UFC 172: Jones vs Teixeira

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I think the major thing going for Gustaffson this time around is the belief he now carries in himself. Jones obviously had this before, but coming out of their fight Gusty's belief went to a whole new level. Whilst Manuwa can't be considered top level opposition, the way in which AG carried himself from the promos to the actual fight showed me that the Jones fight has unleashed a whole new animal.

It really is going to be an incredible fight and for me, quite possibly the biggest fight in mma history potentially surpassing Silva/Sonnen 2.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jon Jones posted this on Instagram;

9ef99f50cf2211e38acd0002c9e01ff4_6.jpg

Talking all that trash before the fight.. you mad bro?

He also posted a video of Phil Davis getting smacked about by Rumble. I must admit, I'm liking this trolling side of Jones.

• Paid Members

Thought it was a brilliant performance from Jones. All i said going in was that i was worried Jones would be tentative after the Gustaffsson fight but there none of that, Jones came in and outside of more restrained opening round, Jones opened his box of tricks and beat Glover up. Glover stylewise is too one-dimensional to beat Jones but Jones almost played into Glover's style and allowed him to get into the fight more than he ever had too, i dont see how anyone could not be impressed with what Jones did Saturday night.

Rest of the card was great, two KO of the Year candiates, a couple of Sub of the year candidates, couple of fun opener's to the PPV, quality prelims and the return of Rumble Johnson drops himself right in the title mix at 205.

The only bummer for me of the night was the women's fight. It wasn't bad really, but i've really soured on women's fights recently. Felt the same with the Kaufman fight last week...it's not that the women are bad, i appreciate the ladies talent and guts, it just feels like most women's fight's end up looking sparring sessions...it never feels like the women have the fire power to really hurt each other, that may sound a litttle harsh but i always feel i can go take a shit, come back and feel pretty confident that i'm not gonna miss anything significant.

• Paid Members

Yeah the last few womens fights haven't been that good. Tate vs Carmouche wasn't much cop, although the last round was very good. I didn't really enjoy Kaufman vs Smith and Duke vs Correia much.

The lack of power thing is valid. It's a bit like flyweight in that regard, but even more evident. I can't even really recall a legit KO in womens MMA off the top of my head other than Zoila wiping out Rosi Sexton with that brutal knee in Bellator way back. There's surely been others but none that jump out. Even the powerhouse strikers like Cyborg and Holm usually finish on an accumulation of strikes rather than one shot. So it kind of takes an element of unpredictability out of the mix which makes MMA exciting.

I'm still a fan because I'm a fan of MMA as a whole. If you forget that they're women for a sec, not every fight will be great. Every mens fight isn't awesome either. But the problem with the women is there's usually only one fight every couple of cards. If there's a shit mens fight it'll be more quickly forgotten because there's so many more after it. If the women have a shit fight, there mightn't be another womens fight for a month so it sticks in the memory that bit more.

There's a long way to go before the womens game is on par with the mens. But on the whole it's been a fun division, I think. Rousey vs Carmouche and Tate, Zingano vs Tate, Pennington vs Duke on TUF, Pennington vs Andrade, there's been some really exciting fights. Tecia Torres vs Rose Namajunas and Michelle Waterson vs Jessica Penne from Invicta were fantastic as well. There's been plenty of exciting fights, but yeah, they're going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment for me.

• Paid Members

yeh there's been some great stuff, when they get into actual MMA style fights they tend to be great, but many end up being glorified sparring contests. I think the more i watch Glory Kickboxing and am becoming more of a boxing fan im going off the low quality kickboxing style matches that happen too often in MMA...a lot of women's fights fall into that category.

I was going to mention a bit about the women's division the other day- when it first started, the fights were pretty awesome. I thought it was maybe because of the novelty, but I went back and re-watched them, and they still hold up. I think, when the division was in its infancy, the women felt like they had something to prove, so you'd see this hyper-aggression. Now, Rousey has helped establish the division, probably more than any sub-155 division, and the women are getting more comfortable. I almost want to say complacent, but that would be unfair- we don't hold the men to this standard of always being in barnburners just because of fights like Wand vs. Stann.

Archived