Wrestling pubs in Japan - would they work here?

Maikeru

I don't think a wrestling themed pub would work but if they did a Wrestling Night at a pub near me I'd go.

I remember years back they did something like this at Pages bar near Victoria station in London (which was normally a Star Trek/Sci-Fi themed pub)

They played a few Roh/Tna Matches on the projector screen from around that time and did a quiz along with a few drinks it was a good night, well worth going.

I'm as big of a sci fi geek as I am a wrestling geek, and while I never went to Page's, its legendary amongst my circle of friends.

That being said, it kind of proves the point why it won't work. Pages is gone.

You've also got the example of JR's restaurant in Oklahoma. Judging by the pops that Ross used to get in Oklahoma, you'd think he was a god in his area, but it wasn't enough to sustain a business, and it was closed down. He still flogs is BBQ sauce online though I suspect a lot of that has to do with the fact he chucks in his autograph with certain deals.

• Paid Members

Maybe a tiny grimy bar somewhere really inhabited like London with select coolish wrestling stuff dotted about like posters, selected vintage merch and lucha masks would work as wrestling fans would trek there but other people would go just by chance as it's an atmospheric dive to drink in. A TGI Fridays style large wrestling themed family restaurant sounds like it would be the worst, least successful place ever though.

• Paid Members
I'm a wrestling fan and I don't think I'd go to a wrestling pub for a drink.

This.

I come across a few posts on here where some posters greatly overestimate how popular Wrestling actually is (especially when we're not in a boom period).

Its understandable in a way if you're in a bubble and your circle of friends come together to watch RAW every week, or what have you. But i'm sure that's not the experience a great number of us have.

If I went on a Stag Do for example, and I even hinted at stopping off at a Wrestling pub, I can imagine the ribbing would be unmerciless!

I can imagine the only way it would come anywhere near being a success, was it it went for an 'ironic' type thing where it had photos of Demolition, Macho Man etc. Basically, Wrestlers most 20 or 30 something people would know. In a nutshell, definately not Prince Devitt sat there in his underpants.

• Paid Members
I'm as big of a sci fi geek as I am a wrestling geek, and while I never went to Page's, its legendary amongst my circle of friends.

All in the location, though. Victoria? There's nothing geeky there - the closest you've got is that shitty little bookshop/sex shop that used to sell comics and stuff like that.

One in Covent Garden/Soho, though, similar to the FAB cafe's up in Manchester and Leeds? I could see them working, because you're close to a bunch of comic and bookshops, so there's a reason to go.

No it would never work. As noted by others wwe and jr couldn't sustain wrestling themed bars/restaurants - so they would def bomb in the uk. The best you can hope for is places like the common room on Sheffield, which is a fairly large American style sports bar where they show most of the ppvs and are rammed for things like wrestlemania etc

I highly doubt it would work, have always wondered though if it was a wrestling/mma/boxing themed bar that showed classic & live shows from each sport on a few screens in different areas of the bar then maybe? Presuming they offered pretty much all shows live, it could potentially gain a decent amount of regulars. As youd be catering to a wider following then. Even if both MMA/Wrestlig dont have huge followings over here, my guess is there would be enough.My guess is though that it would have to be just a small bar somewhere around London.

All in the location, though. Victoria? There's nothing geeky there - the closest you've got is that shitty little bookshop/sex shop that used to sell comics and stuff like that.

One in Covent Garden/Soho, though, similar to the FAB cafe's up in Manchester and Leeds? I could see them working, because you're close to a bunch of comic and bookshops, so there's a reason to go.

Its not the location... some of my mates used to trek down from Peterborough regularly.

I regularly go to Star Trek meet ups at Leeds and Manchester at both FABs, and they only open during daylight hours though, unless its by arrangement with a group or for a show. The rest of the time, its just another student type hangout.

Archived