Best Intercontinental champion

The Truth

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
I actually enjoyed Cody Rhodes, recentish run with the belt, Changing it back to the old school and making it to be a belt to be revered again.

Did I read that Cody paid for the belt to be retooled out of his own pocket?

It's Warrior for me. Won it in style, handed it back undefeated.

I started watching in the late 90s and more frequently in the early 2000s. My favourite wrestler is Chris Jericho, and he holds the record for most title reigns, so you'd think I'd pick him as the best IC champion, but his best work wasn't while he had the gold, so I don't know.

His 2009 series with Mysterio was over the Intercontinental gold though, and that was pretty great- fuck it, Jericho it is.

Honourable mentions to Randy Orton for his 2004 run and Jeff Hardy in 2006/2007. Both those guys were able to achieve real superstar status shortly after their IC title reigns.

I actually enjoyed Cody Rhodes, recentish run with the belt, Changing it back to the old school and making it to be a belt to be revered again.

Did I read that Cody paid for the belt to be retooled out of his own pocket?

I think he did, but got some of the dosh back

Indeed here's an interview saying exactly that

Razor Ramon for me. The IC belt at that time was like how Batista would have one belt and Cena would have the other. You could argue Razor was more popular than Diesel in 95. He just looked like a world champion when he held it. The feuds he had with Shawn Michaels were like they were feuding over the world title as well. And that ladder match from WMX is arguably the most mind blowing match ever. There have been better matches since, fair enough (SummerSlam 95 was probably a better match), but when I first saw that it was like a match from another planet. They did things which no average WWF fan had ever seen before. Also when it wasnt held by Shawn or Razor there seemed an obvious dip in credibility and quality when it wasn't on them. When I think of the IC title I think of Razor in the green tights with the gold hanging from his neck.

I have to agree with every word that is written here. I suspect Ian and I are of roughly the same generation and would share a lot of memories. My parents got Sky in towards the end of 1993 just as Razor's reign was getting going. In fact the match with Rick Martel where he won the title may have even been on the first episode of WWF Mania I ever saw. To this day I think of Razor's reign lasting from 1993 through to early 1996 with little blips where Diesel, Jarrett, Michaels, Shane Douglas and Goldust had the belt. If I think about it, he was probably without the title for longer than he actually held it duting that period but to me Razor's IC run is the definitive article.

These are the five people I think of...

Mr Perfect (was born to be IC champ, and is the image I see when I think of the strap)

Honky Tonk Man (incredible reign, and kinda cool how he passed the torch to Warrior in the way he did, very professional)

Macho Man (look at those promos, he made the IC 'HEAVYWEIGHT' belt mean so much and gave it so mmuch credibility)

Hart & Michaels both had similar memorable reigns prior to their elevation to main event status)

• Paid Members
Give the man credit for doing the job to warrior in about a minute at Summerslam 88

(incredible reign, and kinda cool how he passed the torch to Warrior in the way he did, very professional)

It's probably worth remembering at this point that Honky flat out refused to drop the title by clean pinfall to Randy Savage on The Main Event, out of the man's own mouth.

• Paid Members
Wasn't it Honky's idea to do the match that way as a fuck-you to everyone, rather than working a proper match?

I've long interpreted in that manner even though I've not read anything to that effect. Somewhat ironic if it is the case, because seeing his year-long reign end with such a decisive splattering was exactly what everyone wanted, and it made Warrior look strong. Seeing the Ultimate Warrior sit in a chinlock for ten minutes after coming out as the big surprise opponent to shock Honky would have been crap.

Archived