Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

For what's its worth, I asked the @askwwenetwork Twitter account about stuff disappearing and whether it was policy or glitch and they replied "Nothing from our VOD library will be removed unless for a substantial reason."

• Paid Members

Started watching Great American Bash 1992 last night.

Fuck me that's some PPV, and what a roster! The tag tourney has Gordy/Williams, Steamboat/Koloff, Hase/Hashimoto, Hayes/Garvin, Liger/Pillman, Rhodes/Windham, and Austin/Rude, plus Vader and Sting for the world title!

It doesn't appear to be the full broadcast, but most of it is there, really good stuff.

• Paid Members
Started watching Great American Bash 1992 last night.

Fuck me that's some PPV, and what a roster! The tag tourney has Gordy/Williams, Steamboat/Koloff, Hase/Hashimoto, Hayes/Garvin, Liger/Pillman, Rhodes/Windham, and Austin/Rude, plus Vader and Sting for the world title!

It doesn't appear to be the full broadcast, but most of it is there, really good stuff.

Ha! I've been making my way through the early 90-93 WCW PPVs lately too, currently on Starrcade 1992 and WCW really is ahead of it's time isn't it?

I said the same thing when I was watching WCW 1996 on Youtube last summer, but if it was during my time, I'd have been a WCW guy through and through.

I had no idea how long some guys have been around though! Tony Schiavone was backstage during Starrcade 83', Harley Race was pretty much done by the time Flair was hitting his stride, when I thought they were from the same era, Cactus Jack was a fairly big name in early 90s WCW too, when I thought he only briefly appeared as a lower card jobber. Mad.

Missy Hyatt really fell of a cliff too didn't she?

Just finished watching WCW Superbrawl VIII, great show before it all started to go to pot. Jericho theme replaced with his first WWF theme and DDP's theme replaced too. As expected really, im amazed that WCW was able to use them. Suprised to see Michael Buffer wasn't edited out either. But I suppose if workers are getting paid individual royalties from network stuff then I suppose they don't need to pay him either. Can't believe WCW paid Buffer $200,000 per appearance. Talk about money for old rope

Decided to watch Starrcade 1997 yesterday and it's been said a million times before but it just reminded me what a complete screw up that show was on all possible levels. They really couldn't have ballsed up Hogan/Sting anymore if they'd tried.

Definitely the beginning of the end for WCW for me.

• Paid Members

No mass additions to the vault today like last week. Also if you click on a show in the coming days of the schedule and it hasn't already aired at least once, you get a message saying it will be available on demand after premiering.

In other words, it looks like they've settled down to the original plan which is that stuff gets added to the archive sections as and when it airs on the network rather than being available in advance.

(Confusingly the stuff is available in advance on PC if you figure out/find out the direct link, but that's a completely different issue to it being available through the interface menus.)

Edited by JNLister

Loving the WCW stuff in Hd.

There is no WCW stuff in HD. Wrestling wasn't shot in HD until 2008 (apart from one set of indie tapings in the nineties that may not have even happened).

True, but old footage shown in HD still looks amazing - I'm not overly familiar with the technology, but it's something to do with the HD tech drawing a lot more out of the analogue nature of the original footage than older displays could. I saw a number of old films on Blu-Ray recently, and I was shocked just how detailed they were in comparison to how I'd seen them on old screens.

Bit apples and oranges that. Old films were recorded on a large resolution so they could hold up when projected on a 30 foot wide screen. It just so happens all those extra lines are perfect for Blu-ray.

Whilst WCW wasn't quite taped in this way it'll be the best you're ever going to see it.

This thread needs more remlap.

I'd love to see some of the old newsreel wrestling and boxing in HD, not financially viable though.

• Paid Members
Next WrestleMania Rewind is Michaels-Austin (wonder if we'll get the Taker taped fist story) while this Saturday's DVD documentary is the nWo one.

Whoa, really? I hope they aren't doing them in order then, as that will mean they will have skipped from Wrestlemania 3 to 14.

• Paid Members

Just working my way through wcw 97 ppvs at present. I watched the 97 nitro set about a year ago again, so thought I go through these in order.

Superbrawl had a cracking start, piper coming out of prison after as he claims 7 days of hell, loved his tshirt too. Konnan was part of a 3 on 3, he got the win after a version if a sit down powerbomb. He looked quite pissed off after the finish. Was it somewhat botched as it seemed either like an attempted kick out, or did the ref call it too early?

Not sure if he has spoken of this in a shoot or anything.