Best Intercontinental champion

The Truth

I could've sworn I'd seen Honky say it in a shoot interview. The office told him he was dropping the title to Warrior, so he wanted to do it in petulant fashion. It was absolutely perfect either way. Far better than the awkward "oh" when Regal did it to Santino.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
It was absolutely perfect either way. Far better than the awkward "oh" when Regal did it to Santino.

The assumption that anyone would be dying to see light comic relief Santino unseated after doing his comedy angle for 11 weeks, and "Regal in England" would guarantee a big pop was just failure all round, really. I was especially gutted that he lost the night he introduced the rebranded HonkaPerfectMountieMeter, that was a good giggle for me. Cracking WrestleCrap.

I'd vote for Mr Perfect, the title really suited him and his level in WWE at the time, he represented what the title was about better than anyone in my opinion. The same could be said for Shawn Michaels I suppose but when I think of the Intercontinental Title I automatically think Mr Perfect before Shawn Michaels. I think Shawn's incredible run with the WWE Championship and his matches during the mid to late 90's and his more recent stuff prior to his retirement slightly over-shadow his time during the early 90's with the Intercontinental Title, with that said he did have some cracking matches during that period. His match against Savage which I think took place in 91 maybe 92 in England was brilliant.

Annoys me how shit the Intercontinental Title has become. When I first started watching it was almost on a par with the World Title when Warrior, Bret, Perfect etc were battling over it.

It was great for boosting Austin, Rock and HHH to the main event and then you had guys like Jericho, Angle and Benoit having great matches.

Then it started getting passed around to Road Dogg, Rikishi and The Godfather and it's never really recovered.

• Paid Members

Austin threw it in the river. Must not have done to much for him if they felt the need for him to literally throw it away. The belt really means fuck all. Look at the names you just listed. The man makes the belt. Not the other way around. When its on someone good, its a good belt. When its on someone shit, its a shit belt.

• Paid Members

It's Razor for me as well. That whole period when the belt was on and off him and on people like Michaels, Jannetty, Diesel, Jarrett and so on was a great period for the belt but Razor was pivotal to the belt during those times. Probably my favourite wrestling period, that time, and probably the reason why Razor's my all time favourite.

The problem with the IC belt today seems lie with creative. They just whore it out to just about anyone and don't even bother to do anything with those people once they have it. Thinking about it that's the problem with wwe in general. They only seem to care about the world title picture with the odd exception (undertaker's streak for example). They do focus on talent they think will be the next big thing like Roman Reigns but what I find is that focus tends to eventually fade away (for example Ryback). I remember back when pretty much every match on a PPV card meant something regardless of whether there was a title involved or not. This was probably because the feuds had logical history which is hard to do these days as wwe seem to change their minds on a monthly basis and want to ignore what they did before.

Archived