WWE Reveals 10 WrestleMania Matches That Almost Happened

Direct Impact

• Paid Members
Wasn't HBK pencilled in to face Eddie a Guerro the Wrestlemania after he died?

Yes. Undertaker wanted to wrestle Angle that year, which I believe should Batista have not gotten injured would have left him with (Rumble winner) Randy Orton, which would have been excellent support for Cena vs HHH as opposed to the stupidly short Orton/Angle/Rey triangle match, and Undertaker and Shawn both wasted on opponents that nobody with half a brain expected them to lose to.

WrestleMania IX was fucked around with quite a bit too. Shawn would have wrestled Marty Jannetty if Marty hadn't gotten the sack, Money Inc would have wrestled the Nasty Boys before Vince decided to get Hogan back, Kamala vs Bam Bam Bigelow was announced but never happened, Genichiro Tenryu's appearance at the Rumble was apparently a pre-cursor to a planned match with Lawler but that never happened (presumably because Tenryu was asked to lose which he wasn't keen to do), I've been lead to believe had Flair stayed he'd have wrestled a face-turning Razor when both blamed the other for failure to get rid of Mr Perfect, and Bret implies in his book that if Vince didn't tell him it was the plan, he at least allowed Bret to think there was a chance he'd have wrestled (and beaten) Ultimate Warrior, had Warrior not gotten the sack.

• Paid Members

I'm not having that Triple H vs Mike Tyson "Boxing" match at all. It is literally the first time I've ever heard of it. All the rumours I read of the event were about Triple H grappling with Hogan (or Shawn Michaels, if he wasn't drugged up).

• Paid Members

I was trying to think last night about what Hogan/Austin would have been like had it had happened. You have to feel that WWE knew Hogan was gonna get the cheers on the night, and I don't think the live crowd would have boo'ed Austin anywhere near as much as they did the Rock. Would it have made any difference to what happens post match too?

It would have been really weird.

• Paid Members
WM22 was good on the night but that proposed set of top matches sound fantastic.

That's what I was thinking, you might've had one of the strongest Mania cards of all time there. Perhaps even THE strongest.

Triple H VS Cena

Orton VS Batista

HBK VS Eddie

Taker VS Angle

Foley VS Edge

Benoit VS JBL

Money in the bank

A Rey Mysterio match

That's pretty fucking mega.

• Paid Members
* Ric Flair vs. Hulk Hogan — WWE Championship Match: WrestleMania VIII

The obvious reshuffle from the card that happened if this had been the main event would have been a Savage/Jake blow-off and Undertaker vs Sid, who had been working each other on the house shows in early '92 and continued to do so once both turned. I've long assumed that Shawn would have had his first televised grudge match with Marty Jannetty had Marty not gotten into skirt/cocaine-related trouble six days after the Rumble, and since Ted & Irwin had already filmed some matches for TV as a team after the Rumble but prior to Hawk failing his drugs test it's not unreasonable to assume that Money Inc (as they came to be called) would have wrestled LOD for the belts on the night.

PROPER "ONLY AIR RAID SPECULATING" - I also like to think that the New Foundation/Beverly Brothers revenge match may have been put on the card had Neidhart not got himself the sack. It's possible they still might have turned the Natural Disasters if they revealed on TV that Jimmy Hart had been instrumental in Ted & Irwin getting the title shot instead of them, and they might have wrestled the Nasty Boys (Jimmy Hart's other blokes) at Mania. Or tagged up with Hacksaw & Slaughter as more natural opponents for the Hart-lead team in the 8-man. Or I guess they might have not turned face and been in the 8-man instead. They were doing Duggan & Slaughter vs Disasters on the house shows after all.

So, this is my guess at what the original thoughts for Mania VIII could have been :

Ric Flair VS Hulk Hogan

Randy Savage VS Jake The Snake

The Undertaker VS Sid Justice

Roddy Piper VS Bret Hart

Legion of Doom VS Money Inc

British Bulldog VS The Berzerker

Shawn Michaels VS Marty Jannetty

Tatanka VS The Model

- possibly -

Slaughter & Hacksaw/Boss Man/Virgil VS Natural Disasters/Mountie/Repo Man

New Foundation VS The Beverly Brothers

• Paid Members
....and most important of all, i'd have made sure it got 4 hours, like every other 'Mania until 2000!

Well, if we're going proper full-length Mania with getting everyone on the card in the veins of IV-VII, I'd probably have had El Matador v Skinner, split the 8-man into two separate tag matches and considered having the New Foundation wrestle the Nastys instead since every arena-visiting fan in the country had already seen them wrestle the Beverlys, and had the Beverlys open the broadcast with the Bushwhackers with the marching morons getting the win, as they did in the real dark match at Mania VIII. Bushwhackers & Jamison VS Beverlys & Genius if you're feeling really daft.

Archived