WrestleMania X Reminiscence Thread

AshC

• Paid Members

I'm sure the 10 man turned up on a VHS release. Not a clue when it was filmed though.

Wrestlemania 10 must be one of those that my aunt with sky wasn't too keen staying up to press record and it never turned up in Woolys. Which means i literally went years and year without seeing it which takes a lot away especially with this PPV due to the matches.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'm sure the 10 man turned up on a VHS release. Not a clue when it was filmed though.

It did. Happened the next night on Raw, and was on the WWF Mania VHS collection.

The reason they gave for it not happening at Mania was the heels got into an argument amongst themselves, I think over who was "captain".

It did. Happened the next night on Raw, and was on the WWF Mania VHS collection.

The reason they gave for it not happening at Mania was the heels got into an argument amongst themselves, I think over who was "captain".

Correct.

• Paid Members
Was Undertaker always planned to be off this show? I know he was written out when everyone murdered him at the Rumble but were there ever plans for him to work WMX, and if so, against who?

Undertaker asked for the time off with his (first) wife pregnant in late 1993 and he wanted the time off to spend with the new baba. Had he been part of the original plan prior to asking for the time off, I speculate there is a chance he would have ended up with Yoko at Mania if you believe the alleged plan for the title match...

Earthquake was supposed to go longer in his match with Adam Bomb too. Up until a few weeks before, he was supposed to be grappling with Ludvig Borga.

Fucking daft that they advertised the Borga/Earthquake match on TV throughout February despite the fact that he hadn't yet recovered or returned from the injury he had sustained that kept him out of the Rumble. And indeed, that he didn't recover from before the WWF released him.

Anyway, the original plan bandied around on the 'net that plenty of you will have already read is that Undertaker was going to win the belt from Yokozuna at the Rumble, drop the title to Borga (daft as that sounds) on a Raw between the Rumble and Mania (daft as that sounds) and Borga would drop the title to Luger at Mania, with Bret wrestling Owen and only Owen. Borga would have given Taker a savage beating either during or after the match to explain Taker's absence from TV. If that plan was still on the table, Borga's injury would have scuppered it, although there is every chance it was up in the air already by the time he was injured on 17th January.

Vince clearly used the double-winner scenario in the Rumble itself because he wanted to gauge audience reactions to Luger and Hart and make the direct comparison of who was more popular. The story of Luger having his title win taken away from him because he blabbed about winning the belt in a bar the week before or the night before (depending where you read it) Mania is bollocks ; in Bret's book he says that Vince told him he was getting the belt at the Stamford tapings the morning after the Rumble. Of course, there is every chance Vince left Luger dangling as to whether or not he was getting the belt. Seems like the sort of thing he would do, tell Luger he hadn't decided right up until the last minute, or even tell him or leak that he was winning just to see how he acted. Stories like that crop up in Hogan and Jericho's books too. Jericho tells a funny story about him and Kurt Angle both learning on the same night that they were winning the Undisputed title at Vengeance 2001 and being both very confused.

Unthinkable that Hogan and Undertaker both missed the 10th Anniversary.

Oh, don't start.

• Paid Members
Ludvig Borga being pushed was Scott Keith bollocks, wasn't it?

I dunno. With stuff like that Yoko-Taker-Borga-Luger stuff, I'm usually inclined to think "that's so ridiculous, it's probably true." They got the Luger/Borga interaction going at the end of SummerSlam, they finished the end of the Survivor Series with each other, they'd already been all around the country wrestling each other on house shows so if Luger had walked out of Mania with the belt, Borga wouldn't have been his next program (i.e. take the title from Yoko, defend it against Borga), since everyone going to live events had already seen them fight each other. I can see a certain logic in them using Borga to put the belt on Luger in a straight one on one rather than Yokozuna who was pretty knackered at that point. They had pushed Borga as a monster heel who could beat anyone, he didn't just beat the undefeated Tatanka, they made out that he annihilated him, so maybe Borga having a month or so with the belt might have been considered, even though Luger winning the Rumble and taking the title from the guy he started his run off against is a much easier story to tell.

• Paid Members

Was Tony Halme big over in Japan? He was always on that Eurosport show back in the day. Maybe that would be kind of why he was getting the big push.

Sadly died a few years ago after having a fucking odd life.

Correct.

Almost correct. It was two shows after wm, along with the quake / bomb rematch. ;)

• Paid Members

I remember ruining this show for myself when watching it live (well not exactly live, it was shown at 8pm on the Monday evening if I remember correctly).

I was 10 years old at the time, and went to watch it at my neighbour's house, who would grow out of Wrestling just a few months after this. What spoilt it for me was that I was convinced that Hulk Hogan had to show up because he'd competed in all 9 Wrestlemania's before then, and especially when Roddy Piper and Mr Perfect turned up, I thought it was a banker.

It was such a flat feeling at what should have been a great moment at the end, seeing Bret Hart being hoisted on the shoulders of everyone and paraded round the ring.

I'm still bitter about getting SKY in early 1993 and missing the boat just as all the big stars were leaving/had left.

Luckily, in hindsight, I've watched this show countless times and it still holds up today.

Ludvig Borga being pushed was Scott Keith bollocks, wasn't it?

