UFC 172: Jones vs Teixeira

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

ufc172_poster.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD

Jon Jones vs Glover Teixeira - UFC Light Heavyweight Title

Phil Davis vs Anthony Johnson

Luke Rockhold vs Tim Boetsch

Jim Miller vs Yancy Medeiros

Max Holloway vs Andre Fili

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Joseph Benavidez vs Tim Elliott

Takanori Gomi vs Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Jessamyn Duke vs Bethe Correia

Danny Castillo vs Charlie Brenneman

FIGHT PASS PRELIMS

Chris Beal vs Patrick Williams

OK, I mentioned this a few weeks back in the MMA news thread, but this is a much better card top to bottom than it's being given credit for, in my opinion. Almost every fight there holds some interest for me.

Jones vs Teixeira to me is a more interesting fight because of the timing more than anything. I remember when Glover came into the UFC heavily hyped and people were predicting him to be the future Jon Jones slayer. I didn't buy it then based on Glover being kind of unproven against top level opposition. Since then he's beat good fighters like Rampage (although admittedly he's seen better days) and Ryan Bader, among others. He still hasn't beat anyone you'd consider a nailed on top 205er but he's done well for himself and he's looked dangerous.

But for me, based on skills alone, I don't think he has much for Jones. Jones is bigger, younger, lankier, more well rounded, fights a more intelligent way, has more skills IMO. That's not discounting Glover or dismissing him, I just don't see how he beats Jones outside the 'punchers chance', which really is nothing to base a prediction on.

But...where this fight gets really interesting is like I said, the timing of it. Jones is coming off the toughest fight of his career to date by far.

532027754.jpg

Alexander Gustafsson took Jones through twenty five minutes of hell last September. To Jones' credit he showed a lot of heart in that fight. He rose to the challenge but in the weeks and even months after that fight there were reports that Jones was still banged up. Who knows how that will effect him mentally. Maybe it won't at all, maybe it will make him a better fighter, maybe it's rattled him or maybe everyone is reading way too much into it.

Glover is a very dangerous opponent. Trained with Chuck Liddell at The Pit for years under John Hackleman. His striking is a bit sloppy at times but he's a seriously heavy hitter. Add to that he's got top grappling skills as well, he beat Dean Lister in straight grappling years ago! He's a tough guy. If Jones comes in off point and a bit gun-shy, it's not beyond the realms of possibilty that Glover could pull this off. I wouldn't say that's the likely outcome though.

But as punchers chances go, Glover's punch is lethal. As John Hackleman explained on Joe Rogan's podcast recently;

"Usually with hard punchers, it hurts your shoulders when you're holding the mitts. But with him it doesn't even hit the shoulders because it feels like your hands...every time he hits it actually feels like the bones, there's twenty eight little bones in your hand. There's twenty eight little bones in there. And it feels like they're all separating every time he hits. It's not even pain, it just has such a weird feeling.

I just feel sorry for anyone that he hits and makes contact with that punch. It's a punch I've never felt before. It's the power...Chuck had a different power, Chuck's power was mainly that straight right and then he had the overhand, but it was timing. Chuck was about timing. Glover, I'm not saying he doesn't have the timing, but he doesn't need the timing. He has Tyson power, like one punch, go to sleep. It's scary."

Glover seems like a really likeable type of chap as well. In the past I've said he's kind of like a cross between JDS and Shogun in his demeanor. He's like a big kid, but he's a vicious fighter. In a way I'd love to see Glover pull this upset off. It would be awesome for him after a long road to the big stage, to finally get UFC gold. But if Jones wins this fight, we're getting Jones vs Gustafsson 2. And I really, really want to see that. That rematch, for me, is probably the most intriguing fight on the table in 2014. Especially now Pettis vs Aldo is on the backburner until 2015.

Co-main event, this fucker's back;

anthony_johnson_1851.jpg

Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson. For anyone new to the MMA threads, look at that picture, that bastard used to fight at welterweight. 170lbs. The same division the likes of BJ Penn and Nate Diaz have competed at in the past! Well he fought at 170 when he made weight anyway.

