TUF 19: Team Edgar vs Team Penn

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The Finale;

TUF-19-Finale-Poster.png

FOX SPORTS 1 MAIN CARD

Frankie Edgar vs BJ Penn

Corey Anderson vs Matt Van Buren - TUF Light Heavyweight Finals

Eddie Gordon vs Dhiego Lima - TUF Middleweight Finals

Guto Inocente vs Derrick Lewis

Justin Scoggins vs Dustin Ortiz

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Kevin Lee vs Jesse Ronson

Leandro Issa vs Jumabieke Tuerxun

Adriano Martins vs Juan Manuel Puig

Daniel Spohn vs Patrick Walsh

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Sarah Moras vs Alex Dufresne

Robert Drysdale vs Keith Berish

So this is nearly upon us. Starts next Wednesday after the Bisping vs Kennedy Fight Night. According to my listings it's on BT Sport directly following that Fight Night.

TUF-19.jpg

The teams will be made up of Light Heavyweights and Middleweights.

The coaches are, of course, Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn. They'll be facing off for the third time in a five round fight at the TUF Finale on July 6th. The night after UFC 175 which has Weidman vs Machida, Rousey vs Davis and Sonnen vs Belfort. Fuck me! What a weekend that will be.

Coaching staff has been announced.

TEAM EDGAR

Frankie Edgar - Head Coach

Mark Henry (not that one, sadly) - Boxing Coach

Ricardo Almeida - Wrestling Coach

Renzo Gracie - BJJ Coach

Anderson Franca - Muay Thai Coach

TEAM PENN

BJ Penn - Head Coach

Mark Coleman - Wrestling Coach

Andre Pederneiras - BJJ Coach

Jason Parillo - Boxing Coach

John Hackleman

Has there ever been a stronger and more star studded cast of coaches than this spanning both teams? Incredible. Basically, if you're a fighter on this season of TUF, you've fallen into a barrel of tits whichever team you end up on.

Here's the cast of fighters. Some won't make it to the house of course. Depends on the elimination fights. I'll update this post after teams are selected.

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHTS:

Corey Anderson

Kelly Anundson

Anton Berzin

Josh Clark

Chris Fields

Jake Heun

Tyler King

Todd Monaghan

Cody Mumma

John Poppie

Doug Sparks

Daniel Spohn

Josh Stansbury

Matt Van Buren

Daniel Vizcaya

Patrick Walsh

MIDDLEWEIGHTS:

Matthew Gabel

Lyman Good

Eddie Gordon

Mike King

Dhiego Lima

Adrian Miles

Tyler Minton

Cathal Pendred

Ian Stephens

Adam Stroup

Nordine Taleb

Hector Urbina

Bojan Velickovic

Tim Williams

Roger Zapata

The standouts at first glance, or at least the names I'm familiar with;

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

dunno whats up with Nordine Taleb, but he was on TUF Nations, lost in the opening round (granted, injured) and then got announced for this...but since that seasons finished its been announced that he's fighting on the season finale wednesday before this season debuts. Weird.

• Paid Members

Anyone seen episode one yet? Nothing special obviously, just being the elimination fights, but had its moments. I've updated the first post there now the teams have been selected.

Like with most TUFs now, the elimination fights just all mash together in my head and I can't remember much of it when it's over. I've just finished watching it and already it's all a blur. Few thoughts;

*The KO in the first fight was vicious. Can't even remember either guy's name but it was over in seconds and the big baldy beardy bloke took a nasty Flair Flop to the canvas, right in front of his mom. I kind of get why they added the 'family can come to watch the elimination fights' bit but I'm still not a big fan of it really. If I was one of these guys there's no way I'd bring my parents, girlfriend, daughter etc with me. I don't even think I'd want a phonecall off them until after the fight. Must be so distracting and it must be a scary enough experience as it is without that adding to the pressure/nerves. A few of the guys were in tears before their fights just from hearing their kid wishing them luck or whatever. I just don't think it helps. Maybe it does for some, but for others it seems to be counter productive to their pre-fight focus. I get why they show it from the Reality TV POV, but I'd leave the folks at home and the phone off until after the fight if I was going on TUF. BJ Penn summed it up when the guy Flair Flopped in front of his mom, something like - "this is a rough sport, and maybe it's not a good idea to have your mom there."