I dunno. With stuff like that Yoko-Taker-Borga-Luger stuff, I'm usually inclined to think "that's so ridiculous, it's probably true." They got the Luger/Borga interaction going at the end of SummerSlam, they finished the end of the Survivor Series with each other, they'd already been all around the country wrestling each other on house shows so if Luger had walked out of Mania with the belt, Borga wouldn't have been his next program (i.e. take the title from Yoko, defend it against Borga), since everyone going to live events had already seen them fight each other. I can see a certain logic in them using Borga to put the belt on Luger in a straight one on one rather than Yokozuna who was pretty knackered at that point. They had pushed Borga as a monster heel who could beat anyone, he didn't just beat the undefeated Tatanka, they made out that he annihilated him, so maybe Borga having a month or so with the belt might have been considered, even though Luger winning the Rumble and taking the title from the guy he started his run off against is a much easier story to tell.

I can see this happening. They'd done a transitional champ before - The Iron Sheik, Sgt Slaughter. It would've been a strange choice with Borga but then again the WWF of '93/'94 was a strange place!

• Paid Members

My own actual memories of WrestleMania X are a mixed bag. I went to the tour five days after the show, and had yet to see it because I'd not had my lend of the tape from my mate with Sky yet. In the queue to get in the building, I heard another child refer to Owen as "flukey" so I guessed that he had beaten my hero, which made me a sad panda. The Quebecers coming down with the belts gave away that they had retained, but I didn't really give a toss. When they announced that the last match was for the belt and Owen came out as the challenger, I suddenly realized Hitman must have won the belt. He came out as champion, and I went utterly "too many E numbers" mental the way only small children can truly manage.

So when I actually watched the show, I already knew the results of the two matches I had the most emotional investment in. That didn't stop me thinking that the Bret/Owen match was absolutely blinding. I was shocked at how good Owen was on the mat, I had him pegged as a high flyer only. He was still "one half of High Energy" in my child's mind at the time. I started thinking Owen could be that "bad guy" that ruled the midcard the way Perfect used to. Imagine my delight when Perfect himself actually appeared later! I too, didn't really like Luger. I thought they were trying too hard to make him Hogan, and had been convinced Mania X would be his night. I thought Perfect was utterly justified in disqualifying Luger. The King exclaimed "He put his hands on Mr Perfect!!" and I thought "Yeah, he did. That's dumb. Fuck him."

The ladder match blew my mind. I did wonder why they acted like the ladder match was such a novelty, having seen the Bret/Shawn one on Smack Em Whack Em, but this version made that one look pedestrian in comparison. "This is mental" I thought. "Shawn Michaels is fucking mad." I wondered how Michaels would rebound from such a big loss, but moreover I wondered if I could ever boo him with true conviction again, because clearly he put everything into that match. Razor in winning looked a complete boss, and I found myself thinking "who the fuck can beat him now??" after surviving such a car wreck.

Finally, my hero limped out to get his belt back from the tub of guts that first cheated him of it. Despite Lawler's nonsense about animosity between Piper and Bret, I knew Piper wouldn't shaft Bret because he was a good bloke. At this point, with my knowledge of the WWF only going back as far as WrestleMania VI, Piper had been a good guy forever, and no way would he hurt another "good guy." I thought the match was a damp squib. but Bret won, as I already knew he would, so it pleased me. Admittedly, I half-expected Hogan to show up and ruin it by beating him, but he didn't. Overall, WrestleMania X became one of my favourite tapes in the months to come, but as a kid it was more to do with my hero coming out on top than how good the matches had been.

It would've been a strange choice with Borga but then again the WWF of '93/'94 was a strange place!

He was pretty despised. Again, maybe the timing would have been right with so many of the fans pissed off over what he did to Tatanka. It's easy to forget how popular certain guys were and Tatanka was over like fucking Rover. For Luger to win the title with a good-guy superhero win, it's possible Borga had overtaken Yokozuna in the "evil cunt" stakes.

• 4 months later...

I'm still bitter about getting SKY in early 1993 and missing the boat just as all the big stars were leaving/had left.

We got cable a few weeks after Summerslam 92, which was the first ppv without Hulk... The Primetime on that day had El Matador vs Shango from Summerslam on it....funny the things you remember eh?

The first thing i always think about Wrestlemania X is Savage's horrendous tying of Crush's legs to that pulley thing...

Was Tony Halme big over in Japan? He was always on that Eurosport show back in the day. Maybe that would be kind of why he was getting the big push. Sadly died a few years ago after having a fucking odd life.

I was reading up on him a month or so ago oddly enough. I found videos of him in what appeared to be some sort of bailiff television show, and getting beaten by Randy Couture in MMA. 

• Paid Members

Will always love WrestleMania X. Was the first PPV I ever watched on it's first airing (I can't remember if it was shown live). Back then I had to wait days (occassionally), weeks (often) or months (normally) to see shows.

I don't think any other show I've ever been interested in (i.e. US mainstream) has ever had two matches as good as Bret/Owen and Shawn/Razor. I absolutely loved the Savage/Crush match too but to this day I've never seen it.

Being amongst the worlds biggest Bret Hart marks, the ending absolutely capped it for me. I think it's about the only time I've ever celebrated the result of a wrestling match like I would a Hull City goal.

I think 1994 is a great year for wrestling. Some superb matches and a lot of acts I really liked were prominent like Bret, Shawn, Razor, Diesel, 123 Kid, Owen, Yoko and Luger. I can see why others would think otherwise though. If you were into Hogan, I guess you might miss him. Undertaker missing most of the year was a blow and Savage and Lawler were underutilised.

Archived