RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Warrior was my absolute hero as a kid, even during the Attitude era when I was a teenager and loved Austin and the Rock, they didn't come close to Warrior.

Yeah me too - him & Savage.

That's why it always confuses me when people criticise him for blowing up, or his workrate, his rambling promos, etc. And no matter how hard people tried to bury him over the years, it just never worked on me - because I lived through the Warrior era and knew the appeal. Anyone who criticises him as a wrestler is missing the big picture. What's the business about? Making money. As a 10 year old kid, I didn't give a shit about workrate - I didn't even know what that was or meant; I just loved the Ultimate Warrior. I loved the character, I loved his intensity, I loved his look, I loved the tassles, I loved his promos, I loved watching his matches, and I bought his merchandise; as did millions of others. I don't care what they say about him, because I know first hand that what he did worked. And that's all that matters.

Wasn't he billed as the Dingo Warrior on those cards? I remember him actually bringing back the "Dingo" name when WWF stuck a cease and desist on him before his 1996 return.

If i remember rightly he was billed as The Warrior, with Herc billed as Hercules Hernandez. Jake Roberts was on the show also, amongst other names.

Warrior was my absolute hero as a kid, even during the Attitude era when I was a teenager and loved Austin and the Rock, they didn't come close to Warrior.

Yeah me too - him & Savage.

That's why it always confuses me when people criticise him for blowing up, or his workrate, his rambling promos, etc. And no matter how hard people tried to bury him over the years, it just never worked on me - because I lived through the Warrior era and knew the appeal. Anyone who criticises him as a wrestler is missing the big picture. What's the business about? Making money. As a 10 year old kid, I didn't give a shit about workrate - I didn't even know what that was or meant; I just loved the Ultimate Warrior. I loved the character, I loved his intensity, I loved his look, I loved the tassles, I loved his promos, I loved watching his matches, and I bought his merchandise; as did millions of others. I don't care what they say about him, because I know first hand that what he did worked. And that's all that matters.

A-fuckin-men to this...

When did the whole "work rate" argument start? When did the quality of the moves start to be appreciated more than the story?

When I first started to watch wrestling back in about 2000, this friend of a friend lent me some VHS of Bret saying "this is the best wrestler ever" and then when Hogan returned to WWE, he assured me that Hogan would be awful. To my surprise, Hogan was incredible, he got you totally into whatever he was doing, he looked the bomb and everything about him screamed money. That was my first real taste of the smarkery that took over the internet for years.

When did the whole "work rate" argument start?

When everyone got broadband. It was around before that in smaller doses, but for the last decade or so with the Internet's ubiquity, a young fan can (and often does) go from Googling "John Cena is awesome" to posting "fuck this company, they should push the real workers" on forums probably within a few months.

• Paid Members
If you can catch the Warrior Doc on the Network, do it. real emotional stuff of course, but its really well put together.

For anyone that hasn't got the network

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2-LfEATtBg

haven't watched it yet but if stays on youtube then I'll watch it tonight for sure.

Thankyou for posting the link. It's a fantastic documentary/tribute. Even my dad and sister watched it with me.

Here's a nice tribute from DDP and Jake.