Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

On 3/17/2018 at 6:07 AM, Mr.Showtime said:

That's exactly how it was with me and my mates in the arena. Our attention was gone, we were pretty drunk and just joking away, but I was watching out of the corner of my eye and nudged a couple of mates saying "Look, he's going for a third F-5", not in a million years thinking that would be the end of it. The reaction is just something you can't describe. It felt like 80,000 people went silent, except for the 3 buddies who still hadn't paid attention and were being drunkenly loud about something completely different from what was going on. It took a few more seconds for them to click! It felt like a massive, massive mistake for ages.

I watched it in a bar in Sheffield with my mate and yeah, it was pretty similar to this. I remember actually being focused on the screen because when he hit the third F-5 I had a flash thought of 'wow, they're letting him kick out of three? That's surprising', and then the aforementioned Matrix-unplugging happened. I stared, literally open mouthed, for a good five minutes whilst my pal, who is a massive Lesnar mark (and, to be fair, so am I) jumped and yelled 'HE FUCKING DID IT MATE! HE'S BEATEN THE STREAK!'.

This was still not as heavy a reaction as the people on the table opposite, who just up and left immediately despite the fact you had to pay for a ticket to get in. @Supremo put it best - just an utterly incomparable moment.

• Paid Members

Was watching at the then-girlfriend's place with a couple of other lads from wrestling training - one of them always used to get on my nerves because he was obsessed with pointing out "botches", to the point that I sometimes doubted if he actually enjoyed wrestling at all, as his first comment after every PPV would be, "did you see so-and-so botch last night?"

There was the requisite stunned silence, and then this berk speaks up and says, "do you think it was a botch?", to which everyone pointed out that they had "21-1" graphics ready to roll, and Lesnar's music playing, so it seemed pretty fucking unlikely. He then started banging on about how it might have been Lesnar going into business for himself - to which pretty much everyone suggested that, if Brock Lesnar decided he was going to shoot on somebody, he'd be unlikely to do so by hitting the F5 and hooking the leg.

So that pillock pretty much ruined the sense of "what the fuck just happened?" by chatting shit almost immediately afterwards.

About halfway through the following match, the girlfriend suddenly remembered that she'd put a fiver on Brock to win and made a decent amount from it - and laughed in the face of one of the lads who had been calling her an idiot all week, and had put big money on 'Taker, saying it was just free money.

The aftermath of people trying to work out if it was a botch/audible over the following couple of days was better than the match. Some people tried claiming that the ref changed the finish- the fucking ref! As if he's going to make a decision that's 1) well above his pay grade, 2) on the biggest show of the year without consulting anyone, 3) ending one of the company's most marketable gimmicks without authorisation. I was shocked when it happened and reality set in with that 21-1 graphic, they had it ready to go but some were convinced that it wasn't supposed to happen, the amount of straw clutching afterwards was laughable. There was even an expose video yesterday on YouTube from the gimps at WrestleTalk TV claiming that Lesnar went into a shoot.

I did like the following years Msnia though, there was a guy with a '23-0' sign. I love the logic of if Taker beat Bray Wyatt so badly, he'd not only get this win, but also get a win back

I watched Mania 30 live, on my own on a dodgy stream in our living room with the wife fast asleep next to me. I accidentally woke her up twice- the first was Warrior's music hitting and him walking out and me going apeshit like I was 7 again and the other was the streak ending. It was really weird, the match wasn't great and my guard had totally dropped. I thought I'd misheard the count and it was a two but then realisation set in and it dawned on me what had happened, just a strange stunned silence. I couldn't believe that not only had it ended but it had ended like that, in such an oddly flat way but it made the impact all the bigger for it as it just seemed to come out of nowhere. Had Taker been on his game and not concussed the build up to the three count and the false finishes might have led to a different reaction, who knows. It's the only time I've walked in to work the next day and guys who don't watch wrestling were clambering over each other to ask me if I knew the streak had ended.

• Paid Members

That and the Reigns match both almost benefited from 'Taker being less than his best - as you say, I'm not sure the reaction would have been the same had it been this expertly paced melodrama. That it seemed so abrupt made it feel so much more unlikely, and so much more real, than if it had been this well orchestrated build to the finish. Dreadful match, but nobody remembers that part, they remember the few seconds after the finish. Imagine having to follow that.

Same thing with the Reigns match - you went in desperately not wanting it to be his last match, but by the time he's collapsing mid-Tombstone reversal, or failing to get the Hell's Gate in properly, by the end you were left thinking, "fair play, it's probably about time". Mad that they're having him come back after that, really.

I sort of guessed it was happening when it happened because of the rule of three.

In modern day WWE we have seen most of the top guys kick out of other top guys finishing moves once and sometimes twice, but I don’t think anyone has kicked out of the same finishing move three times in a big match like theirs.

After Lesnar connected with the third F5 I leaned forward in my chair but was still as shocked as everyone else when I actually saw it happen.

• Paid Members

Rule of threes is a really good point - though I'd probably been paying so little attention to the match by that point that I wouldn't have been able to tell you how many F5s had been hit in the first place.

• Paid Members

Rendered me and my brother speechless. We were dumbfounded throughout the womens match that came afterwards as well. It genuinely even took us a few minutes to get into the Bryan match as well. Even when we both went to bed, I remember my brother turning to me and saying 'what happens now'. Madness. Utter madness.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, dopper said:

In modern day WWE we have seen most of the top guys kick out of other top guys finishing moves once and sometimes twice, but I don’t think anyone has kicked out of the same finishing move three times in a big match like theirs.

I might be wrong, but I think Reigns kicked out of 4 AAs against Cena. And I'm pretty sure one of those was a Super AA.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Rule of threes is a really good point - though I'd probably been paying so little attention to the match by that point that I wouldn't have been able to tell you how many F5s had been hit in the first place.

100% what happened with me, I was bored shitless and because the third was hit without much hype or panache, plus by this time I never saw Taker losing at WrestleMania unless to Cena or to put an up-and-comer over, I just assumed he was kicking out.