The UKFF Premier League Years

Bugsey713

Inspired by Tiger Ricks UKFF awards for years past and the fact the Premier League years are on a constant loop on Sky Sports I thought this would be a good way for us all to look back at previous seasons and talk about how football was better back in the day.

The categories I have so far are,

Player of the year :

Manager of the Year :

Best Transfer :

Biggest Transfer Flop :

The Charlie Adam Award ( Best player for a shit club) :

Goal of the Season :

Feel free to suggest more awards and even include a team of the year if you want.

• Paid Members

Player of the year : Either Jaap Stam or Manu Petit

Manager of the Year : Ferguson

Best Transfer : Jaap Stam

Biggest Transfer Flop : That Bakayoko Cunt

The Charlie Adam Award ( Best player for a shit club) : Kevin Campbell

Goal of the Season : Not a Premier League goal, but Giggs' FA Cup goal against the Arse is the one that sticks in me head. I remember Van Hooijdonk scoring a belter for Forest when his teammates blanked him, but against who, I have no idea.

1998/1999 was a grim season to be an Everton fan. I spent so much fucking money travelling back and forth that season. Kevin Campbell made it all better.

• Paid Members

I actually got laughed at (laughed at!) by some lads in my class when we came back from our Summer holidays. I put Jaap Stam in my dream team and about 4 lads pissed themselves as if I'd stuck Steve Potts in there. "He's shit" they said, giving me examples of the World Cup and the Charity Shield. I assured them he was the best defender in the entire world, and I was the second best for defending him in such a manner. I never let them forget it. Seriously, if I still see the lads in the town now I always go "remember when you said Jaap Stam was shite? eh? You were wrong weren't you?" So my advice is, if you are going to hold a grudge never let it go. A knackered old Gary Pallister was my other centre half. You'd think it would have been the perfect counter argument, but in fairness they probably aren't sad enough to remember my dream team 15 years later.

What made that United team so much better than any other United team for me was the opposition they had to overcome in that Arsenal side. What a team that was. They seemed to have a counter for what United had at the time. United had a great keeper, Arsenal had Seaman all over the 18 yard box. Covered it was. United had a strong back four, Arsenal had the ARSENAL BACK FOURâ„¢. They had big Pat knocking people over and driving forward, United had a skinhead Roy Keane. Giggs and Overmars tearing down the wings. Anelka and Bergkamp, Yorke and Cole. And the managers hated each other. And you even had Becks and Ljungberg having a gay off if you were into that sort of thing. I dont know if you'll ever get two teams with that amount of quality with a genuine hatred and respect for each other. You didn't get boring games with United and Arsenal. United winning the Treble was an astonishing achievement, made better by sneaking ahead of that lot.

I actually got laughed at (laughed at!) by some lads in my class when we came back from our Summer holidays. I put Jaap Stam in my dream team and about 4 lads pissed themselves as if I'd stuck Steve Potts in there.

Steve Potts is a legend! He even scored once that season!

Also West Ham finished 5th that season. So player of the season (other than Pottsy!) has to be Super Shaka, and best signing was DiCanio - sod Man Utd winning everything!

You're absolutely spot on though Ian about Arsenal making that Utd team.

Not a great season for Rovers fans at all. Me and the family moved back to the UK on 11th of May and watched us get relegated the following day. Now that is depressing.

Player of the year : Roy Keane

Manager of the Year : Fergie

Best Transfer : Jaap Stam or Dwight Yorke. The latter only for it being start of one of the most famous striking partnerships in Premiership history.

Biggest Transfer Flop : Kevin Davies. Cost us

Player of the year : Roy Keane

Manager of the Year : Alex Ferguson Special mention to John Gregory at Villa I thought they had a real good season finishing 6th

Best Transfer : Jaap Stam

Biggest Transfer Flop : Kevin Davies

The Charlie Adam Award ( Best player for a shit club) : Either Paulo Wanchope at Derby or Hamilton Rickard at Middlesbrough

Goal of the Season : Cant argue with Muzzy Izzets volley for Leicester

Archived