Tag Teams who don't get enough love

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
The Heavenly Bodies were absolutely amazing and if anyone (Rick) says otherwise then he's dead wrong. A fantastic tag team and Jimmy Del Ray had the best look for someone called The Gigolo poosible. Greasy and sleazy.

My only gripe was boring Dr Tom. Del Ray really WAS that tag team, wasn't he?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Much like Bollocks, i'm a sucker for an odd couple. In the dying days of ECW I really, really liked Mikey Whipreck and Yoshihiro Tajiri together. I haven't really seen any of their stuff since and they may well have simply been movez, movez, movez to be honest but at the time I thought they just really worked well and totally complimented each other, being led my the Sinister Minister completed it nicely in bringing these nutters together. Despite being a supposed odd couple they still managed to look like a team and they had some really, really swanky double team offence.

They feuded with the FBI, was never crazy about the ECW version but absolutely loved WWEs version with Nunzio and Stamboli. They should have got a better run, they became a part of the awesome Velocity crew having bangers every week playing the hot tag to Stamboli beautifully. Great big man powerhouse + little man team. In some eras they'd have been tag champs ten times over.

I also liked the very short lived team of Jeff Hardy and Bubba Dudley in 2002 I think? Didn't last long but was played up like it could become a permanent pairing, they worked great together and another thing i'm a sucker for is two guys from two established teams coming together. Made for an interesting dynamic with it being a Dudley and a Hardy together.

And God yes Barbarian and Haku!

Another short-lived duo that worked at the time were the pairing of Tazz and Spike Dudley. Beat the Dudleyz for the tag titles, successfully defended against Storm/Christian and Test/Albert in an underdog-type role before dropping the belts to the aforementioned greatness of Billy & Chuck.

Don't think they've been mentioned but I also enjoyed the Two-Man Power Trip of 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin & Triple H at their vicious peak. Some decent battles with Kane/Taker, Jericho/Benoit, and batterings of everyone else.

• Paid Members

Didn't actually mind La Resistance, though everyone seemed to hate them at the time. Though they were very green when first brought in, I thought they were a decent midcard heel team.

Rene Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki had more potential as a team than either had in singles.

• Paid Members

Way back in the 90s I really enjoyed watching the Quebecers but more recently Cryme Time were fun really livening up the whole tag division when it was pretty lacklustre. Yo yo yo!

• Paid Members

The Quebecers. Brilliant pair of dickheads with annoyingly catchy/catchily annoying music and a decent heat machine manager. Smashing matches with almost everyone. Entertaining/brutal squashes, brilliant shitty stealing of the belts (Province de Quebec rules) from The Steiners, made me more interested in a Men On a Mission match than I ever had the right to be and even contested an enjoyable match with The Bushwhackers on the post-WMX Raw. They were such twats that you wanted to see get lamped that they turned The Headshrinkers face, and pretty effectively. Forget the 1998 revisit, in their first run they were brilliant fun to watch, even though they were barely on TV a year. The brightest candles burn out quickest.

• Paid Members

The Quebecers taking advantage of jobbers was great to see. I used to like the Allied Powers. What a great idea for a team. "Two muscular wrestlers you say? With a remix of both or their themes? Wearing ring jackets and respect flags?" Mind blowing for me at the time. Anytime you dressed two wrestlers up in similar outfits, life was going well.

Mr Perfect and the Big Boss Man had potential I thought. I saw how well they worked as a team on WrestleFest. The pounds I spent per week at the bowling ally proved they were literally money. So when I saw them in 2002 finally hook up, I imagined they were going to take the WWF by storm. They could have even put the Boss Man in his blue shirt again. There wasn't much going on in the tag ranks at the time.

The Heavenly Bodies were absolutely amazing and if anyone (Rick) says otherwise then he's dead wrong. A fantastic tag team and Jimmy Del Ray had the best look for someone called The Gigolo poosible. Greasy and sleazy.

Yes! in full agreement here. The Heavenly Bodies were superb.

I am also a big fan of The Southern Boys/Young Pistols from 1990-1991 WCW. They had many fun matches during this period including one I rank amongst my favourite ever with The Midnight Express at Great American Bash '90.

• Paid Members

Rhino and Tajiri! It was about Autumn 2004 I believe. I don't even really have any constructive reasoning besides the fact that I love Rhyno and I love Tajiri and they seemed like a really good combination. I remember them getting a title shot on PPV against La Resistance or someone and then just fading away.

Boss Man/Akeem with Slick, the pimptastic jive soul bro, were ace for a while..

As big a demolition fan as I was, I'd have loved the Powers of Pain to have had a short run with the belts.

Then some cunt give Barbarian antlers and the Warlord a phantom of the opera mask :(

I was coming in here to say the Pitbulls (Kash/Noble), but some other great person also recognises their awesomeness.

Then it dawned on me- the mid-2000s tag scene really doesn't get enough love. Yeah, things died down once Dudleys/Hardys/E&C finished, but that doesn't mean there weren't some quality teams floating around. London and Kendrick were great high-flyers, they lacked the charisma the Hardys had, but bell-to-bell, they were exciting as hell. I was watching the Armageddon ladder match last night, and I'd put it close to some of the TLC matches back in the day (admittedly, much of that has to do with Joey Mercury's face exploding, what a sick move/visual). On that note, MNM are really underappreciated, Miz and Morrison get some love but their predecessors were strong as well. Unique entrance, actual characters, and Melina doing the splits.

On the opposite end of the scale, Cade and Murdoch. Good old country boys ready to give anyone a clubbering.

A little later on, I feel like Carlito's team with Primo was the most inspired work he had done in years.

I'd also like to go on record and say Kash/Noble was a good tag team. 2 tough little bastards that could go and seemingly enjoyed a good fight. I also enjoyed the William Regal Lance Storm team on Raw. They didnt set the world on fire but they put on good matches.

Around '97/98 I liked the Headbangers. I havnt gone back and rewatched much of their stuff so I dunno if it holds up but 12 year old me thought they were good. Also the D'Lo Mark Henry tag team never really got a proper push. Even now I'd love D'Lo to come in and tag up with Mizark

The tache alone did half the work. He wasnt ever the same when he shaved it off and went to WCW as Jimmy Grafitti

Archived