Wrestling pubs in Japan - would they work here?

Maikeru

Heading to Japan this weekend for a couple of weeks of work/leisure and looking forward to spending time at wrestling-themed bar 'Ring Soul' (http://www.ringsoul.jp/) in Kobe. A puroresu lover's dream, it's a place where the most passionate fans come together to discuss the latest happenings, watch classic shows from an extensive library and live broadcasts from Japan's 24 hour wrestling channel, as well as even meet the odd NJPW, Dragon Gate or AJPW wrestler who drops in for a pint. 'Evening with....' events held every month with top current New Japan stars with ticket prices under 20 quid. Owner also promotes the odd show as well (having previously booked the defunct Eldorado promotion for a couple of years).

There are a couple of other similar establishments in Japan I haven't been to yet in Osaka and Tokyo (latter being owned and run by the indie promotion 'DDT' - waiter and bar staff are all members of the roster!).

So what do you reckon - bankruptcy within a year if the concept were tried over here? Or could it appeal to a sufficiently large niche to keep it afloat?

• Paid Members

No chance in my opinion. Pubs are closing as it is, so one with a theme of oiled up grown men in lycra is hardly going to keep it's head above water. If shows don't pull in many folk over here, and they are carefully promoted shows that take place no more than once a month in each town, then a pub has no chance. Some bars have special Rumble and Wrestlemania parties, but I think that's as much as you'd get.

Could imagine this working in a place like Glasgow where ICW is puling in anywhere between 700 and 1000 every 4 weeks. Even if it goes tits up just rebrand the pub as something else, keep the wrestling crowd in but make it a music venue aswell, for example.

• Paid Members

There is a pub opposite the regular ICW venue that goes wrestling themed on the afternoon before shows. They put WWE DVDs on the telly, have ICW themed cocktails and do one-off deals like "walk up to the bar, do a Randy Savage OOOOH YEAAAAH and get a free shot."

BRAoo2pCYAA-smK.png

• Paid Members
I think there could be some scope for a wrestling themed bar/restaurant that can be used by families and adults. Along the lines of a TGI Fridays or Hard Rock Cafe menu with a wrestling merch section.

Which is essentially what WWFNewYork was, which is long dead. Frankie & Bennies have pictures of Antonino Rocca up on their walls, that's the closest you'll get.

I think there could be some scope for a wrestling themed bar/restaurant that can be used by families and adults. Along the lines of a TGI Fridays or Hard Rock Cafe menu with a wrestling merch section.

Which is essentially what WWFNewYork was, which is long dead. Frankie & Bennies have pictures of Antonino Rocca up on their walls, that's the closest you'll get.

Good point, I also think one of the biggest drawbacks would be that any chance of success would rest on a licensing agreement with WWE to show dvds on screens etc which might not be accesible or cost effective.

• Moderators

Mmm. Nothing says "sound business plan" and "growth opportunity" more than references to Hard Rock Cafe and TGI Fridays.. They may be stable (I don't know if they are) but they are definitely stagnant and there isn't really room in that market.

• Paid Members

No.

Compare the Japanese wrestling scene to the domestic British wrestling scene. Japanese organisations can fill huge stadiums and arenas, and their pro wrestlers are held in high regard. Now look at the British wrestling scene. Struggle to fill leisure centres, and lots of skinny pale kids in kick-pads.

A wrestling pub just wouldn

I don't think a wrestling themed pub would work but if they did a Wrestling Night at a pub near me I'd go.

I remember years back they did something like this at Pages bar near Victoria station in London (which was normally a Star Trek/Sci-Fi themed pub)

They played a few Roh/Tna Matches on the projector screen from around that time and did a quiz along with a few drinks it was a good night, well worth going.

Archived