*The black guy who shoehorns 'God, the Bible, Christ, Our Lord and Saviour' etc etc into literally every fucking sentence is really going to do my head in, I can tell already. Todd Monaghan is the guy, if I'm remembering right. He had a great comeback win in his fight but I'm really dreading that fucker preaching in the house.

*The Mike King vs Nordine Taleb fight was tremendous. Surely that's the end of the UFC/Taleb relationship though. He was on TUF Nations, the TUF Nations Finale, the TUF 19 elimination fights. He lost them all. But with the fight being so good, I can see Taleb coming back to fill in if someone gets hurt. Dana even asked BJ and Frankie mid-fight if they'd be alright with whoever lost to be first choice as the alternate/wildcard or whatever. That kneebar was gruesome. Really thought that was it.

*So there was no mystery fighter then. I saw a few things online going in that there was only 15 middleweights and there was a surprise fighter who'd be revealed. Turned out it was just a case of all Cathal Pendred's opponents dropping out so he gets a bye. I like Pendred. Saw a few fights of his in Cage Warriors, he's a McGregor team mate, and he seems a good guy as well. I hope he goes far. He's off to a great start coming in fresh with the bye.

Pendred with the West Linn OG, Chael P;

Cathal-Pendred-Chael-Sonnen.jpg

*Surprised Lyman Good didn't make it into the house. Dana had to get his digs in at Bellator as well, didn't he. "Bellator champs don't belong here." Let's see if they sign Eddie Alvarez later this year.

*That Serbian bloke's girlfriend, the Tennis player or whatever she was, was fit as fuck. No wonder the poor cunt got beat. The way him and his missus were tongue wrestling at the hotel, then the door closed...I was half expecting a little hand to pop round with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign. The twat left it all in the bedroom. He was probably spent by the time he hit the cage.

*Penn and Edgar were more pally than I expected. I knew there was no real animosity there but Penn is a different guy now. Pretty cool when Frankie said he tried out for TUF 5 which Penn coached. I forgot about that. Clay Guida tried out for that as well actually.

The 'On This Season Of The Ultimate Fighter...' bit at the end looked good. Looked like Dana has another huge tantrum at the judges/commission again as well at some point.

I still really wish they'd fuck the elimination fights off. Still do them if you must, but just stick them online or something. Starting the season off with 2 hours of it is jarring to watch. Why can't episode one just start with the fighters entering the house like the first 6 TUFs? And just show us clips of their elimination fights as and when, like they did on the TUF Comeback season years ago. When the week for Matt Serra's fight came, they showed clips of his UFC fights then. When it was Shonie Carter's fight, the same. We don't need to see 2 hours of it in the first episode. I think from now on I'll just watch TUFs from episode 2 onwards. Unless there's someone I'm particularly interested in on the cast, like the womens tournament next season or Pendred here.

I still really wish they'd fuck the elimination fights off. Still do them if you must, but just stick them online or something. Starting the season off with 2 hours of it is jarring to watch. Why can't episode one just start with the fighters entering the house like the first 6 TUFs? And just show us clips of their elimination fights as and when, like they did on the TUF Comeback season years ago. When the week for Matt Serra's fight came, they showed clips of his UFC fights then. When it was Shonie Carter's fight, the same. We don't need to see 2 hours of it in the first episode. I think from now on I'll just watch TUFs from episode 2 onwards. Unless there's someone I'm particularly interested in on the cast, like the womens tournament next season or Pendred here.

To be fair they hardly showed any matches in their entirety, did they? I thought it was pretty excellent, and means we head into the first real episode knowing who the guys are to a degree.

*Surprised Lyman Good didn't make it into the house. Dana had to get his digs in at Bellator as well, didn't he. "Bellator champs don't belong here." Let's see if they sign Eddie Alvarez later this year.

To be fair, it was the guy who beat Good who said that originally, not Dana.

*That Serbian bloke's girlfriend, the Tennis player or whatever she was, was fit as fuck. No wonder the poor cunt got beat. The way him and his missus were tongue wrestling at the hotel, then the door closed...I was half expecting a little hand to pop round with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign. The twat left it all in the bedroom. He was probably spent by the time he hit the cage.

Yes. 100% she was amazing.

