Wrestler Hometowns

garynysmon

Was going to add in here. Is there anyone more over as a hometown guy than CM Punk in Chicago?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Thinking about it, my favourite is probably "Victoria, Texas" for Austin. Sounds humble and tough. Perfect.

"Battle Creek, Michigan" is also a great one. Has anyone ever used "Sparta, New Jersey"? UFC's Fightin' Miller Brothers are from there, but their camp's in Whippany so they get announced as fighting out of there instead.

• Paid Members

Apart from Hogan and Sting, was anyone else ever announced as from Venice Beach, CA.? I'd have thought a number of bodybuilder types would have that as their hometown.

• Paid Members
Off the top of my head, Brian Kendrick was announced from Venice, CA in his "The" Brian Kendrick run.

Oh yeah. I remember thinking that might have been a nod to his old Leonardo Spanky gimmick.

• Paid Members
Worst has to be James Tighe being announced from Chichester.

Just had a glance at what's around Chichester on Google Maps, and there's not much better he could have gone with. Fishbourne, Goodwood, East Wittering... West Sussex is a terrible place for a wrestler to be from.

Just had a glance at what's around Chichester on Google Maps, and there's not much better he could have gone with. Fishbourne, Goodwood, East Wittering... West Sussex is a terrible place for a wrestler to be from.

Through the foggy mists of time, I seem to recall a Mountbatten Centre FWA:A show where he was announced as "fighting out of" Southampton...for those of you unaware, the show was in Portsmouth, and yes, he was working heel that night.

• Paid Members

I never understood why he never played an aristocratic heel. He's got a naturally aristocratic face, got an aristocratic name, he's from one of the poshest-sounding towns in the Home Counties and he's a technician.

The funny thing is that James Tighe wasn't even from Chichester. He came from Wick, near Littlehampton, in West Sussex. However, someone (can't remember who now) when MCing a show thought he came from Chi and so announced him from there. After the show, he was moaning (he was very good at moaning, bless him) about being announced from Chichester as it would seem that people from Littlehampton don't like people from Chichester - a local rivalry, I guess.

Therefore, we ensured that subsequent regular FWA MCs Jane Childs and John Atkins ALWAYS announced him as being from Chichester as a rib, just to piss him off. I think he just grew to accept it in the end. I THINK he did anyway....

• Paid Members

That reminds me of Aviv Maayan - always announced as being from Wales and being called a "red dragon", with Nick London talking about him announcing he'd celebrate winning a title by listening to Goldie Lookin' Chain, despite the fact he's from Winchester (or somewhere in that area), has a modern Hebrew/Israeli name and doesn't even have a Welsh accent.

Archived