Since being cut by the UFC, he's got his head on right and stopped with the ludicrous weight cuts. He's been fighting at 205 since 2012, and even went up to heavyweight and beat Andrei Arlovski in WSOF! He's 6-0 since being sacked by the UFC, with four knockouts. He's still relatively young at 30, he's training with a bunch of animals at the Blackzilians. And he should be a tremendous addition to the UFC's light heavyweight division right now.

And he's coming straight into a big, relevant fight in the division. He's fighting 'Mr Wonderful' Phil Davis;

Phil-Davis.jpg

The Black He-Man. Mr Triangle. The Pink & Black Attack. Arsenio Hall's lovechild.

Whatever you call him, Davis is a top 205er. He was the first man to beat Gustafsson, he beat Little Nog, he beat Machida. Whether you agree with the decision against Machida or not (I did. I can see scoring it for Machida but it wasn't anywhere near as bad a decision as people made out), you have to concede that Davis did better than anyone expected that night. And go back to the UFC 163 thread, I completely wrote Davis off going in. I really thought he offered nothing to trouble the Piss Drinking Dragon. It was a close one though, and he did surprisingly well even in the striking. And on enemy soil, no less. He also deserves some of the credit for the huge strides Gustafsson has made in his wrestling since they became team mates. Credit where it's due.

Since the Machida fight, Davis has been left in the cold. Everyone at 205 had been paired up and Davis was left on his own like the sad bastard at the bar who's mates have all copped off. He should've got a big fight after Machida, but the UFC went all quiet on him. Even Machida, the guy he beat, is back in the title picture before Davis has even had another fight. Davis' mate Gustafsson is going for the belt again so that could be a problem as well. He's in a tricky spot in the division.

So this fight made as much sense as any I guess. Davis wants to get back in there, Johnson gets a top guy. The winner of this should get a big name really. I'm thinking the winner will probably get Cormier, which won't be an enviable prize.

Rockhold vs Boetsch will probably be decent, could be excellent, we'll see. Boetsch is hit and miss for me. Rockhold looked like a beast against Philippou last time out so if he's built on that, I'd fancy him to beat Boetsch as well. Not a fan of Rockhold though so I wouldn't mind seeing Boetsch give him a hiding.

Miller vs Green might well steal the show. Green is a really solid fighter in all areas. He's kind of under the radar really if you're not a fan who follows MMA closely, but he's an excellent fighter. I'm a Miller brothers guy though. Especially Jim Miller. He's a fucking little sawn off beast. Aggressive striking, granite tough, brilliant grappler, doesn't mind getting into a war if he has to. He's just great to watch.

He's coming off a fantastic first round armbar win over Fabricio Camoes who's a high level BJJ black belt. That went kind of overlooked and IMO should've got SOTN instead of Rousey's armbar over Tate. He's submitted Charles Oliveira by kneebar as well. Wrecked Joe Lauzon on the feet. He's fights like a starving pitbull. A Jim Miller fight is a fight worth tuning in for, and Bobby Green should match up with him perfectly to make a great fight. Probably my pick for FOTN.

Holloway vs Fili opens the PPV as far as the current bout order goes. That could change yet though. This has all the ingredients of a cracking PPV opener so I hope it remains so. I'm a fan of Holloway. I think he has serious potential. He's young but he fights like a guy beyond his years. Lethal Muay Thai, good use of combinations, he's active on the ground with a dangerous guard. Throws some spinning shit. Lanky for 145. His last fight he absolutely battered Will Chope despite Chope being the first opponent who had the height and reach on him. He's got all the tools. Andre Fili fights out of Team Alpha Male. 23 years old and, like Holloway, shows a lot of promise and upside. He TKO'd Jeremy Larsen in his UFC debut last October. I like this fight. Two guys I think have pretty bright futures in the sport. It's one of those fights where you could see them meeting again down the line for bigger stakes, kind of like Edgar and Maynard back when they first met in 2008.

Prelims are pretty loaded in their own right.

