Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garynysmon

Wrestler Hometowns

Hell's Kitchen is a perfect place for a wrestler to be from. Anybody apart from Luther Reigns used it?

Kinky John. Not to be confused with "Old School" Oliver John.

Hearing Adrian Neville being announced from Newcastle, England fills me with pride being from Newcastle. On a slight side note, why was Axl Rotten billed from Newcastle, England when he was in ECW?...I can't imagine him being a Geordie.

Maybe he spun a globe and randomly placed his finger on a spot and were ever it landed he would use as his billed hometown...just a suggestion lol

I think it was when he was a guest on Colt Cabana's podcast where Axl Rotten said he wanted to have an English city as his kayfabe hometown due to Punk (the genre of music, not sulking pro-wrestler) starting up over here, and he didn't want somewhere already taken.

In the early 90's there was already Chris Adams (London), Lord Steven Regal (Blackpool) and Davey Boy Smith (Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Wigan) well established in WCW & WWF, so he randomly chose Newcastle.

I figured as much. Think Belfast would've been a better choice, with The Stiff Little Fingers and The Undertones.

Very true. Though, if I'm honest, I was always a little surprised that an American punk wouldn't want to use NYC; it can lay claim to being the birthplace of punk with The Ramones and The New York Dolls and all that. And he wouldn't have had to put on too much of an accent.

In regards to my past comment in this thread about CM Punk I was referring to the modern era of wrestling.

It just seems like he has a really strong connection with Chigaco and when WWE go there he gets the loudest crowd reaction. Do you think it's down to Punk being a high profile talent that he gets the reaction he gets in Chicago or do you thing regardless of his position in the roster he would still get those loud vocal local reactions?

Take for instance someone like The Miz. He's from Clevland. Do you think if The Miz was in the same position Punk is in he would get the same reaction in Clevland? Do you think it's a factor the individual themselves if they come across as being likeable to have people get behind the local guy?

Does WWE story lines also have a factor into this and how much of a star that person is presented?

In regards to my past comment in this thread about CM Punk I was referring to the modern era of wrestling.

It just seems like he has a really strong connection with Chigaco and when WWE go there he gets the loudest crowd reaction. Do you think it's down to Punk being a high profile talent that he gets the reaction he gets in Chicago or do you thing regardless of his position in the roster he would still get those loud vocal local reactions?

Take for instance someone like The Miz. He's from Clevland. Do you think if The Miz was in the same position Punk is in he would get the same reaction in Clevland? Do you think it's a factor the individual themselves if they come across as being likeable to have people get behind the local guy?

Does WWE story lines also have a factor into this and how much of a star that person is presented?

It is probably more that Chicago has always been one of the hottest WWF/E towns, combined with being Chicago born and bred being a strong part of Punk's character way back to his independent days.

Miz being from Cleveland was never integral to who he is. Even if he was a proper main eventer it probably wouldn't be the same.

I figured as much. Think Belfast would've been a better choice, with The Stiff Little Fingers and The Undertones.

Newcastle is where Venom come from however one of the pioneers of Death Metal, oh and Dire Straits. :music:

Or from the same period, from WCW Special Forces.

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense. Surely hometowns need to make a bit of sense.

Newcastle is where Venom come from however one of the pioneers of Death Metal, oh and Dire Straits. :music:

Yeah, but none of that's punk, though! Much as I love Dire Straits.

Or from the same period, from WCW Special Forces.

Yeah, that doesn't even make sense. Surely hometowns need to make a bit of sense.

They make as much sense as "From the darkest reaches of your mind", really.

I always found it odd that it was an emergency services gimmick that had that hometown, though - you'd think it'd be a military one, like that Major Stash/G.I. Bro lot.