Considering BJ's the coach, I'm definitely watching this TUF. I've ragged on the show for being stale, but I haven't really watched since the Smashes, so hopefully it won't be so bad. The star power in the coaching means that'll even be interesting to watch. And I'm absolutely invested in the end product, where Penn goes to FW. I met him at the UFC Gym last month and he's such a different guy, so chilled out, but motivated as hell. At the Q&A he mentioned looking at this 3rd Edgar fight as like a championship fight, something that he wanted so badly to achieve. Plus he was super nice to me, had a brief casual chat and he seemed genuinely happy to meet me, so I'm supporting him all the way through this season and the coaches fight.

Check it:

1924488_10152046763262677_193525688_n.jpg

• Paid Members

To be fair, it was the guy who beat Good who said that originally, not Dana.

That's true but Dana then made a point of repeating it to Penn and Edgar as if it was the funniest joke he'd ever heard, just to make sure everyone heard it clearly. "Hahaha, did you hear that? He said 'Bellator champs don't belong here'. HAHAHA"

Reminded me of a less funny version of Paulie in the Sopranos.

Paulie: Hey, I remember every blowjob I ever got. How about you? You remember your first blowjob?

Sil: Yeah, course.

Paulie: How long did it take for the guy to cum?

(turns to Tony)

Paulie: Ya hear that? I said 'do you remember your first blowjob?', he said 'yeah'. I said 'how long did it take for the guy to cum?' Heh heh heh heh.

Shane O -Jealous of you meeting BJ

He even did his trademark hand signal for you!

Don't most Hawaiians use that hand signal?

Probably, but I always think of Penn when someone does it.

Then again if someone mentions Hawaii, I think of Penn also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone see this week's episode?

Dana was so fucking annoying. I've seen him moan about fights before but this was next level for me. The fight (Daniel Spohn vs Todd Monaghan) wasn't very good, but Jesus fucking Christ. Dana went on like they'd murdered babies in the cage or something. Criticising everything they did. He was blasting Spohn for wrestling Monaghan just because he hurt Monaghan with one punch at the beginning of the fight. Maybe the gameplan was to wrestle, maybe there was a reason he didn't want to strike much (an injury or whatever). Just because he landed one decent shot early doors doesn't mean he should just strike the whole fight. Then Dana was criticising Monaghan for not listening to Edgar and Renzo's advice. 'He didn't do one fucking thing they said.' He might be right. Or it could just be that, you know, he couldn't do anything because Spohn was controlling him. The worst though, was when Dana went mental because Spohn kept going for the rear naked choke at the end of the fight. Something like - 'He got full back mount, flattened him out, that's usually where you start throwing punches to finish the guy. But no, he just went for the choke again. With 10 seconds left.' Or something. He nearly had the choke though. If he'd let go of that and threw punches and Monaghan survived, Dana would be going 'What the fuck? He had the choke. Why did he let go, what a fucking idiot.' Just really grated on me the whole fight. It wasn't exciting. It wasn't what you'd call a good fight. But fuck me, it wasn't as bad as Dana was making out. He fucking hates grappling, doesn't he?

Anyway, onto the positives. God Todd lost :) I can't stand God Todd. I mentioned before how irritating I find him. I've got no problem with people being religious but when they're crowbaring it into every sentence like this twat it gets old really fast. From episode one I could tell he was going to be particularly unbearable with it. And sure enough, he subjected everyone to a morning sermon in this episode. All dressed up with his expensive jewellery and shit. Being all superior and spouting off to a bunch of half asleep fighters. They were being polite but I'd hate being preached to like that.

I loved the bit in the Team Penn van when Cathal Pendred was saying God Todd was basically just doing it to get TV time and it was all a big money making scheme. It's exactly the feeling I had.

Speaking of Pendred, I'm really hoping he wins the whole thing now. The last couple of weeks have cemented that I'm going to be a fan of his. Just seems like a laid back good guy to me. He looked good in his fight with Hector Urbina last week. He came across well on Beyond The Octagon this week. He's Conor McGregor's team mate. He's got a certain charisma as well, it's not anywhere near as in your face as McGregor's but it's there. He was the first to call bullshit on God Todd. And if that wasn't enough;

CathalPendredbabyDolphin1_large.jpg

He's rescuing baby dolphins in his spare time!

And holding Fedor's belt;

Cathal Pendred @PendredMMA

I also got my hands on Fedor's Pride belt when I was in the UFC office. #ThinkItsUpsideDown

BmkVqwDIMAEzsX4.jpg

His missus isn't bad either;

2013-04-cathal-pendred--girlfriend-michele-mcgrath.jpg

Michelle McGrath, she's in some Irish band apparently. Cathal Pendred is winning at life at the minute.

