biased fights.

So not a terrible decision to me. Although I did have Penn taking it. The only real scandal about this fight was Doug Crosby's '50-45 Edgar' scorecard. What the fuck?!

Not a bad fight either. Not a FOTY or anything but I enjoyed it.

I think this third fight will be something between how the first and second fights looked. I don't think it will be as close as the first, but I think Penn will do better than the second fight. Penn really wasn't at the races for that one. There's no reason why that fight should've been that much of a domination considering how close the first was.

I might still give the rematch a watch later. If for no other reason than this alone;

0rLpF.gif

• Paid Members

Yeah it was really weird. I don't really remember him talking much about it. The odd thing was he seemed really up for that rematch going in. Then on the night, nothing.

I'm watching some of the fallout of the first fight/build-up to the rematch now, and Penn seems really fired up and motivated when talking about wanting to avenge the first loss.

On the decision in the first fight;

"You want a cookie for the victory that you got over me that night? Have all your boys put you on their shoulder and dance you around at the judges, and try to steal the victory and do stuff like that. Whatever, man. That's the man you are. OK, I got you. It's a joke."

On Frankie saying Gray Maynard deserved the next shot instead of Penn getting the rematch;

"When you become UFC champion you start getting all these fake dreams inside your head, that you're gonna be the greatest of all time and you're gonna do all this stuff. He started to think 'oh, now I should go beat Maynard, my only loss. Then I'll be the greatest ever.' And that's just a pipedream. He showed his true colours, right off the bat, when he did that. The colour was yellow."

On Frankie's style;

"They don't have much to work with. They've only got Frankie Edgar. They don't have a knockout king. They don't have the submission king. They've only got Frankie Edgar."

"He's gonna be running around, he's just gonna try to jazz up what he did last time. Eventually, Frankie has to come in. He can run around the ring all he wants. Sooner or later, he has to step up to me and he has to do something. And when that happens, that's gonna be the time. I wanna go out there, I wanna knock him out or submit him. I'm all about finishing my guy and I cannot wait, cannot wait to finish him."

He talked a good game. Then he just came out like he was sedated. It's how he acted immediately before the second fight that was most odd, like in that gif above. He'd been saying the right things all week but on the night he was just lifeless. Looked like he wished he hadn't bothered. And that's before the fight had even started. It's not like he got destroyed in the first fight so knew his chances weren't good. This was a rematch of a super close fight that he felt he should've won. But he couldn't have looked less arsed during the intros and then the fight itself. Very strange.

Watching the countdown segment for the rematch - Dana is a right knob about the first fight. Completely undersold Edgar's performance and seemed to put the loss down to Penn doing everything wrong and having a shit gameplan. The "Frankie made BJ fight his fight" bit is in here. He also said "BJ didn't shoot for one takedown". Which is fair enough but BJ had been outboxing lightweights with ease up to that point. It's not like he's Andy Wang. Just really annoys me when he does this. If the guy he wanted to win loses, he blames it all on their gameplan being crap like that's the only reason the other guy was able to do so well. He did the same when JDS knocked out Cain, completely blamed it on Cain not following the gameplan.

• Paid Members

fight was decent this week in a weird way, Corey Anderson looks decent but the guy is seriously lacking in some killer instinct, he had Patrick Walsh hurt on several occasions and basically let him recover. Guess it was to with there being so much at stake and the fact that Walsh was just winging hooks all night but it was entertaining little fight.

Dana's assessment of Walsh post-fight was spot on though, i wouldn't be surprised if we see him down the line based purely on the fact that he showed some balls out there. I thought his little dubbed in 'Corey needs to throw a headkick' line was a pre-cursor for a huge KO, but ahhh well.

...the head kick was there all night though

• Paid Members

well i had the last episode spoiled for me after clicking onto MMAJunkie this morning :( they've actually got a top up labelled as spoilers for the episode and in the top above it lists the guys who made the finale, nice work Junkie.

Well this is how it pans out:

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 9 p.m. ET)

Frankie Edgar vs. B.J. Penn

Corey Anderson vs. Matt Van Buren – light-heavyweight tournament final

Eddie Gordon vs. Dhiego Lima – middleweight tournament final

Guto Inocente vs. Derrick Lewis

Dustin Ortiz vs. Justin Scoggins

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 7 p.m. ET)

Kevin Lee vs. Jesse Ronson

Leandro Issa vs. Jumabieke Tuerxun

Adriano Martins vs. Juan Manuel Puig

Daniel Spohn vs. Patrick Walsh

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET)

Alexis Dufresne vs. Sarah Moras

Keith Berish vs. Robert Drysdale

Not too interested in the Light Heavyweight final, i hope Gordon wins it though, Van Buren comes across like a right berk. Dhiego Lima was probably the highlight of the season, finished his fights too, i'll be rooting for him.

Spohn/Walsh also made the finale.

Rest of the card is kinda standard, Robert Drysdale is finally debuting so i'll be checking that out. Keep an eye on Justin Scoggins though, exciting fighter.

Why the fuck do they have Robert Drysdale on fight pass? One of the most decorated grapplers in MMA makes his debut with the UFC after running up a 6-0 record, all via submission, all in the first frame and they can't even find space for him on the televised portion of the card?

Archived