RIP Ultimate Warrior

King Pitcos

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet again foley makes a reactionary statement and regrets it later -why doesn't he just engage his brain first?

Probably because he spent most of his career trying to kill as many brain cells as possible.

• Paid Members

Been watching the Warrior's tribute to Randy Savage. The stuff he talks about in regards to fans telling him their feelings about Savage and the feelings they had for the time period is exactly what a lot of us feel about the Warrior's passing. He explains Randy's death so well.

Last month I moved into a new flat. This was the first thing I did:

2qsxnck.jpg

2f03abr.jpg

125m9md.jpg

15yzqeo.jpg

nx0xes.jpg

I remember my mum fancying him; I remember being absolutely gutted - ear to my bedroom floorboards - hearing Sergeant Slaughter's music play twice during the Sky Movies showing of RR '91 and working out Warrior was no longer champ; I remember doing a bad Alan Partridge 'Give that man a medal' impression when he returned at WM XII; the "went down like a lead balloon" criticism of that return in Power Slam's review; ringing the Power Slam hotline from a phone box before school to see if he won the IC belt from Goldust; my ex making me a Warrior cake for my 21st; showing my mum that that first Jakks Classic Superstars figure a few months before she died; posting my collection on Facebook during Wrestlemania weekend to no response whatsoever because my mates have sat through this fandom for years and years and years...

When you don't play with your favourite wrestler's Hasbro figures, because you know you will never let him lose, and it's unfair on the other figures and your attempted progressive figure booking strategy, then you know you are a fan for life.

As ridiculous as this sounds for a man approaching 30, I cannot watch past the bit in his HOF speech when he addresses his daughters. It is heartbreaking.

But, as tragic as the whole thing is, and knowing him as we did, it's somewhat fitting that Warrior returned amid much fanfare, did his thing, got the big pop, and then disappeared leaving more questions than answers. It's what he did.

He was my absolute favorite wrestler as a kid. My first PPV ever was Wrestlemania 6 that I purchased, and it was a small converter you had to screw into the back of your TV to make it work. At the time, I was very young, and just figuring out that TV wrestling was scripted and predetermined, and was just shocked and overjoyed that they let Warrior "win" over Hogan at the time. His entrance music I've probably played 1,000 times in my life. Didn't understand a single promo of his as a kid, and I still don't understand any of them now. RIP.

• Paid Members
The Ultimate Warrior died from a massive heart attack, according to the medical examiner who conducted his autopsy last week.

Officials told TMZ that the cause of death was determined to be "Atherosclerotic/Arteriosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease" or heart disease.

The medical examiner classified Warrior's death as natural, meaning neither drugs nor alcohol were directly involved.

--TMZ

Unrelated but my band (a hobby really, more part time jam band) played Warrior's theme song today, its just brilliant and really fun to play for any guitarists/bassists out there, huge credit to Jim Johnston.

Edited by Psygnosis

• Paid Members
When you don't play with your favourite wrestler's Hasbro figures, because you know you will never let him lose, and it's unfair on the other figures and your attempted progressive figure booking strategy, then you know you are a fan for life.

The whole post is a brilliant and touching tribute, but this part in particular is amazing! Thanks for posting.

I was going to post a photo of me looking chuffed to bits with my new Warrior Hasbro from Christmas 1991, but can't find it at all.

• Paid Members

He was everywhere when I was a kid. When I became a fan Warrior Wildness had just been hooked up to the WWF machine. So many fond memories of seeing the Ultimate Warrior's face everywhere you looked. You'd go in McDonalds and they were giving away the mini-figure stamps that you see above free with the Happy Meals. You go to Woolworths you'd see a tube of jelly beans with the Warrior figure on top of it. You'd go to Argos and there would be a display in the window with the Warrior's Bed Buddies. There's nothing better than a wrestling boom. 1992 was an amazing time to be a kid who liked wrestling. And this was in a shit hole like Sunderland. Fuck knows what it was like in parts of the country that weren't still using a coal fire in the early 90s.

I have a cousin who is slightly older than me, so she used to give me the clippings when the wrestling stuff would show up in music magazines and general pop culture mags of the time. I remember this picture of the Ultimate Warrior which I haven't seen since I was 7. Never pops up, so it must be a exclusive pic for the magazine. It was to promote the Slam Jam record (which Warrior promoted but never appeared on). He's got his red singlet on, his blonde hair all sprayed out and he's holding a guitar. I remember my head almost exploding looking at it. He looked so fucking cool.

Just look at him. The best look in wrestling history. I'd argue that point for days. Nobody had a better look ever.

1545646_10202857507348236_1210351016_n.jpg

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay