UFC 172: Jones vs Teixeira

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jones don't give a fuck if you think he's cocky;

"I think I am. I think I am a little arrogant," he said on Monday. "I think it's really important. The thing about me I say all the time is, I notice that I'm full of myself and I am arrogant to some degree, but it's obviously only when it comes to talking about MMA, where literally, I do the wildest stuff. I don't think I live like a celebrity at all. All my friends are normal people, normal dudes who do the most normal stuff all the time. But when it comes to MMA, there is a big chip on my shoulder. There is a way that I look at myself, and I think it's really, really important. It's something I'm not really apologetic for. As I get older and as I win more, I start to embrace it even more. The biggest thing is not to be apologetic for it. I realize it's a big part of the reason I'm able to perform out there. The moment I let fear seep is the moment the fights start getting closer and closer. So yeah, I think it's important to be an absolute believer and have that confidence."

"I think it's funny when people say I need to beat Gustafsson again to prove my greatness," he said. "It's like, what makes Gustafsson great? Because he had a close fight with me? What else has he really done to prove that he's great, you know what I mean? Styles make matchups."

"He's not a champion at all," he said. "I've won the belt seven times. He got tapped by Phil Davis and lost to me fair and square. This guy gets so much praise. Having a close fight with me was the greatest thing he's ever done. And I think he's like living off of that and feeding off of it and loving it. It's a defeat. It's still a defeat. The guy's driving around on a new motorcycle with a new Rolex like he's the champ. It's like, 'Dude, you lost. You still lost.' You have so much pride for coming close to me. I would be pissed off if I was him."

"Having the fight with Gustafsson, I got a taste of what it would be like if I actually lost," he said. "Hearing things like, 'You suck,' I ask myself, how can I suck after beating almost every legend in light-heavyweight history? But hearing this negative backlash from having such a close fight has motivated me to not ever lose. It's like, if people can talk to me like this for having a close fight, imagine what guys who lose hear? It's a different level of motivation I've gotten through having such a close fight."

Full article - http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/jon-jon...:fscom:ufconfox

• Paid Members

Anyone been keeping up with this Phil Davis/Jon Jones stuff? Davis has started being a fair bit more vocal recently. Especially after Dana's recent comments that he doesn't get the impression Davis really pushes for the big fights. Davis has had a few things to say since then. Now granted, I think Davis has almost nothing for Jones should the fight eventually take place, but you can't fault him for trying.

Today is press conference day, and according to Helwani, there was a bit of awkwardness between Davis and Jones;

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani

Phil tried to stare Jon down. Jon just laughed him off and said he out loud he doesn't think he's focused.

Something of nothing obviously, but Jones has plenty to do at 205. He's backed off on heavyweight talk lately as well. He's got his plate full at 205. Amazing how quick things change. Before the Gustafsson fight it was looking like he'd pretty much done everything at 205 and a heavyweight move was pretty imminent. Now he's got Glover who's a dangerous fight, Gustafsson who's given him his hardest night's work yet and could be his toughest rival at 205, Cormier who he's been building a grudge with for a while now who could also potentially pose problems, and now this beef brewing with Phil Davis.

And as if that wasn't enough, he's even had time to get into it with Chuck Liddell. Anyone seen this? From what I can tell it all started with Chuck's appearance on Helwani's MMA Hour last week. Of course, Chuck being Glover's teammate, the subject of Jones came up. And Chuck didn't exactly pull any punches.

Liddell on Jones pulling out of UFC 151;

"I think pulling out really hurt him with the fans. That was, you're fighting a guy coming up from a weight class down, who, when you're given a chance, I heard an excuse about him being a southpaw, I mean, c'mon, you fought a left hander the fight before. And it's not like Chael is a slick southpaw, a slick striker, he's a brawler with the stance because he shoots that way. Pulling out of that probably hurt him with the fans, I mean, it's just I think some of the stuff he says they don't agree with. You can't have everything."

