Best WCW PPVs

fugaziuk

Souled Out 99

98 shirley?? - 98's Ace!

Although in fairness, Souled Out '99 is still infinitely better than the absolute garbage they were churning out for every show in the latter half of that year.

The best WCW PPV is Great American Bash '89 - if it was WCW by that point.

After that, there's a whole load of greatness including the following years GAB, Superbrawl II, Beach Blast 92, Slamboree 94, Spring Stampede 94 and '99, and the previously mentioned Souled Out 98. I'm a big fan of Capitol Combat too, but I think i might be the only one.

In the final year, I love Fall Brawl 2000 too. Far better than it had any right to be. Probably doesn't belong in with the others mentioned, but it just stood out so much in amongst a sea of turd in that era that it deserves a mention anyway.

If you're just looking for recommendations, without being all time great events, you'd probably enjoy pretty much any PPV from mid 96 (GAB) for the next 2 years. They really found the right formula with all the variety on offer, it pretty much always translated into fun shows.

• Paid Members
If you're looking for PPVs that have just got lots of good matches on, I'd personally entertain SuperBrawl II (Pillman/Liger, Rhodes & Windham/Austin & Zbyszko, Steiners/Anderson & Eaton, Steamboat/Rude), Beach Blast '92 (Sting/Cactus, Vader debut, Rude/Steamboat Iron Man) or Spring Stampede '94 as mentioned.

If you want one that simply has the best/most heated single match on it, I'd pick between SuperBrawl I (Sting/Luger v Steiners) or Wrestle War '92 (for the best War Games of all time).

• Paid Members
In the final year, I love Fall Brawl 2000 too. Far better than it had any right to be. Probably doesn't belong in with the others mentioned, but it just stood out so much in amongst a sea of turd in that era that it deserves a mention anyway.

Reznor knows the score.

As others have said, 2000 WCW was a car crash but at times a highly entertaining one. This show had a brilliant Steiner / Goldberg match that has been raved about on the forum multiple times but it also has a short but mental scaffold match, a decent World Title match which features a quality Nash performance that the big guy never gets praised for, a gloriously mad heel turn from Hacksaw and your usual fun cruiserweight matches.

It's easy to overlook but give it a go.

Superbrawl 2000: The clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks, featuring a cameo from James Brown, Tank Abbott and Big Al in a nonsensical brawl with an attempted stabbing(!), Ric Flair and Terry Funk killing eachother to the apathy of everyone, Hulk and Lex Luger in a shitfest and a 3 way World Title match booked into a hole before the match had even started and a lot more.

Bloody fantastic.

Man I havent watched superbrawl in years. I used to once a year go from Uncensored 99- the end on PPVs just to watch the change.

Spring Stampede 99 is a quality wrestling show through and through. Earlier wise im quite a fan of GAB 90, Superbrawl 91 and 92. Quite like around that time they had not gone full formula in terms of the ring they used and the sets so you always get a funky mix. Oh I always enjoyed Capital Carnage as well for some reason

Back in 1999 most of it post Stampede is quite difficult to watch through with lots of Van hammer and the like filling the undercard. I think if they had not been overbooked at times some of the 2000 russo PPV's could be quality some favourites of mine are

Spring Stampede 00 - Theres like 16 matches on this show which shows you almost the enitre roster but also means things are kept short and sweet so its great viewing if you have a low attention span at that moment because things change so quickly on the event

Slamboree 00 - The undercard is not exactly exciting however the main event for the triple cage is still a spectacle for a lot of wrong reasons

GAB 00 - This was the definition for me of russo overbooking and changing shit and honestly just has to be watched so show you how bad it could get at that time. I dont think a PPV shows it off as well, although many nitros would probably give you more insight

Agree with loads of choices here to off start with (Spring Stampede 94/99, Wrestle War 91/92, Beach Blast 92, Starcade 92/93, Superbrawl I/II) and I'll add Great American Bash 89 (Terry Funk vs Flair / War Games) & 92 (lots of great tag team action), as well as Starcade 1990 (only because of some of the most mental style clashes and oddities in the tag tournament) and Superbrawl III (a mental Orndorf/Jack magtchh, a brutal Vader/Sting match and a slightly disappointing Benoit/scorpio match which is still fun). More generally I'd watch '89, '92 and late '93/early '94 in order although might be better if they had the TV and especially the clash of champions on there.

I can't be bothered with messing around ordering the network until it launches here but hope they allow access to TV and clash of champions for certain time periods (e.g. have the whole of 1989 available at one time).

• Paid Members

Got to be something from 1990-1993 for me. I very rarely revisit old wrestling matches/shows these days, but when I do it's usually something from early 90s WCW, or late 80s WWF.

I'll throw some love out for Starrcade 90. Despite the Black Scorpion silliness, what a fun show. JR and Paul E were good on commentary, there was the Luger vs Hansen match, the tremendous Doom vs Horsemen street fight, plus the international tag tournament with the Steiners kicking everyone's arse.

Wrestlewar 92 is brilliance as said. War Games goes without saying but the Steiners match is brutal and Pillman vs Z Man is good stuff as well.

Superbrawl 2 is a favourite for the reasons in air_raid's post.

Great American Bash 92 is quality also. I'm a big fan of the Vader vs Sting series. And the tag tournament was excellent with Rhodes and Windham in particular turning in a hell of a shift with three very good matches against Rude & Austin, Hashimoto & Hase and Dr Death and Terry Gordy in the finals.

Archived