RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

That's really good John!

To the above, 1996 Warrior has always interested me. The character was darker than it had been; calling people fags and talking about how he was going to "kick your ass". He was a lot less animated and a lot more spoken. He and Vince obviously realised times had changed. Had he come back in late 1997, I have no doubt he would have kept evolving.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool artwork!

not only did Ultimate Warrior have the best wrestling look ever, he also had the best wrestling name!!

The Warrior also had probably the most impressive record too.

Maybe a more historic guy would fill in the blanks but apart from the odd Andre loss in Italy 88, Rick Rude loss at Wrestlemania 5 & Slaughter at Royal Rumble 1991 did he lose any other bouts?

I recall a old Superheroes in Action video tape showed Warrior losing to Randy Savage I think at Boston due to interference by Rick Rude but outside Royal Rumble matches im finding it hard pressed to find anything from his first WWE run where he lost.

• Paid Members
Not up to my usual standards, time was against me, but this is my tribute to the big man in the only way i know how...

I tried to do a portrait made up of lots of little Warrior masks, but it looked awful, so I moodied up one of his promo pics and then colour popped it.

10255764_10203494978685687_3111364289334161238_n.jpg

I remember being completely gutted about that weird muscle suit he wore at Summerslam '92.

I wasn't allowed many wrestling tapes as a kid, because we were too poor for one but most of all because my mum fucking absolutely hated it and we only had the one VHS machine, so I didn't get to see it much or the Warrior who I fucking adored. After ages and ages of borrowing tapes off my richer cousin who had Sky just to see Warrior and being told "fuck off no" by my dad when I wanted Royal Rumble 1990 from Woolworths because i'd already borrowed it and conned a babysitting family member into sitting through the whole fucking thing, I eventually got enough money to get my hands on Summrslam '92, which i'd bought solely because Warrior was in it (and a highly recommended Kamala match from a cousin who informed me that when he sees the Undertaker he "fucking shits himself and runs off"). I can't explain what it was that let me down. Either i'd gotten so used to your trad Ultimate Warrior look and built up some stylised version of him in my mind that anything other than a human version of the Hasbro figure running down to ringside was going to disappoint me, like Bill Drummond finally seeing the Residents live and realising it was just four blokes in shit suits, or he just looked like a legitimate bellend.

Edited by Cannibal Man

Cool artwork!

not only did Ultimate Warrior have the best wrestling look ever, he also had the best wrestling name!!

The Warrior also had probably the most impressive record too.

Maybe a more historic guy would fill in the blanks but apart from the odd Andre loss in Italy 88, Rick Rude loss at Wrestlemania 5 & Slaughter at Royal Rumble 1991 did he lose any other bouts?

I recall a old Superheroes in Action video tape showed Warrior losing to Randy Savage I think at Boston due to interference by Rick Rude but outside Royal Rumble matches im finding it hard pressed to find anything from his first WWE run where he lost.

His only ever documented CLEAN loss in WWF was the Andre one in April 88 (there's even a Youtube vid from an Italian TV broadcast to prove it). Some say it wasn't planned and was due to Andre getting annoyed with him for some reason.

The pinfall loss to Rick Rude on 28th December 1987 at the Richfield Coliseum may not have been clean - and unless someone who was there comes forward to confirm either way we may never know.

No other WWE superstar past or present even comes close to matching this record.

Warrior was one of a kind for sure. And he'll always be kind of special to me due to him being such a big name in 1991 when i got into wrestling, and featuring so heavily on all the tapes i collected as a kid. He was also a world apart from other stars in terms of his aura, the only 2 i ever though came close to being as 'big league' as him when i was a kid were Hogan and Savage. I was lucky enough to see Warrior facing Hercules in the main event of my first ever live show in Berlin, Germany in 93 or 94. He came out to Black Betty by Ram Jam.

This happened when I was on holiday, and I don't think my phone has ever blown up quite like it. Warrior was my absolute hero as a kid, even during the Attitude era when I was a teenager and loved Austin and the Rock, they didn't come close to Warrior.

I done all the usual: Halloween costume, wrestling cake with him on it, all 3 Hasbros, who went over everyone, the giant talking Hasbro (with the bizarre high pitched voice) bath salts bottle that I don't think I even used, hell I didn't watch WCW but Sting was my favourite purely because he looked a bit like him. True story WM6 actually convinced me the stories I'd heard about wrestling being fake were rubbish, because there was no way WWF would let someone so awesome win over poster boy Hogan. In hindsight I think I actually prefer the Savage retirement match, but Savage was probably my second favourite so it was a huge deal for me.

Regarding him possibly signing him during the Attitude era, I actually made him as a CAW in every wrestling game I've ever had, and funnily enough you always had to cut corners and make him more 'current' because they just didn't have all the right options to make someone as incredible looking. I thought his Summerslam 92 look, with the blues and blacks, was pretty restrained, that would have been the way to go.