UFC 172: Jones vs Teixeira

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did anyone actually expect Dana White, the UFC promoter, to come out and say something like "This weekend, folks! Don't miss the big UFC card! it's got a half-decent lineup of fights that you should watch if you're not busy, but shouldn't feel guilty about missing as it's not our best card by any stretch!"?

:laugh:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it's a promoter's job to hype and exaggerate their events, but they should carry some element of believability. It's really easy to draw a wrestling parallel here- WWE promote pretty much every Wrestlemania as the biggest event ever, which is fair enough, but this is like looking at Extreme Rules, a fairly decent card, and having Michael Cole claiming that, "This will be the greatest WWE event of all time!" It loses all credibility.

• Paid Members
Did anyone actually expect Dana White, the UFC promoter, to come out and say something like "This weekend, folks! Don't miss the big UFC card! it's got a half-decent lineup of fights that you should watch if you're not busy, but shouldn't feel guilty about missing as it's not our best card by any stretch!"?

:laugh:

come on Dave, i understand fight promotion fully...but come on, if Dana had come out and said 'this weekend we have a stacked card', i wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but the most stacked card in history!? Dana doesn't say that all the time so he probably believes it to be true in some kind of capacity, i just dont see it.

come on Dave, i understand fight promotion fully...but come on, if Dana had come out and said 'this weekend we have a stacked card', i wouldn't have batted an eyelid, but the most stacked card in history!? Dana doesn't say that all the time so he probably believes it to be true in some kind of capacity, i just dont see it.

Come on, it's most likely been a slip of the tongue. I doubt Dana actually believes this card is the most stacked card of all time.

• Paid Members

I've been saying for a while it's a really good card, although it has lost some sparkle with Ellenberger vs Saffiedine and Miller vs Green going tits up. It's not anywhere near being the 'Most Stacked Card Ever!!' like Dana is saying but promoters gonna promote.

What made me laugh though, during the FOX scrum the other day, someone asked Dana about UFC 175 and said 'is it the most stacked card you've ever done?' And he laughed and said something like 'I dunno about that.' So a card topped by Weidman vs Machida, Rousey vs Davis and Chael vs Wandy isn't 'the bestest card we've ever done' but one topped by Jones vs Teixeira, Davis vs Rumble and Rockhold vs Boetsch is? If you're going to overhype things at least be consistent.

Another thing with Dana. If fans are bashing a card before it's happened he goes mental saying stuff like 'How can you criticise a card that hasn't even happened yet? It's fucking insane. Fucking idiots' etc etc. Well by that logic you can't heap praise on fights that haven't happened yet either. How do you pimp a show as 'awesome, cool, sick' or whatever other words a middle aged man sounds ridiculous saying, when it hasn't happened yet? Can't have it both ways.

Although I think Jones is going to win handily, I am really excited for the Main Event. The Light Heavyweight Title I consider to have a very rich history in the UFC (Only the WW Title, and maybe the MW come close to matching its prestige)

The hyping of Glover is growing this week. Johnathan Snowden tweeted this

- Jonathan Snowden ‏@mmaencyclopedia 1h

Per Kevin Iole " there are some experts who are choosing Teixeira to score the upset." Please share this treasure trove of expert analysis.

On paper, Glover's resume has its strengths and weaknesses. The strength is that he has not lost in 9 years (to a young Ed Herman), and he has not been finished since his first fight.

The weakness is that he has a lot of over the hill and average fighters on his resume. This is partially due to him not being in the UFC for years. The most noteworthy names are.

- Rampage

- Ricco Rodriguez

- Bader

- Maldonando

The latter two could be considered decent talents, but the other two were way past it when Glover faced them. Glover has never faced a real top contender, never mind the best Light Heavyweight of all time. Plus, whilst Glover impressed against these talents, he showed vulnerability a little too often. He can be sloppy with his striking, and a striker like Jones can take advantage of that.

Chuck Liddel is convinced Glover can win, and has been saying that for years. I do not see it at all. I see Jones being too fast, too skilled and too refined. I think he keeps Glover at a distance standing and stops him late on by GnP. Glover seems tough, and has a decent ground game, so I doubt Jones will be finishing this one early. I believe the fight will resemble a Wladamir Klitchsko boxing match, a slow and painful breaking down, drawn out over 3 or 4 dominant rounds.

Jones has something to prove after the Gusty fight. Even more so after Gusty looked like a killer in his last fight. There are questions now about Jones's dominance at 205lbs. Gusty could be the guy to beat him, he has the tools and the mind-set seemingly. Glover might have the mind-set, but I do not think he has the tools sadly.

• Paid Members

the thing with Glover is even though he has avoided many top tier fighters in their prime on his way to the top, the dude has just breezed through everyone hes fought, theres a question as to what kind of level he can raise his game too.

Im not really making a prediction, there un-answered questions on both side. Its a fascinating fight, but at 4/1 i think a few quid on Glover is worth a punt.

the thing with Glover is even though he has avoided many top tier fighters in their prime on his way to the top, the dude has just breezed through everyone hes fought, theres a question as to what kind of level he can raise his game too.

