Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I've started with Battle At Royal Albert Hall.

Same, I watched this last night. I loved that they had some guy wearing a phantom of the opera mask playing the organ for Undertaker's entrance, nice touch. I remember that vividly from when I was a kid.

My son sat and watched it with me and he instantly became a fan of British Bulldog and Legion of Doom. No wonder they were over. We then watched bits of other home video classics and naturally he liked Jake Roberts and took a huge dislike to Earthquake. That was in a couple of hours of watching old wrestling- other than John Cena he hasn't felt that passionately about any of today's wrestlers in a few years of watching.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, JNLister said:

They'd done two dates in 1989 and then a full-blown tour earlier in 1991.

The SummerSlam decision came the following spring when they did a tour of UK and Europe with the whole roster doing two shows a night and did so well they had to charter a jet to bring over more merchandise. Between that and a collapse in house show business in US, they decided to switch SummerSlam from the US.

I always thought it was a later decision than that to switch it from Washington to Wembley? Remember reading that there was an original card that was changed. Wasn't it going to be Bret and Shawn?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

My son sat and watched it with me and he instantly became a fan of British Bulldog and Legion of Doom. No wonder they were over. We then watched bits of other home video classics and naturally he liked Jake Roberts and took a huge dislike to Earthquake. That was in a couple of hours of watching old wrestling- other than John Cena he hasn't felt that passionately about any of today's wrestlers in a few years of watching.

It’s amazing isn’t it?

When people talk about there never being another boom due to no competition, you think back to 90-93, when there was arguably no competition, and they got it sooo right.

Im also aware of a couple of other kids who aren’t really bothered about modern era, they’ll watch it but half heartedly, but when they sit down with dad to watch some early 90’s stuff, the change in their attention is unbelievable. The figures come out, they walk in the room to entrance music, etc. It obviously help that Dad likes it too and it’s bonding time, but that era really does capture your heart and imagination. 

2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I always thought it was a later decision than that to switch it from Washington to Wembley? Remember reading that there was an original card that was changed. Wasn't it going to be Bret and Shawn?

I seem to remember the same thing as well, I also seem to recollect an Ultimate Warrior Papa Shango match being announced. When it was moved to Wembley the matches changed and the tag line "The Summerslam you thought you would never see" was added. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, the original card was all the stuff they were doing on the (poorly attended) US house shows. Off the top of my head, the announcement was Juneish, but they'd decided a few weeks earlier when they started having people talk about possible European venues on Superstars.

Again off my head, card was likely Savage-Flair, Warrior-Shango, Hart-Michaels, Bulldog-Repo Man, Natural Disasters-Money Inc?, Undertaker-Berzerker. Also they supposedly pencilled in Flair-Slaughter for Wembley and ditched it.

EDIT: Announcement was June 9th, so decision probably early May,

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members
On 06/02/2018 at 10:47 AM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Just before the HBK & Virgil match, Shawn cuts a promo backstage and says “Virgil has one good asset about him, one”.

I kept my eyes on Mean Gene, just in case he started to wobble.

The finish to that match was Triple H's inspiration for WM18.

Watching Supertape '92 and Alfred Hayes has a segment named Call of the Action where he goes into detail on some holds, including a sleeper (though in this case it's the Million Dollar Dream, but that goes unmentioned). The example shown on the vid is Virgil slapping it on Hercules of all people and putting him to sleep.

Had Virgil actually used this much at all after the split from DiBiase? Not sure if it's my mind just blanking but I can not ever remember him using it in the feud with MDM or onwards from that. Just looked so odd him putting it on Herc.

• Paid Members

I love the number of people who've decided to watch the Coliseum uploads in order and discovered that three minutes into the first tape (Bloopers, Bleeps and BodySlams) you have Fred Blassie doing domestic violence jokes.

3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Yeah I seem to remember him using it during his singles run. In fact, I can't think of any other moves he did, other than his little boxing shuffle.

Aye, he didn't seem to have anything that stuck out, despite on these home video releases touting his as "most improved athlete" and the like. Obviously that just ties to how much they tried to put people over back then. But seeing that sleeper put on Herc, it just completely threw me. 

It's great seeing a lot of these tapes again. Hoping Fan Favourites from '89 goes up at some point, lost that tape years ago. Decent one with matches "requested" by fans, including the sure fire 5* classic, Koko B.Ware v Brooklyn Brawler. Though there was a class Perfect v Santana match on that too.

• Paid Members

I've stuck Grudge Match 86 on. Interesting lineup of matches.

WWF Championship: Don Muraco w/ Mr Fuji Vs Hogan (c) (dressed in white). Muraco got all of about 30 seconds of offence in.

Terry Funk w/ Jimmy Hart Vs JYD. Happens twice. The second one is from an episode of Saturday Night's Main Event.

WWWF Championship: Bruno Sammartino Vs Ivan Koloff (c). This one is interesting because Monsoon is doing commentary, but also in the ring to break up a pull-apart between the two.

Footage of Greg Valentine winning the Intercontinental title from and injuring Tito Santana. Then hospital footage of Santana's knee surgery leading to

WWF Intercontinental Championship: Greg Valentine (c) w/ Jimmy Hart Vs Tito Santana.Steel cage match, but inside a more traditional steel cage with the chicken wire rather than that big blue one that looked like a climbing frame.

WWWF Championship: Superstar Billy Graham (c) w/ The Grand Wizard Vs Bruno Sammartino w/ Arnold Skaaland. Gorilla Monsoon is the special referee with Gorilla Monsoon on commentary as well.

Hulk Hogan & Mr T Vs Roddy Piper & Paul Orndoff from the main event of the first WrestleMania.

Loving the tapes too!

Just seen Harts v Lod and Warrior v Slaughter for the title where he beats Sarge clean! Must have been right before he loses to him at the rumble. Never knew it happened!

Finally got to see another Warrior loss - to Macho in the cage. Heard about that since I was a kid and never got to see it.

What are some of the best one's to watch lads?

• Paid Members

Watching UK Rampage '93.JR & Heenan are talking about it being football season in the UK and JR says "Sheffield Wednesday have a great football team." 

Heenan replies "What do they have Thursday?" He and JR are brilliant here. Ross is still trying to be legit sports commentator right now 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Heh, and within weeks of that event happening they lost two cup finals to us. Have some of that.

Are the UK Rampage events up? I saw some called Rampage, which seemed to be completely different, and couldn't find the UK ones. I'm up for the '91 tape, I watched that and the Royal Albert Hall battle royal countless times as a kid.