Devon Malcolm's Film Nazi Film Club

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Slightly different from previous incarnations of the film club. Instead of doing a weekly round-up, I'm going to do a daily one. Once again it will be for films that are available on Freeview and free-to-air channels and I'll do it for the following day's films. Then you can come in here and tell me how marvellous my selection(s) was/were.

If you don't fancy any of my TV selections, I'll also be throwing in my YouTube recommendation of the day as well. If you don't fancy that either then you can bugger off.

I don't know whether I'm allowed to put pictures in here to make it look all snazzy and shit or if Butch (just misspelled that as Bitch) will throttle me so you'll have to make do with text only for now until I get image clearance.

TOMORROW'S FILMS (7th April):-

* D-MAL'S DIAMOND - The Rock (1996) on 5* at 9pm (170 mins): Michael Bay's greatest ever film and arguably the last great proper Hollywood action film. If you haven't seen it yet then I don't really know why that would be. Did you shit your pants and just take a really long time clearing up? Sort it out.

* Kinsey (2004) on Movie Mix at 9pm (145 mins): If you've seen The Rock enough times this year then this excellent biopic about Alfred Kinsey, the inventor of the Kinsey Scale, is well worth seeing. Before he went overboard with the action films, Liam Neeson produces possibly his best ever performance. Really good stuff.

* The Faculty (1998) on ITV2 at 10:50pm (130 mins): Robert Rodriguez's cracking little B-pic homage has loads of great bits in it but its cast is fantastic if you like your character actors. Piper Laurie, Christopher McDonald, Robert Patrick, Famke Janssen and Bebe Neuwirth? Lovely. You even get a nice little Jon Stewart performance.

YOUTUBE YOMP OF THE DAY:-

* Wake In Fright (1971) (109): As seen in my sig, this amazing Ozploitation drama and thriller is infamous for a certain scene involving a kangaroo but is a film so brilliant that its recent rediscovery and reappraisal is well deserved. I'd recommend it to just about everyone, plus it contains arguably Donald Pleasence's best performance.

• Paid Members
I've been on a massive exploitation kick lately. I'm so drawn to Wake in Fright, but the sound of the kangaroo scene puts me right off. Anytime there's a dog in a film I'm straight off to here .

Never watch The Pack.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Because it's shit AND dogs die.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I've been on a massive exploitation kick lately. I'm so drawn to Wake in Fright, but the sound of the kangaroo scene puts me right off. Anytime there's a dog in a film I'm straight off to here .

It's a great film. I think you would absolutely love it. The scene in question is horrible, no doubt, but I just looked away until it was over. The rest of the film is absolutely worth it.

• Paid Members

^ Yeah, don't watch it, Butch. It's a great film but it's not worth it, believe me.

Ultimo - Not seen Snowtown. You've not seen The Rock?!

The Shout is really good! One of the oddest films I've seen for years. Alan Bates is superb in it.

• Paid Members

No Retreat No Surrender is one of my all time favourites. Came out in a classic summer of releases by Entertainment In Video that included The Reanimator and the Eliminators. They all loo quite dated now, but in that summer of '86 they were amazing.

Ultimo - Not seen Snowtown. You've not seen The Rock?!

Just one of those films that passed me by as a teen, maybe i was put off by the running time or something and the older film nerd just thinks 3 hours of Michael Bay, do i need that in my life?

I clearly lied in my last post i went and watched Wake In Fright instead. Liked it quite a bit, it's rare to feel you can smell every member of the cast. It's a grimy smell of a film but the Kangaroo scenes really leave a bad taste. As a big hearted animal loving lummox (i stopped listening to Austin's podcast after getting sick of hearing a 40+ year old bloke getting excited over killing animals) it tarnishes a film which is basically uncomfortable dread for 110min. It's fucking horrific.

It probably doesn't top my "Nastiest Scene featuring Animal Cruelty/Death" List. Chief animal harmer Kim Ki-duk probably has a few above it. Address Unknown especially is hard to sit through, if you know the traditional way of killing a Dog for dog meat you'll know how bad. supposedly no dog was hurt during filming i'm not sure how.

The Rock is a terrific film. "Losers whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen". If we got to see Connery's Bond get old and jaded, that's exactly the sort of attitude he'd have.

I'm never going to watch Tyrannosaur for Woy's reasons.

Same. One of my best mates (a vegetarian, funnily enough) has Tyrannosaur as one of the designated films for his A Level Film Studies class. I've had this conversation with him many times as he keeps recommending the film to me, but he says he's never had a student who's refused to watch it. If it was just a throwaway scene I'd probably be able to skip through it, but cuntishness towards dogs seems like a pretty integral part of the film, so even if I was in his class I'd not watch it.

Archived