Even if he doesn't win TUF, you know he's sticking around a while. If he doesn't reach the finals of TUF, expect him to pop up on the Dublin card in July. And he's Irish but born in Boston, so if they go back there he's a no-brainer to be added. I'm hoping he wins TUF though. He's the most likeable fucker in there for me this season, and that helps my enjoyment of TUF a lot. You need someone to root for, I think. He's on Team Penn as well which helps.

Meant to mention as well, next week Dhiego Lima fights Tim Williams. Team Penn are 2-0 so far but I've got a feeling Lima might fuck that little streak up next week.

Matt Van Buren looks like he's ruffling some feathers next week as well.

• Paid Members

just caught up on episode 3...Dana ripped on the fight which was understandable from an entertainment standpoint, but can you really blame Spohn for fighting as he did in a competition in which your hopes pretty much rest on being fit and healthy. Spohn moves on without a scratch on him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Dana was a right overreacting twat on that fight. It wasn't very good but his outrage was a bit much.

Cathal Pendred expands on his criticism of Todd Monaghan doing the God bit on TUF;

"At the end of the day, I stand by what I said. The guy was preaching, and I was curious about what he had to say, so I voluntarily went along to his little sermon. I just didn't happen to agree with his message. I think it was a quite insulting and offensive thing that he said, that God will give "good people" money. I know a lot of people that are very poor that struggle to put food on the table, but they're good people, religious people, and they live a life of God's message.

You look at people in Africa who are very religious, and live a life through God, as he would say, and they don't even have clean water to drink. I just thought it was quite an insulting thing to say, and that's why I said what I did. I can't go into much more detail than that because it could be considered a spoiler for the show."

I think he's dead on with the criticism. Monaghan came off a bit like one of those American TV evangelists you get who try to tell you you'll get cancer if you don't send him three months wages or something. Just something really off about the way he carried on, I thought. Sounds like there's more to come with Pendred vs God Todd as well judging by the last sentence there.

Haven't caught last night's episode yet but I saw something on twitter that the Lima vs Williams fight is supposed to be one worth tuning in for.

What I found starnge about Dana's reaction to the Epsiode 3 fight is I remember that the first prelim fight for the Lesnar/Dos Santos season (Shamar Bailey vs Nordin Asrih) was way worse than this one.

Shamar Bailey won by just taking his opponent down at the start of both rounds and pretty much just laying on top of him in full guard, and in the post-fight commentary Dana just shrugged and said something like "not the most exciting fight in the world but there you go"

At least Daniel Spohn did work to better his position and get the mount even if he didn't really do any damage.

• Paid Members

Exactly. And like Ebb said, you've kind of got to give guys a pass on TUF with the tournament setting. It's easy for Dana to bash guys for playing it safe but these guys have theoretically got to fight, what, three or four times in a short period of time. I think TUF films over six weeks or something like that doesn't it? So to win TUF you have to fight three or four times in six weeks! That's madness when you think about it. Of course fighters will try to just get through in the least risky way possible. It makes no sense to just come out going berserk in your first fight in the tournament.

I remember this came up in the Nelson vs Carwin series. Nelson can be a cock but he was right in his point that guys should fight smart on TUF to ensure they reach the semis and finals as healthy as possible. Even if it's not the most exciting. Now I know why Dana is moaning, because that goes against his role as a promoter. He wants excitement, the coaches and contestants want to advance in the tournament by any means necessary. That's the conflict.

So yeah, I kind of see Dana's side. But he's got to expect this in a tournament. If someone was fighting with a mega-risk averse style in a PPV or FOX headliner or something, fine, have a good whinge. But in the early rounds of the TUF tournament surely it's all about strategy and self preservation.

Dana is very quick to complain during grappling heavy fights anyway. I remember one of the past seasons (I'm thinking the Jones vs Sonnen TUF, but could be wrong) there was an elimination fight where one guy shot for an early takedown and Dana immediately went into a 'oh great, more boring humping against the fence' or some shit. Bare in mind the grappling exchange had only been going 15-20 seconds. Then within another 30 seconds or so the fight ended by submission. He's just got no patience with grappling it seems. If two guys are throwing bombs he'll be practically creaming himself at the table. If a guy tries to get the fight to the ground and doesn't pull off a crazy submission within 5 seconds he's rolling his eyes and calling it boring.

Archived