UFC 171: Hendricks vs Lawler

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

people were annoyed about Hendricks being pissed that the greatest oppurtunity of his career, a life/family changing oppurtunity was arguably ripped away from him. Hendricks had every right to be annoyed.

Hendricks across as a great guy, and it aint like just bitched about losing, he flat out said 'it wont happen again', he got back on the horse with a chip on his shoulder and went and earned his title, its a great everyman story.

• Paid Members

Jens Pulver is the man.

Hendrick's nickname actually stems from a competition on MMAjunkie radio, he was a regular guest back in the day and they did a thing on there to find Henricks a nickname, originally it was gonna be Johny "The Baconator" Hendricks, after Hendricks love of a certain burger at Burger King, but he went with Big Rigg in the end, probably for the best.

Was never fan of Pulver as a fighter, as I am a Penn fan, but I admire him greatly as a person. I have not read it, but his book is meant to be harrowing reading. His Father was meant to have treated him terribly when he was young. They talked about it once on Sherdog Radio, and one host said it made him amgry just thinking about it.

I am not going to go over old ground with Hendricks, but I should state I am not arguing he had no right to be annoyed. It is some of the things he said whilst annoyed that I disagreed with.

• Paid Members
people were annoyed about Hendricks being pissed that the greatest oppurtunity of his career, a life/family changing oppurtunity was arguably ripped away from him. Hendricks had every right to be annoyed.

Hendricks across as a great guy, and it aint like just bitched about losing, he flat out said 'it wont happen again', he got back on the horse with a chip on his shoulder and went and earned his title, its a great everyman story.

Like I said though, people were pretty split on Hendricks anyway, way before the GSP fight. It's not like people just turned on him because he moaned about the GSP decision. There were always people that liked him and people that found him annoying. I don't think it's all to do with the aftermath of the GSP decision.

One little thing that did irritate me though after the GSP fight, it wasn't that he was angry at the decision, but this 'look at Georges face. How can you say he won? I don't have a scratch on me' etc etc. He had a very valid argument against the decision that night but how marked up a guy is is a shite angle to take. If we're choosing winners based on how messed up a guy's face looks post-fight then Lawler beat Hendricks on Saturday night. It's a silly thing to bring up as well because some fighters mark up easier anyway. GSP's face looked pretty bad after the Condit and Shields fights as well but he definitely won those fights.

But whatever, that wasn't why I dislike him. I just find him irritating for whatever reason. And I did long before the GSP fight. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching him fight but I don't have to root for him either. The fact is we don't know any of these guys in 'real life' so we're basing like or dislike of them off what we see on TV. You just don't warm to some people. I get on with most people I meet but I'm sure there's some who just dislike me for whatever reason. No big deal really.

• Paid Members

Myself & a mate were watching the show, and at the start of the Condit/Woodley build-up video, it sounded like Creed was about to kick after one of Condit's sound-bytes, a la "WWE Desire" style video.

We laughed - and then I made the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x4jbtk6e29eyhs/C...0-%20Desire.mp4

This may help explain why Hendricks wasn't as successful with his takedowns and maybe didn't fight as he usually does;

Turns out the classic UFC 171 title fight between Robbie Lawler and Johny Hendricks comes with an additional twist -- as in, the man who emerged victorious and now holds the UFC

• Paid Members

haha he fooled me too, i said to the boys between rounds that Hendricks shoulder was messed up, Laimon asked him to whisper in his ear what was wrong and could be seen icing and looking at the shoulder, crafty fuckers...i guarantee that was a Laimon tactic.

Archived