Tag Teams who don't get enough love

tiger_rick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be a given that the Heavenly Bodies and Quebecers were amazing, I don't know about saying they don't get enough love though - I thought both of them were pretty well thought of. Any excuse to talk about them will do though :D

I always loved what I saw of PG-13. Always kinda saddened me that they never had a decent run anywhere that mattered. About 95% of their stuff that's out there is from that absurd, tiny and extremely stupid-looking-to-the-point-of-ruining-any possible-enjoyment USWA studio with a dozen folk watching on, no ring apron and a 1 ft drop from mat to floor.

They had about a month in each of the 3 main feds, but still made enough of an impression on me to like the hell out of them. I guess they must've been hyped in Powerslam in the 90s or something as I knew far more about them back then in the pre-Internet days than I would have just from their two WWF runs.

JC Ice was a good laugh in the few matches I saw of him in ECW singles action too with his southern gobshite schtick. He always had that gigolo-like sleazy fucker vibe going on too, like if someone told you they weren't on some registers, you'd be having none of it. I think he was just being himself though.

As bad as early 2000 WCW was though, they did have the potential for a cracking tag division with PG-13, along with other short lived yet class teams like the (eh...'packaged') version of Los Fabulosos, the Screamin Demons, along with 3 Count who were a great laugh, even if everyone does seem to hate Shannon.

I always had a soft spot for Doom too, as they were the first tag team I ever saw in WCW and they seemed pretty intimidating and badass. And they sounded like the Legion of Doom, which was probably as important as anything in those days. It was much the same story with the State Patrol. They used to be all over the Power Hour when it was on BSB, and I still quite like watching them on the streaming sites today.

Oh, and I have a confession to make; I..... was a fan of the Dynamic Dudes.

Sorry. :blush:

The Cole twins flattop-mullets don't get enough love either

Thinking of all these, a thread dedicated to WCW tag teams could be great actually!

• Moderators

Yeah, PG-13 where absolute classics. It certainly is a shame the never got a proper run. Just as much as it's a shame that the return of Vinnie Ru put an end to the short push of Los Fabs. They were tremendous fun!

• Paid Members
What match against the Bulldogs at the Rumble? Do you mean the Bushwhackers?

I'm guessing he means against the Bulldogs at SummerSlam '88.

Yeah, PG-13 where absolute classics. It certainly is a shame the never got a proper run. Just as much as it's a shame that the return of Vinnie Ru put an end to the short push of Los Fabs. They were tremendous fun!

Aye, Los Fabs should really have been teamed up and given that sort of latino heartthrob gimmick about 3 years earlier to distinguish them instead of basically being brought in as non-entities to catch Rey Jr & pals. and make weird c-show matches.

Thinking about it a bit more, possibly the ideal fit for a thread like this is the Nasty Boys. History seems to be a bit harsh on them. It's like there's a perception they only went far because they were in Hogans group, but they were well decent brawling heels - charismatic and memorable as a couple of loudmouthed, obnoxious punks.

They were never going to cut it as faces in the mid 90s, but they gave it a good try and weren't totally horrible in the role despite having no hope of carrying that division.

Can't remember if they've been mentioned but Pretty Wonderful were good value too. Paul Roma gets it rough these days for his WCW run, whether it's because of the horseman or Alex Wright thing, but any time I watch his matches, he's always pretty decent, whether with Anderson or as a cocky heel with Orndorff.

Have you went off Buck/Slater and the Lightning Express these days? They're conspicuous by their absence in here!

• Moderators
Have you went off Buck/Slater and the Lightning Express these days? They're conspicuous by their absence in here!

Nah, not at all. It's just that I've seen so much wrestling over the past years that I've forgotten what I like unless someone reminds me. Every new thing pushes a Bunkhouse Buck out of my memory. Wrestling senility. :(

I really do love that Buck/Slater vs Lightning Express match off Prime in 95. Love the way that headlock is worked and Buck's awesome punches.

The New Jersey Triad for me, their whole Freebird rule gimmick made their matches fun to watch, especially when they'd swap people mid match.

Between Page and Kanyon having great charisma on the mic and Bigelow being able to move and fly more than a guy his size had the right to, they had great feuds with the Revolution and Harlem Heat in the late 90s.

• Paid Members

PG-13 got a match on Raw in 1995. Sure I saw them grapple with the Smoking Gunns on there. It was a bloody great match.

New Foundation were incredibly over. Don't recall them doing anything significant apart from that Royal Rumble 1992 match though.

Add me to the list who love The Powers of Pain and The Rougeaus.

I just loved the POP's nasty streak. it was glorious. It was weird seeing the famous Tag Team Survivor Series Match, with them as faces, some years later as I never knew they'd even been face at that point. I'd always assumed they were career heels

I liked the look, they both were pretty decent for what they needed to do. I wouldn't mind seeing them over here on one of these nostalgia tours/ or just some one importing them. From what I've seen they are both still in relatively good shape and wrestle fairly frequently, certainly would be intrigued to watch them at least once.

The Rougeau's were cracking, from the silly promo's with Jimmy Hart to the little American Flag waving thing, which for some reason reminds me of Wile E Coyote when he's about to get pasted. The theme, the jackets, the wrestling which was very good. Awesome stuff.

I liked Paul London & Billy Kidman Combo from 2004 dunno why must of been the matching outfits and Rockers-esq theme that did it for me

Matching outfits or atleast colours is a must for tag teams, even the worst tag team will look better looking the same,

It still annoys me that Cody wears dark green gear instead of Black & Gold to match Goldust a minor thing but still

• Paid Members

MNM. I loved MNM and wish they'd come back.

It's only when I was watching the 4 way ladder match between MNM, Hardys, Regal & Taylor and London & Kendrick, that I realised I had forgotten how much I used to dig them back in the day.

I love that entrance! And maybe I have a dose of the gay, but I was more interested in Nitro's abs when flashing them while on the turnbuckles, than I was in Melina and her camel gums.

the Headshrinkers for me were a great team, rough and tough. I love their matches against jobbers, the one were I believe Fatu knocked the guy out with a kick and had to drag him to the corner to make a tag, not sure if it was legit but the jobber sold it very well if it wasn't.

I wasn't a fan of anything else they really did but I loved the Beverly Brothers finisher the Flapjack, driving head into matt thing they would do. Very risky move espessially for the time they were around.

The Skyscrapers - when Sid Vicious and Danny Spivey came out it was the highlight of my early morning week day should be asleep school is tomorrow viewing. A short lived but amazing tag team, both in look, intensity and brutality. Loved them splitting the purse at Great American Bash 1889 when they were the last two left in the King of the Hill Battle Royal. Teddy was the perfect manager, being the antithesis of the two man mountains he was guiding. I wasn't so keen once Sid was injured and they brought in that Mean Mark fellow, and even less when it was Mark and Enos. Sid and Spivey did get back together, before Sid went off to become one of the Horsemen. My love affair with Sid continued for many years, but I still remember his days as a Skyscraper most fondly.

Technically a stable, but I used to love the X-Factor team, they were something different.

If i'm saying under appreciated tag teams though then that'd easily goto La Resistance of Rene Dupree and Sylvain Grenier, who were very good in their heel anti american roles. Not only that, but both of them were good wrestlers, and Dupree used to be a favourite of mine!

Then when Rene used to host a Cafe De Rene segment with his poodle Fifi, and Grenier started some fashion catwalk model gimmick..I think we could all read between the lines as being a last hopeful push before their release.

Archived