Let's talk Undertaker

LEGIT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Na mate, only on house shows (none of which the footage have ever surfaced).

I don't believe Undertaker and Savage ever had a one-on-one match, never mind televised. They were both heels between Undertaker's debut and Mania VII when Savage "retired" (and thus never wrestled each other) and in the brief couple of months between Savage's return as a babyface and Undertaker turning himself, they frequently wrestled in Savage/Hacksaw Duggan v Undertaker & Jake the Snake tag team matches, but never one on one. One of the Savage/Duggan v Taker/Snake matches is on Invasion 1992.

Na mate, only on house shows (none of which the footage have ever surfaced).

I don't believe Undertaker and Savage ever had a one-on-one match, never mind televised. They were both heels between Undertaker's debut and Mania VII when Savage "retired" (and thus never wrestled each other) and in the brief couple of months between Savage's return as a babyface and Undertaker turning himself, they frequently wrestled in Savage/Hacksaw Duggan v Undertaker & Jake the Snake tag team matches, but never one on one. One of the Savage/Duggan v Taker/Snake matches is on Invasion 1992.

I did finf this info on another forum some time ago: they faced off 3 times at house shows from July 30 to August 2. Savage was filling in for the Ultimate Warrior, who was originally Undertaker's opponent. Taker only won the second of the three matches.

Got the Premium VIP to meet Undertaker and will get him to sign my Survivor Series 4 poster, cannot wait.

I rewatched some of his Mania bouts today and don't think he had a bad one. The last few have been epic though. Not sure the Lesner one will be epic although if a certain Sting turns up at the end to setup next year then it might just steel the show :).

yeah, ask him about Sting and when he himself is facing Cena. :D

Taker should have been given better streak opponents at a few Mania's IMO. 9/11/19/22.

Savage/Benoit/Angle should have been in there somewhere.

VS Benoit WM 19 & VS Angle WM 22 seemed obvious matches to me at the time.

Couple of other examples like the Boss Man match at WM 15 should have been someone different, anyone except Rock or Austin really.

Didn't like that he faced Kane & HBK twice plus HHH 3 times, can understand the 2nd HBK match though.

• Paid Members
I did finf this info on another forum some time ago: they faced off 3 times at house shows from July 30 to August 2. Savage was filling in for the Ultimate Warrior, who was originally Undertaker's opponent. Taker only won the second of the three matches.

Interessant. I didn't bother checking the dates before Savage's return, but indeed, looks like you can add Randy's name to Tito, Warrior and everyone else that beat Undertaker on the road while they were still pretending he was unbeaten on telly.

WWF @ Portland, ME - Civic Center - July 30, 1991

Randy Savage (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior) pinned the Undertaker

(also of interest - According to the 7/8/91 issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Mr. Perfect vs. Andre the Giant was to have taken place at this taping)

WWF @ Moncton, New Brunswick - Summer 1991 (?)

The Undertaker defeated Randy Savage (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior

WWF @ Pittsburgh, PA - Civic Arena - August 2, 1991

Randy Savage (sub. for the Ultimate Warrior) pinned the Undertaker

That's a nice rarity for fans in three towns to say they got to see. Having said that, Shawn missed the August 2nd show for some reason so on that night the Orient Express got beat by the makeshift team of Marty Jannetty and Shane Douglas. Hmm... I wonder if Marty and Shane went out and had a few soft drinks in Pittsburgh that night?

• Paid Members
Didn't like that he faced Kane & HBK twice plus HHH 3 times, can understand the 2nd HBK match though.

The Kane and HHH rematches made perfect sense. They were great matches as well so what exactly is the problem here?

The Kane and HHH rematches made perfect sense. They were great matches as well so what exactly is the problem here?

Nothing to do with them making sense or not, just wanted Taker to face someone different each year.

Benoit at WM 19 cos based on the rest of the matches already booked that was the best option for me & those 2 hadn't wrestled much before.

• Moderators

Don't see how that makes it obvious. Benoit was being phased back into the Mid card and Taker was doing the whole mentoring Nathan Jones thing which needed monsters to wrestle.

• Paid Members
Why Benoit at 19? I didn't see that at all. Not one bit.

Yeah, Benoit had been involved pretty much exclusively with the Angle, Guerreros, Edge & Rey and Team Angle lot from late 2002 up to WrestleMania 19. It always seemed obvious to me that they were building towards some kind of multi team match Mania. An all-babyface Taker vs Benoit match doesn't really fit in anywhere with what they were doing on TV.

My favourite era of Undertakerness was from 1996 to 1998. The Mankind feud brought out such a different style of match for the Undertaker, with him getting more aggressive and moving about a lot faster in general. Most of their matches were great and Taker seemed like a totally different bloke to the one who bored me shitless with the likes of IRS, Bundy, Kamala, fake Undertakers and the like for so long. Then there was the brilliant stuff around Summerslam in 1997 where Bret spat in Michaels face and the unintentional chair-shot to the Deadman, turning Shawn Heel and sending the Taker on a mission of revenge. Of course that gave us the great Ground Zero match and the legendary Hell in a Cell.

• Moderators

And Benoit was also being kept in reserve to replace Angle if he was too injured to wrestle which was a very realistic possibility in the run-in weeks to Wrestlemania,mso that's why he was in a throwaway match where he wouldn't be missed if he was pulled from it. The same wouldn't be true for an angle/match with 'Taker and they were both faces anyway.

• Paid Members

His career has been something else and since I watched my first episode of Raw in the late 90s, I've never not loved the Undertaker's character. Maybe not his run as Smackdown Champion between 08-10 or whenever it was but then again I wasn't really enjoying anything WWE were putting out around that time. As a kid I was obviously loving the gimmick heavy stuff of the Brothers of Destruction and probably the only time in my entire life that I've actually enjoyed Kane. Then there was that HIAC match against Mankind which was the most mental thing I'd ever seen at that age until the Ministry of Darkness came along and freaked me right out to the point that I wouldn't watch it without my dad. The American Badass gimmick was cool as fuck, so different, and because it was around the time I felt most involved in the wrestling it's arguably my favourite run even though there were guys around that I was enjoying more. I remember marking out something terrible at his return as the Deadman, probably the most I ever had with any wrestler at that point and maybe even ever. These days his Streak matches at Wrestlemania are easily what I look forward to most every year and they've always delivered, it's going to be a sad day when he eventually does pack it in and with his character, I'm not sure I'd want to see him about too much post-ring-retirement.

So aye, he's definitely the man.

First house show I went to, I think Roddy Piper beat him in a bodybag match. Or someone got disqualified for putting the other one in a bodybag.

Biker Undertaker's my favourite as well. He didn't look like a bad transvestite, and his interviews were loads better. Zombie-magic-demon Undertaker's always a shit promo. I liked the Ministry of Darkness Undertaker before he bowed out in '99, when he was basically the American Bad-Ass but still dressed up like an S&M bloke. He's looked absolutely awful pretty much since he went back to the Deadman gimmick a decade ago.

Archived