UFC 172: Jones vs Teixeira

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there's been questions on how he'll rebound from his first real battle with Gustafsson, but I've got a feeling he's going to come back in style here. From bits I've read he seems quite annoyed that people are doubting him now. I think he'll be looking to make an example of Glover. Easier said than done, of course, but I think we'll see another impressive victory for Jones. I said decision before but I'm thinking a stoppage in the later rounds the more I think about it. Say, TKO around the 4th via elbows.

I think Glover is tailor-made for him to be honest. The fight will be nothing like his bout with Gustafsson, both guys are completely different fighters.

I see this fight going along the lines of the Rampage fight if I'm honest. Although I give Glover more of a punchers chance than I did Rampage.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Pretty much. He's got better grappling than Rampage as well when he uses it but I can't really see how he'll make that work for him on Jones.

I've never really bought into the Glover hype, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I think he's very good and I do like him. But people were declaring him the second coming at 205 and that Jones should be shitting his pants back when Glover's best wins were Sokoudjou and Kingsbury. He's shown brief glimpses of vulnerability against Maldonado and Bader since then and the hype has cooled somewhat.

I don't really see a logical reason to pick him over Jones. The best I can come up with is A) the punchers chance - which is not something to base prediction on, or B) if Jones' confidence is shaken by the Gustafasson fight - which it's no guarantee it will be. People are talking like Gus has left him a quivering wreck but there's not really much evidence to back that up. I thought the delays getting this fight signed might indicate doubts but it turned out it was that lingering foot injury which caused the delays.

I just think Glover's striking style is too wild. He leaves himself wide open. I'm pretty sure both Maldonado and Bader caught him with left hooks which wobbled him. So maybe he's susceptible to that. I think he'll struggle with Jones' reach. Struggle to find takedowns. We've never saw him in the championship rounds. He's never faced anyone even close to the calibre of Jones either. The best guy he's faced to date is probably Bader. Maybe Rampage, he was declining but game and still dangerous. So Bader or 2013 Rampage. However you slice it, Jones is a massive step up from those guys.

Not saying it's impossible but I don't really see how Glover pulls this off. I can see him getting picked apart at distance like Rashad and Rampage did. The old push kicks to the knees, side kicks and spin kicks to the ribs, jabs, elbows.

So yeah, I like Glover. I just don't think he's the man to beat Jones. Of course, I've been wrong many a time before though.

• Paid Members

one of the X-Factors here is how Glover reacts under scrutiny, he strikes me as the kind of the guy that can take it as well as dish it out so im interested to see how he reacts if Jones starts picking him off from range, it completely shuts some guys down and demoralises them, i get the feeling that won't happen with Glover for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Jones requested Glover take extra drug tests for this.

"I just thought I would have Glover tested because he's not the youngest fighter and everyone raves about how strong he is. " Jones told ESPN.com's Brent Okamoto. "Some fighters, you just know they're not on anything just by looking at them. Part of (Teixeira's) mystique is his amazing physical strength and I just questioned it. I have no reason to think he's on steroids but I do wonder how someone can be so strong."

"I called Dana White and said, 'Hey, I want Glover to take steroid tests for this fight,'" Jones said. "He asked me, "What, you think he's on steroids?' I told him I don't know and I have no reason to accuse him of anything but I would like to be sure."

Dana said this about it

"Jones requested it. And I called Teixeira. Teixeira said, 'They can come over to my gym right now and test me. Send them over.'"

Mind games. It's a good thing for the sport regardless.

• Paid Members

i know the UFC like to hype fights/cards, that's the name of the game but Dana White started his new video blog by claiming that UFC 172 is the most stacked card in UFC history...he's having a laugh isn't he?

• Paid Members
i know the UFC like to hype fights/cards, that's the name of the game but Dana White started his new video blog by claiming that UFC 172 is the most stacked card in UFC history...he's having a laugh isn't he?

Did he say THE most or one of the most?

It is an a pretty stacked card, and if that Saffedeine vs Ellenberger stood as the prelims headliner, I would have agreed with him that it may have been up there.

However, with the removal of that, I do think it falls just slightly short of a top top card top to bottom.

• Paid Members

Bobby Green is out, Yancy Medeiros replaces him against Jim Miller.

Watching a few hype pieces for this show, and Jones vs Glover in particular. You know what I'm really starting to loathe? The phrase "murderers' row". Got to be one of the most overused phrases in MMA right now that one. Both Rogan and Dana furiously bum it.

• Paid Members

It is an a pretty stacked card, and if that Saffedeine vs Ellenberger stood as the prelims headliner, I would have agreed with him that it may have been up there.

However, with the removal of that, I do think it falls just slightly short of a top top card top to bottom.

think he said the, come on? its not even close is it?

• Paid Members

think he said the, come on? its not even close is it?

I agree, it's not even close to be being near the top. If the fight I mentioned added, it may have been a potential top 10-15 cards though.

Jones, Texeira, Davis, Rumble, Ellenberger, Saffediene, Miller, Benavidez, Rockhold, Boetsch, Gomi, plus a top women's fight and Ellenberger Jr (or Senior, I'm not sure if he's older?)

The main problem with the card is that the co-main lacks that truly special feel.

The main problem with the card is that the co-main lacks that truly special feel.

Personally, I'm equally as excited (if not more) for the co-main as I am for the main. Seeing a guy like Rumble make his return in his true element. He always seemed like a real killer, but was plagued by these ridiculous weight cutting issues. I'd love to see him make a huge statement by sparking the Human Triangle.

Not the greatest card ever by a long shot, but it's probably the best yet for this year.

• Paid Members

Personally, I'm equally as excited (if not more) for the co-main as I am for the main. Seeing a guy like Rumble make his return in his true element. He always seemed like a real killer, but was plagued by these ridiculous weight cutting issues. I'd love to see him make a huge statement by sparking the Human Triangle.

Not the greatest card ever by a long shot, but it's probably the best yet for this year.

Personally, I'm excited to see Rumble too. However, irrespective of what myself or even you Shane feel, that's not a big co-main event. Phil Davis has bored me to tears for years (despite having the tools to be something truly special), and Rumble is a blown up middleweight in my opinion who hasn't fought in the UFC in a while. He's not really a big name, albeit he could be after Saturday night.

This fight at the moment in time should be no higher than 3rd from top of what a stacked card should look like.

• Paid Members
Yeah, that's a fair point, but it beats the shit out of DC vs. Pat Cummins. We've been that starved of quality cards lately, it makes ones like this look good- not enough to buy into Dana's hyperbole, but it is what it is.

Again agreed. As I mentioned I think this card would have been in top 15 PPVs if Ellenberger/Saffeideine remained and one more big co main was announced.

173 and 174 are looking very light so this card is stacked in comparison. Although, as you will be aware, the DC fight recently was supposed to be vs Rashad Evans. Now that for me is what this card is missing to make it truly stacked.

Archived