Let's talk Undertaker

LEGIT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Never heard of the Undertaker/WCW stuff Baz mentioned above.

From further reading about, Summerslam 1996 was supposed to be his last match. That's why all sort of shit happened in that match. Bearer turning on him. Undertaker being beat etc. He was off after that show. Bischoff couldn't use the gimmick though and felt he wasn't marketable without it. Paul Bearer wasn't offered anything by WCW, thus him turning heel rather quickly.

Footage of "Mean" Gene hyping the announcement was made on Nitro (phone the Hotline to find out!), then the story quietly disappeared.

With all the talk about the Undertaker's loyalty to WWE and Vince McMahon, there are some interesting details about some possible dealings between Taker and Eric Bischoff in 1996.

Around the time when Kevin Nash and Scott Hall jumped to WCW, Mark Calloway aka The Undertaker sent feelers to WCW to see about possible interest.

Bischoff reportedly declined to deal with Taker, feeling that much of his draw was his gimmick

Credit: Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter

What are the phases of the gimmick then:

Original Taker

Ministry of Darkness Taker

Zombie Biker Taker

Zombie Cowboy Taker

Bald Taker

Is that it?

• Moderators
He's looked absolutely awful pretty much since he went back to the Deadman gimmick a decade ago.

He looks bald and fragile now but I don't think he's looked terrible for the whole of this Deadman run. When he first returned in this guise from being the biker though, and his hair hadn't quite grown out and he had the terrible Beatles haircut, he looked at his worst by far.

Invincible Zombie

Invivincible Zombie with purple gloves

Phenom with a tortured past (with the Tear makeup thing on his face)

Ministry Taker

Learning Tree Taker (following the reveal of the greater power when he toned down the mysticism, up until he went off injured)

American Badass Taker

Booger Red Taker (what did that mean anyway?)

Invincible MMA Zombie

Bald.

• Paid Members

I quite like his current look. He looks like something from your nightmares, which is perfect for The Undertaker. Ill, yes, but also ghoulish. He needs to re-think the rubbish fake tan, though.

In truth, I've never really liked The Undertaker. As others have said, he's perfect for one match a year (as the matches are belters), but anything more and you get some rotten stuff from him. Not always his fault, of course.

He's a boring promo as a Zombie-type, which is why I probably prefer the Biker days too. At least there was a bit of variety to what he said; even doing the odd bit of comedy. Nowadays he just talks really slowly and stumbles over words.

I think I'm the only person that liked his snake skin trousers. They were superb.

It's Biker Taker for me too, the American Badass was a good gimmick and the "Rollin'" intro music with the bike was absolute quality.

When was that phenomenal match with Angle? And the first Lesnar match? That was during this gimmick, right? I loved that stuff.

• Moderators
Booger Red Taker (what did that mean anyway?)

I just Googled this, and surprise surprise, it was another insipid JR reference to American sports nonsense nobody but him gives a fuck about.

From fatty's blog

From red headed Tommy Nobis who was a monster of a linebacker for Texas and had the same nickname. Undertaker has naturally red hair and is a monster inside the ring. It did not work because it wasn't 'hip' enough for some members of creative.

Really? A reference to a college football player from the 1960s went over people's heads?!

• Paid Members

Biker 'Taker was wonderful, but I never liked the Big Evil and Red Devil handles that were tagged to the persona.

I also loved him walking out to Ain't No Grave. Of all the entrances in all the land, that's the one that goosebumped me.

It's phenomenal that I was only a childer when he walked out at Survivor Series and gave me nightmares that night, and that same man - and gimmick - is still ludicrously over.

• Moderators

Limp Bizkit are shit. Biker taker wore a sleeveless poncho / bib that looked retarded, and his bandana got bigger on a weekly basis to hide his ever receeding hairline.

Sure, he had some good matches, but he also had some incredibly tedious ones where he no sold all day.

"Old School!" is a terrible and idiotic move. It was fine back in the day but it had no place in wrestling even ten years ago. It really didn't help that it was plainly obvious that he would fall off the fucking rope if it wasn't for his opponent supporting him up there. Compare that the the cruisers zipping around, made him look a right tit.

I pretty much hated him as a full-timer in the 2000s, but he has been great since he stepped his schedule down.

Oh, I will say that his entrances have always been entertainment for me and my mates at PPVs - "length of Undertaker's Entrance" is always the tie-breaker point for when we do our PPV prediction tables before each show.

Archived