Wrestling Hotlines

AshC

• Moderators
I learned maths by working out exactly how long you called WrestleCall before it would show up on the itemised bill.

I also remember calling from a phonebox to find out who had won the Flair-Hogan Bash at the Beach match. I only got a minute's worth of call for my 50p, but apparently you could see my face drop. My mood soon changed from sadness to disappointment when I realised that Flair must have taken a dive, possibly in return for a bribe.

Was Wrestlecall the one the one that used to advertise on Sky dubbed over a Tom Zenk green screen promo?

Remember I got an old book about the history of Wrestlemania about 15 years ago,and it had lots of pictures of invites and letters from the WWF to various people.One day I noticed the number to WWF HQ on one of the letters,so 11 year old me being a fucking idiot back then,would ring up every few days,and when the automated switchboard asked you to say the name of the employee you're calling for I'd ask for X-Pac,The Rock or Stone Cold etc.Could never get put through to their extensions funnily enough.I got put through to Vince McMahon's secretary once but bottled it and hung up when she answered.

We got a phone bill for 200 odd quid a month or two later,my dad kicked the shit out of me,and we ended up getting one of those coin operated phones installed,which put an end to my expensive pestering of WWF employees.

Add me to the late 90's Power Slam hotline club.

My highlight is hearing something so surprising I reacted by calling again minutes later.

Fin must have felt it in his wallet since the internet became widely used.

• Paid Members
What was the number? I swear I have 0891 299 888 etched in my brain but a quick google for that number brings up nothing.

It was definitely that.

I remember ringing up to get the Final Four results because it was in that period where the TV was another week behind because Sky were editing everything to fuckery, and I didn't want to wait until Friday Feb 28th for the Feb 17th Raw to air to find out if my hero had won the belt. He had. I immediately cut a pic of Hitman out of one of the magazines, glued it to a piece of A4 paper and scribbled in felt tip some nonsense about what a great achievement it was to win the belt a 4th time, and the potential challengers his glorious reign might feature. Dead excited, I was.

Then I watched the special from Berlin on Wednesday 26th, and the graphics for the night's matches showed Sid with the belt, and I started softly weeping.

Sorry to tangent but that reminds of the time as a kid I started calling 192 trying to get wrestlers home numbers (once I found out real names.) I got through to the Hart mansion once and spoke briefly to a bewildered Stu Hart before Helen Hart took the phone and informed me that it was the early hours in Canada.

Surprisingly, it seems that data security is a bit loose in North America. After reading this thread, I realised that you can go onto whitepages, use information from wikipedia and find wrestlers addresses or numbers pretty quickly! I would have thought that they would have worked to protect famous people? It reminds me of the time that Jose Mourinho inadvertently put himself in the phonebook!

The only time I remember calling was during the 1994 Royal Rumble to find out who the next entrants would be. My Dad wasn't too happy when the bill arrived.

I was intrigued the few times they did this as to what format this took. Can you remember if it was the whole list, or just Todd Pettingill shouting "it's fucking Kwang lads!" and hanging up?

Archived