Ellenberger vs Saffiedine was going to headline the Singapore show in January. Here it headlines the prelims. That tells you how good this card is and also how weak the Singapore card was in a weird way. I like this fight though. Saffiedine deserves a big fight. He was the last ever Strikeforce welterweight champ, battered Marquardt, handily beat Lim in Singapore in a pretty great fight. It's good to see him getting a big fight that matters to the division. All that said, if Ellenberger comes in on form I think he wins this. If Saffiedine can fire off those brutal leg kicks early though, could effect Ellenberger's ability to wrestle effectively. Should be a cracker.

Benavidez vs Elliott should be fast paced and entertaining. Elliott sets a frantic pace but he was pretty inactive at times against Bagautinov, I don't think he'll be able to do that here. Benavidez will want to rebound from the KO loss to Mighty Mouse. He'll need to pull off some spectacular run of wins now, like his mentor Urijah Faber, to get within a sniff of another title shot now, having failed at both flyweight and bantamweight. Really a must win for Benavidez.

Pretty excited for Gomi vs Vallie-Flagg. Good to see Gomi finally back after a year out. He was building momentum with each fight as well before the dodgy loss to Diego Sanchez, so it's kind of a shame he had the layoff when he did as it's probably killed that momentum. Vallie-Flagg's a hard-nosed scrapper and I can see this being a rough fight for both guys. Hoping for a vintage Gomi KO though.

Duke vs Correia is a funny one. Duke is really tall for the weight, one of the tallest girls in the division. Maybe the tallest unless Peggy Morgan is still under contract. Correia is short and looks quite thick and powerful. Totally different frames. I thought Duke looked very good at the Finale against Morgan. Correia outpointed Julie Kedzie in her last outing. To be honest I thought Kedzie won that fight. But whatever, officially, Correia is undefeated. I can see her struggling with Duke's reach here. Especially with Duke's Thai clinch work. With the height difference, Correia might be tailor made for Duke to Thai clinch into oblivion.

The two Fight Pass fights are even pretty intriguing. Castillo vs Brenneman is a pretty strong fight for Fight Pass. A fight like that would make the FOX Sports 1 bit on a lot of cards. Also, Jake Ellenberger's brother Joe makes his UFC debut. 14-1 MMA record. Quite an inspirational story as well. He was diagnosed with a bone marrow disease a few years back which is apparently deadly for a lot of its sufferers. He was told his MMA career was over and that he was unlikely to see 30 years old. He's 28 now and still going strong. Really touching story. Cool that he's on the same card as his brother as well.

So yeah, I've touched on every fight there which I don't usually do. I think this is a really strong card. Maybe not the sort that will kill it on PPV but I think it's a really well matched bunch of fights with plenty to get excited about. Can't ask for much more as a fan.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realise just how strong this card was. I think it's because Anthony Johnson is coming straight back to a co-main, it made me think that the line up was light on star power, but a lot of the fights on the card could headline or be a co-main on a Fight Night event. I mean- Luke Rockhold, Jim Miller, Jake Ellenberger, Tarec Saffiedine, Joseph Benavidez, Takanori Gomi... that's a killer line up of elite fighters, several of whom are on the prelims.

UFC's hitting a strong point in terms of quality cards- right after I was bitching the other day about feeling disillusioned :p Having the year open up with a collection of sub-standard international cards maybe wasn't ideal, but we come out the other side to cards like this.

I think Jones gets past Glover, but I think it'll be one of his toughest fights yet. Bones can take a shot, and I think Glover will get on the inside with reckless abandon and blast with hooks, he won't be afraid to eat a few. Jones isn't exactly known for his one punch KO power. The closest opponent I think Jones has had to Glover would be Vitor Belfort, so I'd say the path to victory would be the same- put Glover on his back and work a sub. I don't think Glover has much of a bottom game (though I don't genuinely know).

I believe Davis will wrestle-fuck Rumble to a UD. Rumble has power and I think he could best the Triangle in a striking battle. I don't particularly like Davis, but he's got the skills to completely shut down a bomber like Rumble.

I can't be bothered touching on the rest right now, but I'll definitely be grabbing the popcorn for it!

• Paid Members

How on earth is Jake Ellenberger vs Tarec Saffiedine not on the main card ahead of Holloway or even Jim Miller? These two guys are potential champions at weltherweight and in my opinion Jim Miller is someone who is going nowhere in the LW division. I know they like putting a decent fight on the fox prelims to lead into the PPV, but that should be Jim Miller's slot.

