Let's talk Undertaker

LEGIT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maven eliminating him from the Rumble is clearly Undertaker's greatest moment.

Looking back I think his miserable bully phase was just great, I think it was during that phase where he made Jeff Hardly look like a massive deal in a very good ladder match as well.

And my favorite Undertaker theme is Your Gonna Pay -

He's looked absolutely awful pretty much since he went back to the Deadman gimmick a decade ago.

He looks bald and fragile now but I don't think he's looked terrible for the whole of this Deadman run. When he first returned in this guise from being the biker though, and his hair hadn't quite grown out and he had the terrible Beatles haircut, he looked at his worst by far.

When his hair grew out from that, he spent seven or eight years looking like a really rough fortune teller going to pilates.

And he's just looked sad since he cut the hair off. I love this match, but aesthetically, what the fuck is he playing at: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...aker_vs_HHH.jpg

He just knocks about in terrible Halloween costumes now, and he doesn't even look comfortable with himself.

PS01013.jpg

Yet surely he's the one who decides to wear these things rather than just accepting he's getting on a bit to pull off the S&M look, and wearing the coat and hat and leaving the eyeliner in the house.

Undertaker since 2004:

sean-bean-drag-accused-4.jpg

• Paid Members

WrestleMania XX might be one of the worst WrestleMania's ever in hindsight. The main event is hardly enjoyable anymore since what made it good has been taken away by the bloke who won it. Brock vs Goldberg died a death. Angle and Guerrero didn't tear it up half to the level everyone wanted them to. Mick Foley (who I still liked at the time) bombed massively in his comeback. Even Ultimo Dragon fell on his arse. And the Undertaker showed up looking like Revenge-era Gene Simmons (only without the wig). Seriously cant described how underwhelming Undertaker's return was unless you were a fan at the time. He showed up in pretty much the same outfit he wore the last time we saw him only with his hair a bit longer and a hat. Same vest, same MMA gloves, same leather pants. I was promised washing up gloves, hair extensions and his old cut off Ministry jacket. We got Paul Bearer, but fucking hell.

• Moderators
And the Undertaker showed up looking like Revenge-era Gene Simmons (only without the wig). Seriously cant described how underwhelming Undertaker's return was unless you were a fan at the time. He showed up in pretty much the same outfit he wore the last time we saw him only with his hair a bit longer and a hat.

I'd totally forgotten until this post, but when that happened, everyone on the internet made the exact same Malibu Stacy joke for weeks.

"But he's got a new hat!"

When was that phenomenal match with Angle? And the first Lesnar match? That was during this gimmick, right? I loved that stuff.

Yep. Awesome match on SD with Angle: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsnro3_ww...ndertaker_sport

And all of his matches with Lesnar were as the ABA/Big Evil in 02/03.

They really spoilt us back then with free matches on TV, you still get the occasional great match now, but they seemed to be more then.

When was that phenomenal match with Angle? And the first Lesnar match? That was during this gimmick, right? I loved that stuff.

Yep. Awesome match on SD with Angle: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsnro3_ww...ndertaker_sport

And all of his matches with Lesnar were as the ABA/Big Evil in 02/03.

They really spoilt us back then with free matches on TV, you still get the occasional great match now, but they seemed to be more then.

Angle/Taker from No Way Out 2006 is also excellent. Should of happened at Mania 22 though.

My favourite all time Undertaker moment is one my mate Ian only just alerted me to and was during the arse end of his Ministry days on commentary when for some reason he threatened to stab Jerry Lawler in the face. No fucking about like, just straight up told him he was going to shank his fat kite in.

For Taker at Mania 19 I'd have him go singles against Big Show which is where they started going anyway or

vs John Cena as the rookie chancing his luck against the veteran, basically what they did two months later anyway

For 15 instead of Bossman I'd have gone with Ken Shamrock, could've been a better match and could've built more of a story bout the cell being at home for shamrock too (Octagon/Lions Den)

The thing that sticks out in my mind about WrestleMania XX is the whole botched druid entrance where they got in the drippy-drippy-pours-off-the-sticks fire instead of the standard stuff and the Gregorian chanting playing over the PA was considerably drowned out by the sound of fire extinguishers. For all the world it could have been Gilberg coming out.

My favorite incarnation is the post Buried Alive not-dead-just-a-goth 'Taker. Apart from the first night he returned at Survivor Series dressed as me when I wanted to be Batman for Halloween 17 years ago and made the costume out of bin bags. Always thought he looked cool with the reddish hair in '97 when he slowly started having the human elements to his back story added via the whole Bearer/Kane saga. For me it's the stock Undertaker, really. His most recognizable look, the standard issue theme tune and he could still go and just be an angry bloke when it came to promo cutting instead of having to stand awkwardly in the ring and do the whole boring cryptic metaphor thing he's doing now.

I love the Ministry 'Taker as well but he is mixed up in that awful 1999 Russo school of Raw writing which hampers the memory of it somewhat. I still love most of it though. I loved the promo from Sunday Night Heat on my old St. Valentine's Day Massacre tape where they're all standing around an oil drum that's on fire somewhere in the car park talking about how they're going to take over the world. A lot of that stuff was cool sinister but a lot of it to an 8 year old me got scary, as well. The Mideon sacrifice that was cut from the Sky Sports broadcast is far too macabre and just shit to be on TV, obviously. And Bossman hanging from the cell takes the complete piss. Especially after Michael Cole warned us earlier in the match you could "get a finger caught in there".

The build up package to that match scared the shit out of me. I remember taking my 'Taker poster down from the wall in my room and nervously stuffing it behind a book shelf straight after seeing it. It just seemed far, far too weird. Being outside the McMahon's house, setting the teddy on fire, that sort of thing.

Archived