"I would have done anything just to keep the fight. I'll fight anybody. I've already done all the training and I've already gotten ready for it. I'm in great shape and I'm the best light heavyweight in the world, I shouldn't be afraid to fight anybody."

Liddell on Glover vs Jones;

"I think Glover either hurts Jones with a punch and he shoots and submits him, or knocks him out. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those things. Doesn't get past round three."

Liddell on if he would've fought Jones when he was in his prime;

"I think I would have been a horrible matchup for him. I would have walked through his punches and he wouldn't have caught me with anything."

Liddell on Jones in general;

"I like Jon, I think he's a good guy. I'd like to see him get after it more and try to finish more. But he's tough man, he's doing what he does."

Jones responds;

"At the end of the day, if Chuck wants to come out of retirement, I welcome him to a superfight."

"You've got to expect Chuck to take his boy's back or have his boy's back, and that's what he's doing.

He's coming out saying a lot of other stuff like he would walk through my punches if he ever fought me and he would have beat me in his prime and all this other stuff.

I'm not going to sit here and insult Chuck. He's a very, very loved person by the masses, so I'm just going to keep my mouth shut. But I mean, it's like, come on, Chuck, just knock it off. Keep your mouth shut."

5v6mag.jpg

Liddel is right in theory, a prime Liddle would be a nightmare style match-up for Jones.

However, I think that MMA has evolved a bit too much over the past 8 years. I can picture Jones pick Liddle apart with refined striking, and even breaking Liddel's takedown defense and finishing him with GnP.

Or maybe I am getting cynical with old age ;)

Liddel is right in theory, a prime Liddle would be a nightmare style match-up for Jones.

However, I think that MMA has evolved a bit too much over the past 8 years. I can picture Jones pick Liddle apart with refined striking, and even breaking Liddel's takedown defense and finishing him with GnP.

Or maybe I am getting cynical with old age ;)

You have to bear in mind that a prime Liddell today would be more sharp and skilled than a prime Liddell of the past though. There are too many factors when looking at situations like this.

• Paid Members

Everything seems to be gearing towards a Davis/Jones Title fight after 172, the promotion for that has almost overshadowed the fights going on Saturday night...especially Davis/Rumble. I'm almost forgetting that Rumble Johnson is returning Saturday night.

Everything seems to be gearing towards a Davis/Jones Title fight after 172, the promotion for that has almost overshadowed the fights going on Saturday night...especially Davis/Rumble. I'm almost forgetting that Rumble Johnson is returning Saturday night.

There's still a Swedish lad waiting on his crack at the belt first mind.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they can't make Gustafsson wait surely. If Jones beats Glover, then Jones vs Gustafsson 2 has to be the number one choice and should happen late summer/early autumn.

I can see the Davis vs Rumble winner ending up fighting the Cormier vs Hendo winner to determine the next number one contender after Gustafsson. There's going to be a fair wait otherwise if they sit out for the title shot. My guess is it'll come down to Cormier vs Davis with Cormier coming out on top.

Anything can happen though. Who's to say Jones won't demand that Davis gets a shot so he can twat him? Remember, this fight tomorrow was originally going to be Jones vs Gus 2 until Jones decided Glover should get his shot rather than go right into the immediate rematch.

I think Gustafsson has to be next. But I wouldn't be surprised if Jones (if he's still champ after Glover and Gus 2) makes Cormier wait (if he beats Hendo) and defends against Davis after that (if Jones beat Gus and Davis beat Rumble). Lot of ifs.

Anything can happen though. Who's to say Jones won't demand that Davis gets a shot so he can twat him? Remember, this fight tomorrow was originally going to be Jones vs Gus 2 until Jones decided Glover should get his shot rather than go right into the immediate rematch.

That would only reinforce the idea that Jones is running from Gustafsson.

You have to bear in mind that a prime Liddell today would be more sharp and skilled than a prime Liddell of the past though. There are too many factors when looking at situations like this.