Bader tagged a good few times, and he looked sloppy at times against Fabio.

Do not get me wrong, he has looked impressive, but he has also shown weaknesses.

• Paid Members

I don't really think there are many unanswered questions on Jones' side. The only one I can think of is how he'll look coming off the war with Gustafsson.

He's answered everything else more than once IMO. He's dealt with strikers, wrestlers, power punchers. He's been cracked by Machida, Gustafsson and Rashad and still come out on top. Escaped Belfort's armbar that looked pretty much locked in. Showed heart and ability to come back from adversity against Gustafsson. He can hold up over five rounds.

There's more question marks on Glover. We haven't seen him fight someone who's a top 205er and in form yet. We haven't seen him in the fourth and fifth rounds. We haven't seen him on his back. All we've seen is him destroying everyone. We already know he's got power so watching him deck Bader didn't tell us much new.

He's also been rocked twice with left hooks in the UFC alone which is worrying. He came back well both times but can he do that at championship level? He's got a very good grappling base which he hasn't shown that much, and devastating but sometimes sloppy striking. The UFC have done a stellar job hyping him up considering he's yet to beat anyone who's both a top 205er and on top of their game.

I don't know. I'm not saying Glover won't pass all these tests but I'll be interested to see how he responds when he's on the receiving end of the punishment instead of dishing it out. He's had it all his own way so far. He's beat some good fighters but when you compare their records, just look at their last 10 fights;

Jones' last 10

Alexander Gustafsson (came from behind to almost stop Gus and won the decision)

Chael Sonnen (one round demolition, with his toe hanging off!)

Vitor Belfort (tapped Carlson Gracie blackbelt)

Rashad Evans (shut-out decision)

Lyoto Machida (first to submit Machida)

Rampage Jackson (first to tap Rampage since Sakuraba)

Shogun Rua (first to stop Shogun with strikes)

Ryan Bader (first to beat Bader)

Vladimir Matyushenko (wrecked Vlad in under 2 minutes)

Brandon Vera (broke Vera's face within a round)

Both his list of victims and the way he dismantled them all (bar Gustafsson), is fucking ridiculous.

Glover's last 10

Ryan Bader (Bader rocked him with a left hook before Glover TKO'd him)

James Te Huna (good win but Te Huna's mid-tier at best)

Rampage Jackson (way past his best but a good fight)

Fabio Maldonado (Glover absolutely killed him, but still got wobbled by that left hook)

Kyle Kingsbury (demolition job, great UFC debut over a tough guy)

Ricco Rodriguez (past his best, but a nice scalp for the record)

Marvin Eastman (past his best, not that he was ever a world beater)

Antonio Mendes (ex UFC fighter for a spell, decent-ish, nothing special)

Marcio Cruz (battered Mir but an MMA journeyman at best)

Simao Melo (?)

I'm being critical of Glover, he's only fought who's been put in front of him and the visa issues which stopped him coming to the UFC sooner meant he could only fight who was available in the minor leagues. Considering that, he's not done too bad record wise. There's some decent names there. But it's just a fact that Jones and Glover have been operating on completely different levels for years. Styles make fights and all that, and I'm not saying Glover can't win or that he can't rise to the challenge. Maybe he can. But I'm not buying into the hype machine on him being the Jones slayer. I think Gustafsson and Cormier are the two best equipped to give Jones problems and even then I'd probably pick Jones to beat them as well. I just don't see Glover's style working against Jones. He's got a decent punchers chance and that's it, I reckon.

I'll go Jones by TKO, round 4. Ground and pound elbows. Lots of blood.

• Paid Members

the question i refer to with Jones is how he's recovered from that Gustaffsson fight, he looks/ fine and its business as usual in the promo videos, but nothing will tell us the answer until Saturday night.

• Paid Members

Hopefully the last change to the card. Joe Ellenberger vs Vagner Rocha is off. Castillo vs Brenneman moves up from Fight Pass to the FOX Sports 1 prelims.

The final card (hopefully) shapes up like this;

PPV MAIN CARD

Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira - UFC Light Heavyweight Title

Phil Davis vs Anthony Johnson

Luke Rockhold vs Tim Boetsch

Jim Miller vs Yancy Medeiros

Max Holloway vs Andre Fili

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Joseph Benavidez vs Tim Elliott

Takanori Gomi vs Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Jessamyn Duke vs Bethe Correia

Danny Castillo vs Charlie Brenneman

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Chris Beal vs Patrick Williams

It's taken a few hits but it's still a strong card, I reckon. And there's enough fighters I really like on there like Rumble, Miller, Holloway, Gomi and Duke. The main event could be great as well. I'm heavily favouring Jones but Glover's dangerous and Jones is coming off the hardest fight of his career. Really looking forward to this show now.

• Paid Members

Castillo's happy then, he was annoyed that he was buried on Fight Pass despite this being his 18th Zuffa fight and only narrowly losing to Edson Barboza last time out. Castillo's always seemed to the outcast of Team Alpha Male.

Archived