World of Sport Thread

Sphinx

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Breaks vs Vic Faulkner

This is probably the most heated WoS match you'll ever see. Faulkner was loved wherever he went, but here the crowd absolutely ADORE him, especially as this Welterweight title match comes off the back of a highly controversial angle in their previous encounter. Breaks cost Faulkner not just the match but also Vic's clean record, antagonising him to the point that he landed a punch on Breaks, getting himself disqualified. This was a MASSIVE deal. So here, the crowd are losing it from the get-go, and only get more fired up as Breaks deliberately taunts and provokes both his opponent and his second, tag partner and brother Bert Royal, trying to get Vic to disqualify himself again with another punch. I also wanted to post this match as it shows the proper way to use that now-overused "All Star" clapping. It is NOT for getting the crowd into the match. It is for popping the crowd when the heel is stalling. It also shows how good the traditional WoS rules were for building heat. I suppose they must have been ditched because it must be more entertaining to see heels beating on faces with impunity, I guess...

• Paid Members

I second the Jim Breaks love completely. Scrawny little guy, but he came across in such a way that you knew that he could cause you damage if he had a go. Match that up with excellent technical skill, and a character that built heat from the moment he got into the ring, to me made possible the best pro wrestler of all time. When we knew he was on WOS, everything stopped. Each match told a story that took you from shock at his underhanded tactics, to hilarity when he had one of his temper tantrums. Genius.

• Paid Members

I love the Breaks Special. Probably couldn't get away with it nowadays, same with Skull Murphy's Gator Clutch, but I just loved how every time he did it was basically a battle in stages with his opponent - grab opponent's arm, fight and push as he bends it inwards slowly, then lock it in and HUP. Give.

Archived