Inside No. 9

The Invisible Boy

Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, half of The League of Gentlemen have recently had a new series showing on BBC 2 on Wednesdays at 10pm. Their last series was Psychoville which I absolutely loved and being a big fan of their's I thought I needed to check this out too and it is brilliant.

There have been three episodes so far, so we're half way through and the episodes are all stand alone stories, the only link to them is that they take place in a house, flat or room titled number nine.

The stories are similar to the old Tales of the Unexpected stories, meaning they have a sinister and dark feel to them with a plot twist in each one.

All three episodes so far have been great, the second episode was done with no dialogue for pretty much the whole episode and they pulled it off so well.

So yeah, was just wondering if anyone else has been watching and if you have and have seen episode three:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

In episode three, we know Gerri didn't exist as Stevie told Tom she'd died in an accident so Tom was imagining her but did Migg exist? Gerri (Tom's imagination) told Tom he didn't exist and to get him out of his head but the end sees Stevie finding Migg drowned in the bath, so I'm guessing Migg actually did exist and Tom murdered him thinking he was only his imagination. It makes me wonder if Migg was stealing Tom's money, deleting his messages and so on as we had seen him doing this and Tom looked down and out but in the last scene Tom seems to have sorted himself out again, which I don't think he could have done with Migg around him. Actually think I just got it, obviously once Tom killed Migg he got his life back on track as he started receiving his messages and money again.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Yeah it's top class stuff. The first episode is probably my favorite so far. Shearsmith is probably one of my favorite actors. I saw him in Ghost Stories in the West End, I was in the second row and was blown away by how good he was.

• Paid Members

I've only seen the first one so far but it was tremendous. I laughed out loud throughout until it took a seriously dark turn. Felt quite cold as the credits rolled.

Shearsmith and Pemberton are really good actors. Always liked LOG but this was even better.

• Paid Members
Reece Shearsmith particularly is a fantastic actor. Have to find a way to watch this.

His performance in this week's episode, Tom & Gerri, was fantastic, well worth tracking down.

I loved it, totally absorbing stuff. The chap who played Stevie was also brilliant.

• Paid Members

Watched the second and third eps this weekend.

Episode 2 was absolutely brilliant. The silent comedy concept was carried out well and unlike some things which try to be clever and so aren't funny, this was genuinely laugh out loud gold. Can't speak highly enough of it.

Episode 3 is a major shift in terms of comedy but was a brilliant story. I love that the twist came like the others but that wasn't it. Vince Russo wishes he could write like this.

• Paid Members
What d'ya think of episode 4? I thought it was creative and had a couple of funny moments but it was by far the weakest episode of the series. Does the lack of replies in the thread reflect that?

I can understand why they put is as number 4 but it seemed to have no real ending. The first 3 have set up a Tales Of The Unexpected style twist at the end and that episode just seemed to fall flat. It was still a good episode though.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed it and was laughing most the way through. The great twists of the previous weeks let it down though. The ending fell flat big time because I was expecting some cool twist. Steve Pemberton plays the best bastards on TV.

Archived