Holloway's got an exciting style that would open up the PPV nicely, I think Ellenberger needs to build up some goodwill with the UFC brass after that horrible Rory Macdonald fight. And no one knows Tarec Saffiedine yet, arguably there could be more eyes on him headlining the prelims on FOX than actually being on PPV. And I kind of agree with you about Jim Miller, he's a very good fighter but seems to hit that glass ceiling against the elite, but he's still a top ten guy in the LW division. I get the feeling they want to "push" Bobby Green, for lack of a better term, he's been pretty impressive since joining the UFC.

• Paid Members
Holloway's got an exciting style that would open up the PPV nicely, I think Ellenberger needs to build up some goodwill with the UFC brass after that horrible Rory Macdonald fight. And no one knows Tarec Saffiedine yet, arguably there could be more eyes on him headlining the prelims on FOX than actually being on PPV. And I kind of agree with you about Jim Miller, he's a very good fighter but seems to hit that glass ceiling against the elite, but he's still a top ten guy in the LW division. I get the feeling they want to "push" Bobby Green, for lack of a better term, he's been pretty impressive since joining the UFC.

As you say, if they want eyeballs on Bobby Green, the top of broadcasted prelims is the one.

Ellenberger vs Saffiedine is similar to the level Lombard/Shields is in the division and should be 3 from top of the main card. Remember, even though it was in China, Saffiedine recently headlined a card over there. He turned Lim's leads into mulsh.

Without question this is main card fight.

• Paid Members
The closest opponent I think Jones has had to Glover would be Vitor Belfort, so I'd say the path to victory would be the same- put Glover on his back and work a sub. I don't think Glover has much of a bottom game (though I don't genuinely know).

I think Glover will be very hard to catch a submission on with his grappling background. Then again his grappling background is just that, straight grappling. When you add in strikes it's a different ball game and Jones is really, really, really good at that. The Belfort fight is a good example of that. He got Vitor in a mounted crucifix (I think) and started murdering him with elbows, then suddenly grabbed an Americana out of nowhere. Vitor's a Carlos Gracie BJJ black-belt. That was huge. I don't think Jones got enough credit for that finish or the skill he pulled it off with. Vitor didn't see it coming because he was too busy eating elbows. Jones is master at putting it all together like that.

Saying that I've gone with a Jones decision in the poll. I think Glover will do enough to stay out of the submissions, and avoid the TKO. But I think he'll probably take quite a long, drawn out beating. Might give Jones the odd scare on the feet early but I see a pretty one sided points win for Jones.

So yeah, Jones by decision, Davis by submission (not sure with this at all though) and Miller by decision in the polls for me.

Duke vs Correia is a funny one. Duke is really tall for the weight, one of the tallest girls in the division. Maybe the tallest unless Peggy Morgan is still under contract. Correia is short and looks quite thick and powerful. Totally different frames. I thought Duke looked very good at the Finale against Morgan. Correia outpointed Julie Kedzie in her last outing. To be honest I thought Kedzie won that fight. But whatever, officially, Correia is undefeated. I can see her struggling with Duke's reach here. Especially with Duke's Thai clinch work. With the height difference, Correia might be tailor made for Duke to Thai clinch into oblivion.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Morgan was released and has now signed with Invicta. I've only seen the Morgan fight and didn't see any of the TUF season she was in, but based purely off that fight think Duke shows a world of potential.

• Paid Members

surely that PPV opener isn't right? I know the UFC like to have a 'prelims headliner' so to speak, but Saffidience/Ellenberger & Benavidez/Elliott should have that opening slot over Holloway/Fili. Regardless we get to see em all so fuck it :)

• Paid Members

They might reshuffle the bout order yet. I'm just going off the way MMAJunkie has it listed currently. If they switch it up I'll edit that first post.

