Sign in to follow this  
Astro Hollywood

Smoke & Mirrors and Steven Seagal

Bought it!

There's a mistake in the Index "Where does the truth lay" :(

I knew someone would pull me up on that. The rules are kinda murky on lay vs. lie, so you're within your rights to go either way, and I just thought that way sounded better.

Just getting stuck into this, the James Hydrick chapter was fascinating. I'd seen his Randi face off before and I was dimly aware there was more to his story, but I didn't realise just what a grisly, depressing tale it really is.

Just getting stuck into this, the James Hydrick chapter was fascinating. I'd seen his Randi face off before and I was dimly aware there was more to his story, but I didn't realise just what a grisly, depressing tale it really is.

Spoilers for that chapter and Hydrick's current status:

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

He may be out now. I couldn't find any info about how his recent petition went (though it sounded like he'd never be let out), and when I was in contact with his ex roommate/manager, he was sure that Hydrick had been granted release. At the time, he was still showing up on those 'locate an inmate' websites, but he isn't now, so who knows?

I left it out because I couldn't confirm it, and I didn't want to use any info that guy sent me without his say so, because I knew he was looking to (co)write a proper book about everything.

(And also, thanks if you've bought it or said something nice about it in here. I just feel weird about replying to stuff like that, and am torn between appearing gushy and desperate or outright rude, so I chose the latter :love:)

Edited by Astro Hollywood

You know I realised when I downloaded this and opened my Kindle app, I had Dirt Baby sitting there and I'd never read it! So, lots to catch up on.

Bought it!

There's a mistake in the Index "Where does the truth lay" :(

I knew someone would pull me up on that. The rules are kinda murky on lay vs. lie, so you're within your rights to go either way, and I just thought that way sounded better.

Do you want to know typos if we spot 'em? I did just notice one on the train earlier.. if it is helpful for you I'll tell you, otherwise if it's annoying I'll just keep it to myself.

(that one was the "forth" boy in your SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Ghostbusters play time

)

Ha, yeah, probably best to weed those out, although to prevent me from coming across as an unprofessional mess, anyone finding a typo can PM them to me if they want. This is the first time I've been available for PMs since becoming a mod.

Unless you're hiring professional proofers, it's pretty much impossible to see that shit when you're reading the same stuff a thousand times. Especially those 'words that are also other proper words' ones.

Yeah.. I know what a nightmare it can be, and didn't mean this as a slight.. proofreading used to be part of my job, and now always ends up being so informally too because I'm anal and other people I work with can't spell or grammatise for shit.

I offer my services for your next book if it means I get to read it early!

I offer my services for your next book if it means I get to read it early!

Done and done. I was always all "How do actors learn all those lines?" but by the zillionth read of a book, even if it's 100,000 words long, your brain isn't even reading anymore, it's just reciting it, and papering over the typos and repeated words with what it thinks is there.

I know it's a prick's endeavour bumping your own shit, but I'm doing minimalist movie posters for each chapter, and I'm pretty chuffed with the first one, so here it is.

Also I'm a mod so smd

wrVa2eW.jpg

I've read it and it's fucking aces. Every ruddy word. And not just 'cos it's "our Stuey" but because it's genuinely good.

If you're still on the fence on the tech, I read the whole thing on my phone thru the Kindle app. Absolutely fine.

Support your UKFFers :thumbsup:

I'm going to read it on my proper Kindle. E-Readers, where the big boys play.

Edited by johnnyboy

I was enjoying it until I got to the Luther Blissett reference. Surely the only appropriate adjective for the great man is "majestic."

Pfft, he's hardly Ronny Rosenthal.

To commemorate the Mad Lies of Hulk Hogan being put into print, I've put together this special Hulk Hogan edition of the 2048 game. If you've not played before, you combine two Hulk tiles to create a slightly older Hulkster, with a special prize for anyone who gets to the final Hulk Hogan, #11.

Be warned though, I played this so much yesterday, I was watching a movie and instinctively tried to 'match' two black men with my eyes.