"Two Falls to a Finish" British Wrestling documentary traile

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
On 1/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, SuperBacon said:

Also, I’d like to let anyone associated with it that resents Greg Dyke know, that he once caught me pissing in his koi carp pond :)

As an act of protest? Or was it just incidental that with was Greg Dyke's pond? 

I’m assuming that Alex Shane had a hand in making this, as it starts off with “British Wrestling was the most popular thing ever in the history of ever...then it died because of Greg Dyke” and the entire second half consisted of “Alex Shane did this, then the FWA was really popular and Alex Shane is amazing” followed by 2 minutes of “thanks to the FWA we now have Progress, Southside and a bunch of others” before the credits roll.

@JNLister would probably be best to answer this. This doc throws out  that old adage (peddled by JJ Pallo) that more people watched Mick McManus v Jackie Pallo than the Cup Final which, I’m sorry, I just don’t believe for a second

• Paid Members

Here's what I have on itvwrestling.co.uk:

1962 & 1963: The FA Cup Final day specials, headlined by Mick McManus v Jackie Pallo is commonly referred to as "having more viewers than the Cup Final". We do not have any evidence to support or disprove these claims. However, in 1963 the claim was made as a matter of fact in at least one newspaper article several days before the event. As the football was shown on both BBC and ITV at this time, it is most likely that the wrestling had a larger audience than the ITV coverage of the game, rather than the combined football audience. The Wrestling Heritage site lists the wrestling audience as 16 million and the football at 12 million.

(I did read a book about sport on TV recently that said in this era it was a pretty common pattern that more people would watch the build-up to the Cup Final, which included the wrestling, on ITV than BBC, but then would switch over to BBC for the match itself.)

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

As an act of protest? Or was it just incidental that with was Greg Dyke's pond? 

Went to school with his daughter. So house parties at hers were frequent as she had a fuck off house.

To be fair, he was always a pretty sound guy to everyone and could’ve sent his kids private but he didn’t. But he was annoyed at me pissing in his pond, quite rightly.