Well yes

But I think Jones and Gusty might just be a bit to athletic for him. Chuck always seemed to be more of a fighter than a athlete if you catch my drift. I am not really alluding the changes made in sports science, more the change in the type of athletes we see in the UFC.

• Paid Members
But I think Jones and Gusty might just be a bit to athletic for him. Chuck always seemed to be more of a fighter than a athlete if yo catch my drift. I am not really alluding the changes made in sports science, more the change in the type of athletes we see in the UFC.

I catch it yo.

Prime Chuck vs Prime Jones would've been interesting. I've seen people losing their shit over his comments, wheeling out the old 'Chuck has no chin, Jones would kill him' and stuff. But Chuck was talking about his prime not the Chuck who would've got knocked out by a sharp wind at the end. And on paper, prime Chuck had scary KO power, a solid as fuck chin and a ridiculous sprawl and ability to get back to his feet if he was taken down.

Saying that, I think the best Jones would have beat the best Chuck whatever the circumstances. Like you say, Jones is way more athletic. Even in Chuck's prime he walked like Frankenstein. I'm sure in his book he said he had a problem with his legs as a child and had to go through loads of physical therapy, the Herman Munster walk he had as an adult was a direct result of that. Then you factor in Jones' size and reach advantage. Even Chuck's stellar defensive wrestling, Jones has shone brightest against wrestlers. I still think he'd have been able to take Chuck down. And Chuck was pretty stubborn. Even with the advancements in training, he'd have probably stuck with Hackleman. He didn't start working with ATT until the end. I think David is right that prime Chuck now would be better but I can't help thinking it'd only be a marginal difference. He was loyal to The Pit, almost to a fault. I'm not sure how much better he'd have been now.

It's a fun thing to talk about but it is impossible to gauge. I just think Jones' natural physical gifts, the size and range and athleticism would give any version of Liddell problems.

And as mental as the idea sounds and as much as I hope Chuck stays retired, I won't be surprised if Chuck's been blowing Dana's phone up since Jones called him out of retirement. I don't think Dana would ever let Chuck come back but who the fuck knows at this point? Chuck seemed content with retirement once he'd finally announced it, he seemed like he came to terms with it and even admitted his chin faded in the end. But I wouldn't be shocked if Chuck's seen all this talk of Gina Carano possibly coming back to fight Ronda after five years away, and thought he could wangle a comeback out of it. I really hope not and he leaves that alone, but most fighters always seem to think they've got that one more run in them. Even now he's saying "I'd walk through Jones' punches. He wouldn't catch me with anything". Them's fighting words.

I worry that we're all getting excited for Jones v Gustafsson 2 and it will end up like Silva v Sonnen 2

Still I actually feel we are all underestimating Texeria as well and I think he might just pull it off.

Jones smug face smashed and Liverpool beat Chelsea? Could be a hell of a weekend for me!!

• Paid Members

Jones and Rashad are friendly again. This is from today;

BmGSCpACUAA5afL.jpg

It's actually kind of cool to see them on better terms.

The Countdown was very good, I thought. Did a good job of making Glover look like a monster, the Davis vs Rumble bit was good and I'm even actually more hyped for Rockhold vs Boetsch than I was previously. Todd Grisham was one of the talking heads which I wasn't expecting. Forgot he had the ESPN gig now.

Helwani's interviews are up on YouTube as well. Nothing earth shattering. Jones looked like he'd just taken a smoke with the Diaz boys. Eyes all buggy, can't be arsed voice, the lot. Think he said he'd been asleep or something though. Glover comes across as the most chilled out, nicest guy you could meet. Just super likeable, up there with JDS, Shogun, Zingano etc. Hard not to root for him tomorrow and I'll be happy for him if he wins, but like I said before I really want that Jones vs Gustafsson rematch so I'm hoping (and expecting) for a Jones win. Phil Davis' interview was weird as fuck. I don't know how to read him now, he's like Roy Nelson, he talks in riddles. Ariel barely got a straight, serous answer out of him the whole interview.

Can't wait for this show now.

Archived