Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Awards Moderator
On 9/22/2018 at 6:26 AM, Really Big Shoe said:

That's true but they wouldn't be the same quality as the official downloads. They'd likely have a HD download option so they'd be perfect 1:1 copies of shows out there if people chose to put them up on torrent sites/file sharing etc. Now I'd imagine they are stream ripped so there would I'm assuming be some quality loss/pixelation/compression in places. Something similar to iPlayer where you have 30 days to watch the show as a download then when that time expires the file becomes unreadable would work. Then even if they are shared after 30 days they'd be obsolete.

Almost all the downloads come from Sky Sports HD. Wouldn't be surprised if the Network ones are weak to save bandwidth. The BBC example is due to their licensing. 

• Paid Members

Does anyone else think this is potentially a big mistake? I've subscribed off an on in the past but other than Wrestlemania (which I could access elsewhere for free tbh) I've watched hardly any of the current product stuff, only the video archive and documentaries.

I wonder if there are many in the same boat or just nostalgia dickheads like me?

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Does anyone else think this is potentially a big mistake? I've subscribed off an on in the past but other than Wrestlemania (which I could access elsewhere for free tbh) I've watched hardly any of the current product stuff, only the video archive and documentaries.

I wonder if there are many in the same boat or just nostalgia dickheads like me?

Not really a mistake in their eyes, as I doubt they give a toss what people watch, so long as they're still paying up to watch something.

The most watched stuff on the Network tends to be live events and new content - though that's likely skewed because people aren't sitting down to watch a specific bit of archive content en masse, they're just cherry picking bits and pieces. It would be interesting to see if they measured how many people were watching new content vs., say, "PPVs 1998-2000". 

The only wrestling ive watched in the last few years have been the NXT takeovers and Wrestlemania. Just got the Network again and have started to watch the Mae Young classic from this year..  Can anyone recommened me some PPV that have been great and a few other things worth watching?

this week i'e started watching Raw again from 1998 onwards. Just after the king of the ring PPV. God the mai events were incredible but the undercards were so bad. All the val venis / kai en tai storylines and random LOD, vader, godfather matches were just all over the shop. They REALLY used Val Venis A LOT back then too. Like every week he had a big reaction and a lot of focus on his storylines.... Weird to see.

2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

This weeks Hidden Gems:

* Johnny Rodz v Carlos Colon - WWF, MSG 1/8/1977

* Latin Fury (Konnan) v The Juicer (Art Barr) - WWF Wrestling Challenge #282 Dark Match, 1/8/1992

* Nova v Eddie Guerrero - OVW, 20/11/2002

As much as I like Jim Cornette as a source of knowledge and expertise regarding wrestling, fuck is he an overbearing babyface commentator.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* Latin Fury (Konnan) v The Juicer (Art Barr) - WWF Wrestling Challenge #282 Dark Match, 1/8/1992

Christ, this is rubbish. Konnan looks like someone gave John Cena a wig and asked him to pretend to know lucha while gassing after 2 mins.

Art is like a parody of a WWF heel of the time. Like Repo Man on laughing gas. He establishes himself as the heel well, one bit where he looks at the camera and poses, he looks great, but he doesn't look good generally. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, there are points in that Guerrero/Nova match where Cornette never shuts up. He's got some good lines, but during Nova's comeback he doesn't even pause for breath. You're not doing a radio broadcast, let the visuals speak for themselves. The match is a bit rubbish, too.

Konnan/Art Barr is just surreal. Not exactly surprising neither got signed at the time, based on that. Konnan playing mid-90s WWF babyface is very odd, particularly when he's working under a generic name, while Art Barr is in his WCW copyright infringement gimmick, wearing a "FREE PEE WEE HERMAN" T-shirt. 

Super Crazy vs. El Hijo del Santo is really fun, though. Particularly given that it's barely five minutes including entrances. Santo just has a real grasp of the basics that shines through, while Crazy hits (especially for the time) one of the maddest moves I've ever seen - genuinely can't tell if it's what he's going for or a fuck-up, but it looks painful.

Really interesting selection on Hidden Gems this week. It's always a highlight for me. 

Eddie/Nova was OK but a bit disjointed. Nothing special but interesting to see Latino Heat's one and only OVW match. They had a much better match on the indies in 2001 (it's on YouTube). Fun story behind that one in that it was during the period where everyone was booking Eddie to put over their guy. The show was run by Nova's brother Donald and he wanted Nova to go over. Anyway, Nova refused out of respect for Eddie and then spent the rest of the day convincing Eddie to let him beat him. 

Crazy/Santo was a fun few minutes.  

3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Crazy hits (especially for the time) one of the maddest moves I've ever seen - genuinely can't tell if it's what he's going for or a fuck-up, but it looks painful

Pretty sure it was a botch. He was going for a splash but misjudged the distance on it. 

Barr/Konan is, as others have pointed out, very naff. Art looks really bad, with no look whatsoever and a tenth of the charisma he displayed during his Los Gringos Locos days. Konan playing high-flying claphands babyface was weird. They did a couple of cool things in there but the crowd didn't care. A match mainly notable for Konan's back acne, if nothing else. 

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Christ, this is rubbish. Konnan looks like someone gave John Cena a wig and asked him to pretend to know lucha while gassing after 2 mins.

Art is like a parody of a WWF heel of the time. Like Repo Man on laughing gas. He establishes himself as the heel well, one bit where he looks at the camera and poses, he looks great, but he doesn't look good generally. 

Out of the two, even though he'd fail the background check, I would've given Barr the job. He had personality and could work, but just too small and the shadow of the criminal record looming too close.