I agree Ellenberger vs Saffiedine definitely warrants a spot on the PPV. But they seem to be doing this more now. 171 opened with OSP vs Krylov, for example. I think most would've said going in that Gastelum vs Story was more PPV worthy. I think they just like having a real quality fight as the 'main event' of the prelims. I mean, when you look at the four free fights they aired on FOX Sports 1 Saturday night, it was like a little Fight Night in itself. And Gastelum vs Story was the right choice to 'headline' that. So in that sense, Ellenberger vs Saffiedine is in a logical spot on the card, if it stays as it is. Theoretically Ellenberger vs Saffiedine will reach more people this way as well. So there are pros and cons.

How on earth is Jake Ellenberger vs Tarec Saffiedine not on the main card ahead of Holloway or even Jim Miller? These two guys are potential champions at weltherweight and in my opinion Jim Miller is someone who is going nowhere in the LW division. I know they like putting a decent fight on the fox prelims to lead into the PPV, but that should be Jim Miller's slot.

From what I hear, Andre Fili is meant to be a cannot miss prospect. I agree he should not be billed ahead of Jake Ellenberger vs Tarec Saffiedine, but some do expect him to achieve big things.

• Paid Members

Yeah, like I said in the OP, Holloway vs Fili is a fight to keep an eye on. Fili is coming out of Team Alpha Male and sounds like one to watch. And Holloway is just great to watch I think. This could be the sleeper on the whole card.

Are we overlooking Rumble's chances? Poll is currently 12-1 in favour of Davis. I think Davis is rightly the favourite, both in terms of how they match up style-wise and in the level of recent opposition, but is it as cut and dry as we've made it seem in the poll?

Rumble's got that KO power and while he's been outgrappled before, maybe he's better equipped to deal with it now he's not coming in so drained from silly weight cutting. He's got a wrestling background himself as well, nothing on the level of Davis' but it's not like he's Kimbo Slice or something.

My head says Davis wins in the end. I think his wrestling is too good, he's underrated as far as avoiding taking big strikes goes and he has a very solid submission game. Providing he gets through the early part of the fight OK, I see him wearing Rumble out with his grappling and maybe catching a choke late in the fight. Rumble's shown vulnerability to chokes when he's faded in the past, like against Belfort and Koscheck. And Davis has good chokes, especially the Anaconda.

Just never know with a guy like Rumble though. Now he's in a more suited weight class I think he'll be more energetic, explosive and less likely to fade.

Davis is the more proven fighter at 205lbs, he did get lucky against Machida (I thought he lost), but he proved he can be competitive with top level talent. Johnson is yet to prove this. He has beaten some reasonable names lately in Mike Kyle and Jake Rosholt, but they are hardly the cream of 205lbs.

If Rumble keeps it standing, he can win. He has the power to trouble anyone he gets in the cage with. But despite showing wrestling ability in the past, I cannot see him having much joy in overwhelming Davis.

I will go with Davis on points, but he might have the odd hairy moment.

I got Jones by TKO due to GnP. I think he can/will keep Glover at arms length, and score the takedowns he needs. I think it will be a measured and dominant beat down.

• Paid Members

Jon Jones six weeks out from 172

49bdeebcb14811e384190eb0ff8c5c10_8.jpg

"It's an upper body business" - Rick Rude.

Seriously, look at them chicken legs. He looks in great shape though. I know there's been questions on how he'll rebound from his first real battle with Gustafsson, but I've got a feeling he's going to come back in style here. From bits I've read he seems quite annoyed that people are doubting him now. I think he'll be looking to make an example of Glover. Easier said than done, of course, but I think we'll see another impressive victory for Jones. I said decision before but I'm thinking a stoppage in the later rounds the more I think about it. Say, TKO around the 4th via elbows.

i picked Davis by decision but i'll be rooting for Rumble, that guys been tearing it up outside of the UFC and if anyone moves on into the title picture i want it to be him.

Agreed, I have always had a soft spot for Rumble. Rarely in a boring fight (other than the Hardy fight).

I think Jones is going to Klitschko Glover. Keep him at range, and not allow him to get anything going striking wise. I think he will eventually get a takedown in the 3rd or 4th rounds and maybe stop Glover with some GnP.

It is still a fight I am looking forward to though, as there is an air of vulnerability in the air with Jones at the moment.

Archived